How to enter password on second page

martinliss
martinliss
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

I use an online bank and the website opens to a page that asks for my account number which it automatically fills in (protecting all but the last 4 characters with asterisks like credit card numbers). When I press 'Continue' it takes me to the password-entry page but my 1Password entry doesn't fire even though the URL for the two pages are the same. How do I get 1Password to enter my password on the second page?

1Password Version: 5.3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please take a look at this knowledge base article and see if it helps.

Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages

If that doesn't help (and so long as the URL is not confidential) tell us the problem URL and someone may be able to try to test it for you.

Stephen

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

That did help, thanks. Note that with my version it didn't ask me (or at least I didn't see) the option to update the existing login and so it created two logins. Is there any way to have the first login (username) automatically click "Continue" on the website, (which takes me to the password page) and have it automatically enter my password and click 'OK'?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

I'm glad that the instructions Stephen gave you helped!

Is there any way to have the first login (username) automatically click "Continue" on the website, (which takes me to the password page) and have it automatically enter my password and click 'OK'?

With multiple page Logins, you are going to have to do some manual intervention (such as clicking that 'continue' button, and then invoking 1Password on the second page to have it fill.) Depending on the website and how it's set up though, you can sometimes make it work with a single entry in 1Password. Without knowing which site you're using, I can't say whether it's possible here or not, but you're welcome to try adding your password to your first Login and see if 1Password can pull the details from that entry for both pages of the site.

I hope this helps, but if you'd like some more specific help, please let us know the URL so we can do some testing on our end. :)

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

The site is

https://secure.capitalone360.com/myaccount/banking/login.vm

I did try adding the password to the first page's entry but it didn't help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

When you say "it didn't help" to add the password to the Login item you created for the username, do you mean it doesn't automatically fill your password on the second page, or do you mean you can't get it to fill your password at all?

If you mean it doesn't automatically happen, please note that because the username and password are on separate pages of the site, you'll need to invoke 1Password twice (once to enter your username on the first page, and a second time to enter your password on the second page). To make it easier, you can use the ⌘\ Command+\ keyboard shortcut to have 1Password fill your data.

On the other hand, if you mean that you can't get 1Password to fill the password at all when you click the extension icon or use the keyboard shortcut, you might need to create a second/separate Login item just for the password.

Does that help? If not, please let us know exactly what happens. Thanks!

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

I have to logins, one for each page as shortcuts in my browser's (Safari) Bookmark menu. As it is I need to click the first shortcut, click 'Continue', click the second shortcut and then click 'Continue' again. While that's not really burdensome, I was hoping to eliminate some steps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

You shouldn't need more than one bookmark in Safari for that site. Just use the bookmark to open the main login page for that site, then use the 1Password extension to fill your username. That should take you to the second page where it asks for your password, and you can use the 1Password extension again to fill that. If you have both your username and password for that site saved in the same Login item in 1Password, here's an example of the steps you can take to sign in:

1. Open the site in your browser (by using a bookmark, or manually typing the URL).
    2. On the first page, press Command+\ to have 1Password fill and submit your username.
    3. On the second page, press Command+\ to have 1Password fill and submit your password.

If it doesn't work the way I've described, please let us know exact what happens instead, and hopefully we'll be able to figure out why.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    1. Open the site in your browser (by using a bookmark, or manually typing the URL).
      I used the URL that I posted above to get to the site.

2. On the first page, press Command+\ to have 1Password fill and submit your username.
      I found I had to have 1Password open to do this. Pressing Command+\ did not seem to do anything different than pressing the first of the two menu bar bookmarks that I talked about above. Actually it really doesn't do anything because while I assume it would have filled in my username, the name is always placed there by the site. It does not take me to the password page and I have to manually click 'Continue'.

3. On the second page, press Command+\ to have 1Password fill and submit your password.
      It fills in the password but I have to click 'Continue' to get to my data.

It behaves the same if I have both my username and password in the first shortcut.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

So let's take this step by step.

Step 1 is pretty normal, I often open up sites using Safari bookmarks rather than via 1Password.

Step 2 I can't comment on. I purge almost all cookies on browser close so I don't have any sites where it will pre-populate a field as it seems to be doing for you. I don't know if it's cookies or if it's Safari's password manager as I have that disabled too. It could be that having Safari filling in the field is interfering with 1Password attempting to submit but given you note the same behaviour in the second page it might not be.

Step 3. If it is filling then the Login is working which is good! So it would seem the submitting after filling is the part we need to look at.

The first thing to check is to see if it's enabled globally. If you open 1Password's preferences what do you see in the Browser tab? We need the top option, Automatically submit logins after filling enabled. This option can also be set per Login item so we need to check there too. If you edit your Capital One Login item from within the main 1Password window you will see two new options visible at the bottom. The one we're interested in is titled submit. Now the default is Submit when enabled but if for some reason it has been set to Never submit that would also explain why it isn't trying to submit.

Let's see if the submit line of enquiry brings up any leads.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

OK, some progress. I did not have 'Automatically submit logins after filling' set and so with some small difficulty finding the folder where 1Password wanted me to store the script (I had to use Spotlight), I turned the option on. The second login now works. That is when I get to the password entry page selecting the second 1Password Login automatically enters the password and takes me to my data. The first Login still requires me to press 'Continue'. It does not send me to the password page even if I blank out the username field and submit the first Login again. Here's a picture of the first Login.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

Well we're making progress and that always has to be a positive :smile:

So I'd like you to try a couple of things for me please.

1. Enter Safari's preferences and switch to the Privacy tab.
    2. Click the Details... button. It takes a second for it to pop up for me and it's just under the Remove All Website Data... button which you don't need to press.
    3. Search for capitalone360. As you type the list is filtered and you'll soon only have that cookie present.
    4. Select the cookie and click the Remove button before clicking Done.

This will hopefully remove the fact that Capital One is remembering your username. Normally that might be handy but I think it's interfering. If that doesn't change anything please let us know as maybe it's Safari's password manager. We can remove that as a possibility by reentering Safari's preferences and switching to the Passwords tab. In there ensure the AutoFill user names and passwords is not ticked (so disabled). Between that and the cookie stuff above does your username still fill in automatically? Hopefully not.

Now to create a new Login item that covers both pages. This should hopefully work for you.

1. Visit https://secure.capitalone360.com/myaccount/banking/login.vm in Safari.
    2. Type your username into the relevant field.
    3. The following keyboard shortcuts will instruct 1Password to prompt you with the 1Password Save Login window. The sequence is: ⌥⌘\ (this brings up 1Password mini) ⌘, (this is the equivalent of clicking on the cog) ⌘N (this is the shortcut for the Save new Login option).
    4. Give it an appropriate name and click the Save button.
    5. Click on the Continue button on the web page to be taken to the password page.
    6. Enter your password.
    7. Follow step 3 again.
    8. You aren't going to save a new Login item, instead you're going to change the option from Save new Login to Update existing Login. The images below should help.
    9. Make sure the Login item you created in step 4 is the one selected and click the Update button.
    10. Open the main 1Password window and select this new item. You will notice that it has updated the username to the word Search. Edit the item (the Edit button is the in the bottom right hand corner) and type your real username into the username field at the top of the item. Don't worry, altering it at the top will correct the web form details section.

When I follow those steps I have a single Login item that fills in both pages and, at least for me, manages to correctly submit after filling. Hopefully you will as well but if not we will continue working with you.

Now for the images I referred to in step 8.

I've highlighted the menu selector as I know many miss it's existence completely

That should lead to the following options.

Now the Update existing Login option is disabled unless there is an existing Login that matches the URL. So if it's ever disabled when you think it should be enabled you want to check URLs as the likely culprit.

Fingers crossed and hopefully you'll be reporting success :smile:

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

I deleted the cookie and that corrected the problem with the first login. I can't however get a single login to do both after following your directions. Here's what the combined login looks like. Note that both 'password' fields show the same, correct, password.

Interestingly when I get to the password entry page my 'Capitalone360 pswd' login gets me to my data, but if I start with that one it goes to and fills in my username on the first page and takes me to the second page but does not enter the password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

Now just to make sure I haven't caused any confusion, are you saying that you can fill on the username page and it will submit after filling but once you're taken to the password page a second ⌘\ doesn't fill the password as expected? We talked about that earlier in the thread but I just want to make sure we're on the same wavelength.

Your item looks the same as mine. If I use ⌘\ on the username page it fills in my test username and I proceed to the password page. Once that has loaded a second ⌘\ fills in the password and then the site politely tells me no because I'm definitely not a customer of theirs :wink:

It seems like we're so close, hopefully it's one small hurdle.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Now just to make sure I haven't caused any confusion, are you saying that you can fill on the username page and it will submit after filling but once you're taken to the password page a second ⌘\ doesn't fill the password as expected?

No, I just tried that and it does work! I was assuming that what you were describing above was a way to do it all with one ⌘\ . I assume then that that's not possible and that's OK.

(BTW how do I go about placing ⌘\ in the little box like you do?)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss

It sounds like we're at the stage where your Login works as well as it can within 1Password. All of my multi-page Login items require the use of two invocations of ⌘\ to fill the two pages so I apologise for any confusion I caused with my choice of words. If you don't mind this particular limitation hopefully we've found a working solution :smile:

Now as to your other query, That little box is when you flag a selection of text as code. You can do this using either the back tick, the key to the left of the letter z on the standard Mac keyboard or you can select the text and use the formatting menu available here in the forums. This screenshot should help.

In the forums I find it handy for talking about file paths or keyboard shortcuts, just to make them stand out.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

I'm happy the way it is but let me suggest the "one-click" solution as a new feature for a future upgrade. Thank you and the others for all your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

I recently created a feature request for this. We've seen a bit more interest recently after Google changed their login process so I'll add your request to it too :smile:

ref: OPX-998

This discussion has been closed.