ssl error downloading 5.3.1 or 5.3.2

kmart05
kmart05
Community Member

Running mac os x 10.10.3. On start of the mac, I get an update notice for 1Password 5.3.1. When I try to download it using Safari 8.0.6 I get "Download failed. An SSL error has occurred...". Tried 5.3.2 from your downloads page and have the same problem. Chrome just returns "network error" trying to download 5.3.2. Your help is appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kmart05 ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble downloading the latest version of 1Password. Since you're seeing an error in multiple browsers, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a firewall preventing the download from succeeding - do you have any firewall software installed, or is the system firewall enabled?

I'd also like to know if you can help us gather a bit more information about this. When you get these errors, there should be an option to 'learn more' ... could you select that option and let us know what other details you're given?

Thanks for helping us to track this down. :)

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

Megan,

I don't have any firewall software installed and have even tried turning off virus protection. I get no option to "learn more" when the error occurs. A screen shot of the window is attached. Thanks.!

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

One other comment, I have no problem connecting to other sites using SSL.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kmart05,

Can you check something for me please. You mention that you've tried Safari and no doubt Chrome can do something similar too.

If I visit our AgileBits Download page, which you've also tried, then in my address bar I have a little padlock and if I click on it and expand the tree I can eventually see the following details

I'd be quite curious to see what you get. Maybe it can help determine why you're fighting with SSL when we aren't.

SSL.png 151.5K
  • kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

Megan, a screen shot of the certificate info is attached. It is not the same as what you sent.

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

Megan, I disabled Kaspersky URL advisor in Safari and I can't go the download page at all. Seems like it stripping the https from the URL.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kmart05,

Well we've definitely discovered the cause I'd say. When you say you disabled Kaspersky URL Advisor in Safari, did you do so using the steps in this guide?

How to install/delete browser extensions in Kaspersky Security for Mac?

My recommendation would be to try that if you haven't already and to follow it up with a reboot of your Mac.

Please do keep us updated as to your progress.

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

Yes I did follow those steps and I'm still having the problem. Is the difference between the certificate you sent and the one I attached the cause of the problem?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I can't say for certain @kmart05 but that is my very strong suspicion. My understanding is Kaspersky are creating their own SSL certificates for every site that wishes to use SSL. They're replacing our own SSL certificate with theirs so they can monitor the connection, I'm assuming for what they see as noble reasons but I can't help and wonder if it's the cause of the problem here.

After you disabled the URL Advisor, rebooted and you visit our site again, is it still showing as the certificate being issued by Kaspersky? My understanding is that should have removed their certificate completely to return your Mac to normal behaviour.

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

I have completely removed the Kaspersky program. When I start my mac, a window appears asking if I want to update 1Password. I click install and the update gives me the error. A screen shot of the error is attached. This is from the the 1Password updater application and not a browser.

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

I forgot to mention that the certificates are now the same after removing Kaspersky, But I still can't install the update. I downloaded 1Password-5.3.2.zip.download. I click on this and the new download begins. After around 16M, it fails and the download status in Safari shows "an SSL error has occurred.

• agiletim
    agiletim
    1Password Alumni

@kmart05 : What happens when you try downloading update directly ?
    https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-5.3.2.zip

can you open https://cache.agilebits.com/ ?

It looks to me that you still have some settings left from Kaspersky.
    Please check you proxy settings in System Preferences -> Network -> (your active connection name) -> Advanced -> Proxies

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kmart05,

Thanks for the additional information.

While we continue tracking down this problem can you give this workaround a try and let us know the result?

When the 1Password Updater app opens, select either Amazon CloudFront or AgileBits under the Source menu (before first clicking Install Update in its Software Update window) to override the CacheFly default:

Thanks again!

• kmart05
    kmart05
    Community Member

Thanks very much! The Amazon source worked. I didn't even notice that menu item before.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, thanks for letting us know that worked!

Hopefully everything will work perfectly for you from now on, but if you run into any more issues or have any questions, just let us know. :)

• JHirschi
    JHirschi
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Same problem here. But I'm in a Catch 22...Using the beta version, which has expired, and the beta directs me to download directly from https://op5.agilebits.com/guide/en/release_notes_beta, not offering the 1Password Updater and the Source choice. Also tried downloading the regular, non-beta release from https://app-updates.agilebits.com/ with the same error. Is there a direct link to the alternate source? Oh, and I'm showing the correct & valid certificate from AlphaSSL expiring 10/19/2018.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JHirschi,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that! You should be able to download the latest beta from the first link in your message. The latest beta for 1Password 5 for Mac is 5.4.BETA-21, and is not yet expired. However, you mentioned this:

Also tried downloading the regular, non-beta release from https://app-updates.agilebits.com/ with the same error.

I'm assuming you're referring to version 5.3.2, which is not a beta version, so it should never give you a message about the beta being expired. Is is possible you're getting a "Trial Expired" message, rather than a "beta expired" message? In that case, it has nothing to do with the beta, it just means you need to apply your license file. I see that you purchased a license last year, so you should be able to add your license file by following the steps in this knowledgebase article. I've resent your license information to your email, to make it a bit easier.

Does that help? If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Thanks!

• JHirschi
    JHirschi
    Community Member

I think you've misunderstood, Drew. I'm saying that a download of either the current beta or the current non-beta, from the links is listed previously, get the same error downloading on a Mac as kmart05. I tried both the Chrome browser and Safari. I am using the beta on my Mac; it has expired and is sending me to the download page to download the current beta, but the download fails--the installed beta does not use the 1Password Updater with a Source option. Then I tried downloading the non-beta and got the same error. I am, however, able to download either from Windows 8.1 and Chrome. From both kmart05 and my experience downloading from OS X with the same error, it seems like you have a compatibility issue with SSL and Macs.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JHirschi,

Sorry if I misunderstood!

...get the same error downloading on a Mac as kmart05.

The error that kmart05 was getting said "Download failed. An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." It appeared when trying to install the update from the "Check for Updates" option within the 1Password app.

If that's the same way you're trying to install the update and you get the same error, you should be able to follow these steps:

• Launch 1Password and check for updates.
    • Before clicking the Install Update button, you'll need to go to the Source menu of the 1Password Updater app, and select either Amazon CloudFront or AgileBits.

• Once you've selected one of those options, you can click the Install Update button.

Now, if that doesn't work, you should be able to simply download the latest, full copy of the app instead of going through the update process. First, go to our download site. If you want the latest beta version, click the link for "Enable betas" (near the top right), then click the "Download beta" button under 1Password for Mac.

If that doesn't work, try going to our beta release notes and click the "download" button next to the latest beta. Alternately, you can try this direct download link for 5.4.BETA-21 (currently the latest beta): https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-5.4.BETA-21.zip

If for any reason none of those download options work for you, go to our download site and try downloading the latest stable release (version 5.3.2) instead of the beta. Or, go to our regular release notes and click the "download" button next to version 5.3.2. Or, try this direct download link for version 5.3.2: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-5.3.2.zip

What happens with those options? Hopefully you end up downloading a zip file that you can unzip, then move the app to the Applications folder and replace the old beta version. If not, please let us know exactly what happens. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.