Locked Out...

Options
bernard73
bernard73
Community Member

I have been having issues logging in to my account recently, but i know my password. Today, I have been locked out and now I see there is touch ID. Wish this was the case earlier, now over 154 items are gone from my account. I can not seem to get in. Any suggestions....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

I had the most recent updates for 1password.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You need to provide more specific information in order that we can help you. Please tell us:

I am puzzled by this:

now I see there is touch ID

Touch ID is relevant for unlocking only 1P for iOS and is not relevant for 1P for Mac. Although you're posting on the 1P for Mac forum I'm wondering if your problem in fact relates to 1P for iOS. If that's the case please tell us when you reply and someone will move the thread to the 1P for iOS forum where you'll get more help.

Just to clarify further, when you say:

Today, I have been locked out

do you mean 1P is not accepting your master password? If so this knowledge base article may help.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernard73,

I'm sorry you're having trouble unlocking 1Password! Did the information from Stephen help at all? If not, please do let us know the information he asked for, and we should have a much better idea how to help. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you!

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

Drew & Stephen, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. This began on my iPhone which is/was syncing over wifi to my Mac and my iPad. I did the backup restore and nothing worked on that either. I am really at a loss right now. All of my passwords are on here, I know what my two passwords are/have been, and now it is not accepting either. I look forward to hearing back from you.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please let us have replies to the specific questions in my previous post. It's very difficult to help you without having that information.

I'm guessing your master password is not being accepted and that you have at some time changed it. Is that correct?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernard73,

Sorry for the delay in responding. There should be very few causes for a non-working Master Password, the obvious ones being covered in the link Stephen_C posted earlier, My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?.

Now when you backup the encrypted SQLite database file (that's the local copy of all the vaults on your Mac) it also backs up the current encryption keys as they're part of the file. These keys are what are actually unlocked with your Master Password so as you can begin to understand, the backup will only be unlocked with the Master Password used at that point in time - they backups are a historical snapshot of your vault. If a backup cannot be unlocked it would suggest the issue is elsewhere. I would suggest going as far as trying to type your Master Password elsewhere can copying and pasting it into 1Password for Mac. Does the Master Password look correct when it's visible and does it still not unlock your vault? If it looks different at all it might suggest a keyboard layout issue.

In matters like this it helps to be as descriptive as you can when you report back. When did the trouble start, was it on the 29th as suggested in your first post and what backups did you try restoring (in terms of dates). If we know what you've tried it will save us suggesting stuff you've already done you see which certainly won't help. Hopefully we can work this out.

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate all of the help, let me respond to allow you the exact situation and how it started.

Two weeks ago, I changed my password for the only time since I have been with 1Password. When I began logging on with my iPhone(which is where I initially changed the password), I started having issues in logging on. It would state an error, but then allow me to log in once I retyped the same password.

Fast forward to the 28th-29th, I tried logging on after the app was accidentally erased from the iPhone and it kept telling me Please Try Again. I then tried to log on onto my MAC and the same issue arose telling me to Please Try Again. I know the password as it is a password I Truly Can Not Forget...

If you can please guide me further, I would greatly appreciate the help. Before the response though, I will try your methods of using a backup, utilizing the other password that I know what it is. I have had 1Password for almost two years now (I believe) so knowing that password would be very easy to recall.

Bernard

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernard73,

If you are running the latest version of 1Password on both your Mac and iOS device (5.3/5.3.2 for Mac and 5.4.2 for iOS) then the change to your Master Password should have synchronised over Wi-Fi. Was this the case, did you Mac require the new Master Password and did it accept it without fuss?

It might be you need to try the latest backup that predates the change to your Master Password. It may mean some newer items are lost as a result but at the moment I think regaining most of your vault would be better than the situation you seem to be in.

Can I ask, without giving it away what was your new Master Password like? did it consist just of alphanumeric characters or did you have a number of symbols or accented characters in there at all? I'm just trying to think of anything that might stand out about your new Master Password. Is it possible at all that the trouble of having your new Master Password accepted on your iOS device was because of an unrealised typo? I know I struggle with the iOS keyboard - my success rate with the space key is shocking. Now that would only work if you made this typo a lot as it would have had to have been replicated in both the first entering of your new Master Password and then the confirmation too.

As you can see it's a lot of grasping at straws really. We can only hope that a backup works. Please do keep us informed.

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

I updated the 1Password on the Mac, even created a new account and then the application wouldn't let me in with that one. I created another account onto my iPhone, but guess what, now hat won't even sync with the Mac. My wife had the same not syncing issue but luckily she heard me talking about my issue and was able to get ahold of it before having the same outcome.

I have gone back to each of the previous 10 backups with the password I know, and still no luck. The crazy thing is, when I went to keychain, I had a lot of old passwords in there except, you guessed it, 1Password.

This has got to be the most amazing thing ever. I had 154 items in this account and I know not all of them are saved onto my keychain. I wish I had some ability to go back and undo this but it seems lost and I am very frustrated about this. Sorry I am rambling on but really my money is in this app and now it's gone...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sadly, if the backups aren't responding to any of the possible Master Password options and it's definitely not any of the other factors @bernard73 then it would seem there is little else we can try. We can't reset a Master Password because that would represent a backdoor into a person's vault - it's all been designed so only the known Master Password gains you access and I'm at a loss why older backups are not responding to the old Master Password. Everything I know, everything I've experienced in relation to 1Password says this shouldn't be the case.

Can I ask, what date range did the 10 backups cover and was there just 10 backups in the list? I would have expected more unless you vault doesn't tend to change much.

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

I have 45 backups...now I just want to start over. I tried that but it won't allow that to happen. I am very upset right now with this product. I purposely did everything you asked, then I established a new vault and wrote the password down. It doesn't even accept that password. This is truly, truly a joke. You can look at this and continue to tell me what to do, I can go to a professional, I can even back my computer up and go to a backup 5 months ago. I isn't syncing with my Mac and phone. Now I am stuck not having it on my Mac. Agilebits has really lost me on this one....

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

The dates of the backups range from May 15 to October 14.... forgot to add that part in there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernard73,

You can of course start over again, I just wanted to make sure we had truly exhausted any chance of retrieving your vault before doing so.

While we don't have a simple menu option for starting over we do have a guide that if followed step by step will allow you to start over with a completely new vault. It may seem an odd decision to make it this seemingly difficult to start over but if there's a chance we can save a vault by helping a user before they start over it would seem worth it.

With a brand new vault on your Mac I would recommend adding even just a single item so the vault contains something and then you can start over on your iOS device and have it initialise the iOS vault using Wi-Fi Sync. The two vaults will then be new, with the new Master Password and already set up to sync.

• bernard73
    bernard73
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your assistance. This has been a very trying time and I am going through my keychain trying to write down all of the passwords. I appreciate your support and still have a very good view of 1password in spite of this situation.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernard73 ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having so much trouble here. I'm glad that littlebobbytables has been able to help you work through this.

Thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password. I hope that the app behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions, or hit any other snags, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.