Editing a record #fail: [password] updated but [username] did not

Options
WellKnownFact
WellKnownFact
Community Member

Within the 1Password Mac OS X app, I made changes to an existing login record in both the username and password fields, but I lost the new username.

Here is what I did:

1. I opened an existing login record that had a properly working username and password (and URL, but that did not change and was not a part of the problem) and clocked "edit".
  2. I clicked on the password generator tool to create a new, long username. I copied this new value into the username field and pasted it on top of my old username.
  3. I clicked on the password generator (a second time) to generate a new, long password. I left the value generated right in the password field where it had just been created.
  4. I clicked on the "save" button.
  5. I noticed that the username value changed from the new value and reverted back to the old value. The value in the password field was the expected (correct) new value.

As a result, I have now lost a 1P-generated username that was great and complex, but I have no record of it. Any ideas how I can avoid this in the future?

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WellKnownFact ,

Thanks for providing such a clear report of your steps! I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. Now, I've tried to re-create the issue here, but I'm not having any luck so far. Are you able to reproduce this on your machine? If you duplicate an entry (just so you're not making changes to a Login that you'll need later) does the same thing happen?

I'd also love to know if you're currently syncing your 1Password database to any other devices - this will help us determine if sync might be playing a part in these shenanigans. :)

This discussion has been closed.