1password5 freezes constantly

Options
garfield9
garfield9
Community Member

I used the app for years without problems. Suddenly the app hangs. When entering my password, the login takes several minutes with the colored OSX wheel spinning, then the app shows my saved passwords. Anytime I click on something, the app hangs again for minutes. I had just registered the app (because I'm using a new computer) and maybe it happened right after that but I can't tell for sure.
I tried uninstalling (and removing the data file in library folder) but I got the same problem again (the app was still registered after reinstalling so maybe the uninstall wasn't complete). Please advise.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garfield9,

I'm sorry you're having this problem with 1Password! To help us figure out what's causing that, can you please let us know some more details:

• Is this problem happening in the main 1Password app, or in the 1Password browser extension (or both)?
    • Does the problem happen every time you unlock with your master password or click on something, or only sometimes?
    • Does the same problem happen after rebooting your Mac?
    • What exact version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?

Thanks!

• garfield9
    garfield9
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for responding so quickly; that's fantastic service.

It happens in both the app and the browser extension (firefox). But something interesting happened right now: After waiting several minutes for the app to become responsive again, I had clicked on a different folder. Suddenly, the app remained responsive. I could log out, log back in, select different folders, everything worked fine. Only when I select a specific folder, the app hangs. Examining the logins saved in that folder, there's a single login with a lot of data in the 'notes' field. At some point, years ago, I believe I imported this data from KeypassX(?) and this particular login had a file attachment with a single file about 1-2MB in size. This attachment has been converted into a long alphanumerical string which is now part of the 'notes' field. I do not remember if 1Password did this conversion or if this happened some other way, e.g. if I exported the data from KeypassX and that's how the attachment became part of the 'notes' field.

Anyhow, if I select this folder now, the app hangs. If I force-quit the app and log back in, I get the same problem because the app remembered the last viewed location.

I sync with dropbox so I just went online to check out this particular login. The notes field is like this:
    "Icon: 0
    Creation Time: 2009-11-24 17:12:51
    Last Access: 2011-09-19 16:22:12
    Last Modification: 2011-09-19 16:22:12
    Attachment Description: DSC_0090.jpg
    Attachment: /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAgEBLAEsAAD/4RHoRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIA..."

The string of the attachment is much, much larger, obviously. This may look familiar to you. If not, it probably happened during export from the app I sued before, rather than during import from 1Password.

Obviously, I need to delete this entry, probably best done on the web interface via dropbox since this is more responsive. Any idea on how to get my attachment back? Do you recognize this encoding? I realize this may now go beyond direct support for the app but I wouldn't know whom else to ask.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garfield9,

I have my doubts that we'll be able to recover the image if it's sitting as a note field in the item. When I view an image from a terminal it looks radically different. As such I have a couple of questions.

1. Despite all the issues you're having with 1Password for Mac, can you view the item from within the main program at all?
    2. If you can, does it show as having no attachment there?
    3. Open 1Password's preferences, switch to the Backup tab and click on the Show Files button. This will open a Finder window pointing to where your backup files are located. If you expand the view to show you the full name you'll see all sorts of information in the filename for each backup, including the number of attachments stored. Do you see the number of attachments drop by one at all anywhere? The purpose of this query is to see if we can find a backup where the attachment existed in the proper form.

Hopefully we can help you regain access, the answers to those questions may help determine how likely it is. Fingers crossed!

• garfield9
    garfield9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for trying to help me further with this.

Yes, I can access the item with the main app but it hangs as explained above. The app does not show an attachment. That seems to suggest that the note was created by exporting from another app.

The Backup tab shows the last 5 daily backups, they all have exactly 8 attachments. It is quite possible that the problem existed for a long time and that I only notice it now because I now navigated to this specific item with the 2MB notes field.

At this point, I think the best way to move forward is to delete the item in question; then 1Password should behave normally again. As for the notes field with the encrypted image file, I will try to see if I can find the data belonging to the KeypassX app that I used before.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garfield9,

I've never heard of a working attachment in 1Password suddenly being converted into code/text and put in the notes field, so I suspect your theory is correct, and that somehow happened during the process of exporting/importing your data from KeypassX into 1Password but wasn't noticed until recently. If you have older backups in 1Password, you can always try restoring those to see if a working copy of that attachment is there (but make sure you make a new backup of your current data first, so you can restore that after trying the older backups).

I think you're right that you'll need to delete that item from 1Password in order to solve the problem (or at least delete the text from the notes field of that item). If you delete the whole item, make sure you save the other important data it contains first. I do hope you're able to find an old copy of that attachment! Please let us know how it all works out, and if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• garfield9
    garfield9
    Community Member
    Options

I finally got around to installing KeypassX on a virtual machine, found the original password file I used with that program, and extracted the image attachment. Now I could delete the entry with the extra long notes field in 1Password, which now no longer hangs and is as responsive as it used to be. Thank you again for your quick help in the matter.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garfield9, thanks for following up to let us know about that! I'm glad you were able to get a working copy of that attachment. :)

Hopefully everything continues to work well in 1Password, but if you run into more problems or have any questions, just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.