irishdick
    Community Member
    Options

forgot my secret question

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Are you referring to your master password for 1Password? If you are and you have truly forgotten it, no one can help you get access to your data. There is no back door. The only way to get your data is to know the correct master password. The application is designed that way for security reasons. If anyone can get in besides someone who knows the master password, it would be through a weakness that would be exploited by just the sort of people you want to prevent having access.

Here is a web page with some suggestions for users to try who have forgotten their master passwords. Read that and try the suggestions. Perhaps one of them will help you remember.

If your question is about something else, could you say more about your issue? I don't know how to help you more, given what you've said.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @irishdick,

The information from hawkmoth is correct - for your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no back door to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information. The link hawkmoth gave you will explain that in more detail.

If you think you know the master password but it's not being accepted, this page has some tips that might help: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

If those tips don't help, you'll need to start over with a new vault.

I'm sorry we don't have a better answer for you! If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.