1Password 5 license disappeared after latest update...

Options
steve_rolfeca
steve_rolfeca
Community Member

I've been using 1Password ever since v3.

Everything seems to be OK in IOS. I have 1Password Pro v5.2.1 (502105) on my iPhone 5, and 1Password Pro 5.4.1 (504104) on my iPad Air 2.

All my passwords seem to be synchronizing OK across IOS and OS X, using Dropbox.

However, I just installed an update to 1Password 5 on my MacBook Pro (currently running OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite), and now it says that my trial license has expired. According to About 1Password, I currently have 5.3.2 (532001) installed.

I also have the Chrome and Safari extensions, plus 1Password Mini.

When I try to find a license file on my computer, I come up empty. Given my long history with 1Password, I don't understand how my license could have lapsed, or why I can't find a license number or license file.

I'm something of a packrat, and I have a lot of files and emails related to 1Password. Here's what I found while searching tonight:

In my Downloads folders, I have .app, .zip, .crx and .ipa files:
1Password 3.6.5.ipa (May 5, 2012)
1Password.crx (July 17, 2012)
1Password 3.7.2.ipa (Nov 13, 2012)
1Password 3.8.17.zip (Feb 25, 2012)
1Password.app (May21, 2014)
1Password 4 (no extension, dated Oct 5, 2014)
1Password 4.2.5.safariextz (Dec 1, 2014)
1Password 4 (no extension, dated Oct 5, 2014)
1Password 4.4.3.zip (Nov 30, 2014)
1Password 5 (no extension, dated May 25, 2015)
1Password 5.0.2.zip (Nov 30, 2014)
1Password 5.1.2.ipa (Nov 13, 2014)
1Password 5.4.2.ipa (May 26, 2015)

In my email archives:
iTunes receipt for 1Password v4.2.1 (June 5, 2013)
iTunes receipt for 1Password v3.6.5 (May 6, 2012)
AgileBits receipt for 1Password 3 for Mac (Mar 5, 2012), includes a license number, but no license file

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1 (safari), 4.3.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3, 10.6.8
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• steve_rolfeca
    steve_rolfeca
    Community Member
    Options

PS: I also have an old MacBook Black, which I rarely use. It's running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8).

It currently has 1Password 3.8.22 (build 32010) on it.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You may find this knowledge base article helpful:

“Trial Expired” notice (Mac)

If it doesn't help to solve your problem do please post again.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve_rolfeca,

I tried searching for your forum registered email address and I did find one record for 1Password 3 as you mention above. Now it might mean you haven't purchased a new licence since we released 1Password 4 but it's certainly not a certainty as you may have used a different email address. This is one of the possibilities covered in the link that Stephen_C posted although maybe a little tersely. Essentially 1Password 4/5 was a paid upgrade over 1Password 3. That's when we moved from a licence key to a licence file. Now your licence key will allow you to purchase 1Password 4/5 at a discounted price if that is something you would like to do.

Now you're not forced to upgrade at all if you don't wish. We mean what we said, you've purchased a licence for 1Password 3 for Mac and you can run that for as long as you want. The only trouble is as it is no longer being maintained you might see compatibility issues creep in as you try and use it with newer and newer versions of OS X or browsers. There are already a couple of places where it has begun to break due to the natural evolution of computers. The two I'm aware of are

1. Importing (possibly exporting too) doesn't work as we make use of depreciated library calls. It requires versions of frameworks that aren't included with OS X any more as they're old.
    2. 1Password 3 can't tell Dropbox is running if you need to move your .agilekeychain to Dropbox. This one can be gotten around so it's an inconvenience unlike 1.

If you have any queries from any of this please do let us know and we'll do our best to answer :smile:

• steve_rolfeca
    steve_rolfeca
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's embarrassing.

I could have sworn that I had already purchased v4 from you, rather than the Apple store. This impression seems to be confirmed by the fact that all my old download files have version numbers.

According to my file archive, I started with v4.4.3 in November 2014, and my most recent previous version was 5.0.2.

Any idea why the license "took" back then, if I didn't have a valid v4/5 license key?

It's in heavy daily use on this computer, and I've never had any further prompts for a license update until the latest update, last week.

Either way, I need to get it licensed again. How do I go about claiming the discount, using my V3 license?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve_rolfeca,

We had a small bug in version 4 of 1Password for Mac where it wasn't very vocal that it was actually running in the trial mode. As such some of our customers had no idea they weren't licensed. That was obviously our fault as most of our customers are happy to support us as long as we let them know and preferably not as "Surprise!".

If I had to guess I would say you updated to 1Password 5 about a month ago, could that be about right? 1Password 5 is where we corrected the bug and it would have kick started a new trial of 30 days before you got the warning.

To pick up a discounted licence all you need to do is visit this link, https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade?product_id=109 and pop in your 1Password 3 licence key. I can't remember the price but it should be a reasonable discount. Just in case you don't have a record of your 1Password 3 licence key I'll send your licences on to you after I finish writing this post :smile:

As always, if you have any questions at all please do ask.

• steve_rolfeca
    steve_rolfeca
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. The link to the discounted license worked. When I clicked on the offer, it updated the licensing in 1Password instantly, without any further intervention from me. Nicely done!

PS: I really appreciate a support forum where the vendor is actively involved. Apple and many others should take note...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! I'm glad the process to upgrade your license went smoothly. Thanks for the kind words about our support forums - we do love our work and our customers and we hope that it shows. :)

We're here for you if you need anything else!

• docjonny
    docjonny
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.. following the above posters comments.I think this is the right section to post in ..

On iphone 5 I have a fully paid for app store 1password v5.42 pro working great.
    I also have version 3 (which i kept just in case!)

On the macbook i have 1password version 5.1 which tells me that the trial period has expired ?
    On the iMac i have version 4 which also tells me that I am up to date and does not ask for any licence ....!

Trying to get all three in sync and on latest versions.. please can your great support team help me out here..

Thanks in advance

Jonny

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @docjonny,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with that!

On the macbook i have 1password version 5.1 which tells me that the trial period has expired ?

If you've purchased a license for 1Password 4/5 from the AgileBits Store, you'll need to apply your license file to 1Password 5 on that Mac. On the other hand, if you never purchased a license for version 4/5 for Mac, you'll need to purchase one in order to activate it. We have more information here: “Trial Expired” notice (Mac)

On the iMac i have version 4 which also tells me that I am up to date and does not ask for any licence ....!

Version 5 requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), so if your iMac is running OS X 10.8 or 10.9 and have the latest update for 1Password 4 installed, you already have the most up to date version of 1Password that can be used on that Mac.

As for not being asked for a license, that means either you've already added a license file to activate it, or (as littlebobbytables previously mentioned) it could be due to a small bug in 1Password 4 where an unregistered copy might not expire.

I tried searching our system for the email address associated with your forum account, and it looks like you have a license for 1Password 3 for Mac, but not version 4/5. If you think you may have purchased an upgrade to version 4/5 from the AgileBits Store under a different email address, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section of this site.

If you never upgraded your 1Password 3 license to a 1Password 4/5 license and would like to do so, you can enter your version 3 license code on this site to see your upgrade discount & options.

Trying to get all three in sync and on latest versions..

Are you also having trouble syncing your 1Password data between your Macs and iPhone? If so, let us know and we'll be happy to help with that. Thanks!

• docjonny
    docjonny
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew... thank you for your rapid response.. you guys rock. Think i am getting to the bottom of it. Just to be clear therefore...
    So the iphone has a downloaded app store version.. making it totally pro and up to date. this therefore was a pyment JUST for the phone
    V4 is running is the latest version on the imac= fine .. due to bug I am actually getting the full version with out paying for it.? until i upgrade to yosemite
    SO.. bottom line is to buy an updated licence so that the macbook version will be useable again (now that trial period is over)..and assume that when i upgrade the iMac the version 4 will auto upgrade to 5 without further payment
    Think i got it!
    Thanks again

Jonny

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That sounds about right to me, @docjonny. But if you run into any further trouble, please do let us know. We're always here to help. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.