My suffering in linking my mac to my iphone

bgrant
bgrant
Community Member

Folks,

My suffering: I've been happily using 1P on my macbook (10.10.3). Installing the free 1P for my new iphone (presumably latest ios) required me to type in manually my dropbox and apple ID PWs. These are loooooong random PWs I used 1P to generate and which are stored in 1P. After several failures, I had to text to myself and paste in. Was there an easier way?

BTW: I now have to change my master PW to something shorter and easier to type, as my current 1P PW is long, random, and complex.

Thanks for listening.

Barry

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

There are a few passwords that many of us create to be memorable and easy to type. For me, this includes ones for my AppleID, my most used email account, and Dropbox. If you haven't looked at the post, Toward better master passwords, it's worth the read. Diceware pass phrases are memorable AND secure. Just a suggestion to make life a little more bearable.

• Hi @bgrant,

My suffering: I've been happily using 1P on my macbook (10.10.3). Installing the free 1P for my new iphone (presumably latest ios) required me to type in manually my dropbox and apple ID PWs. These are loooooong random PWs I used 1P to generate and which are stored in 1P. After several failures, I had to text to myself and paste in. Was there an easier way?

Hawkmoth's suggestion is the probably the best solution here.

BTW: I now have to change my master PW to something shorter and easier to type, as my current 1P PW is long, random, and complex.

We would highly recommend against this. Your master password is what's protecting your 1Password data, and you shouldn't weaken this. Instead, we recommend that you enable Touch ID or PIN Code. This is a simpler way to access your data, while still protecting it with your master password. Your master password will only be required after restarting your iPhone, or if you enter the wrong PIN Code or Touch ID fingerprint.

This guide will help you setup Touch ID or PIN Code: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/touch-id.html

Please let us know if that helps! :)

• bgrant
    bgrant
    Community Member

Thanks! I discovered the touch function and set it up. My new PW takes 716 decillion years to crack on a PC. I should be OK.

Barry

• Great! Thanks for the update Barry ( @bgrant )! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

This discussion has been closed.