1Password Anywhere doesn't work in Safari with private browsing mode

Options
boboman13
boboman13
Community Member

As the title says, 1Password Anywhere doesn't work in Safari with private browsing mode.
This is in OS X 10.10.3 and Safari 8.0.6

I've tried to enable the "Disable local file restrictions" option in the Develop menu, but that did not work.

It still gives a "403 error."

I was able to download the 1Password folder from my Dropbox and then open the HTML file. But I want to be able to access the html file directly from Dropbox and it opens in Safari in private browsing mode. That would be more secure.

It works in not private browsing mode in Safari. It also works with Chrome and Firefox both in private and non private on a Windows machine.

Please advise if anyone else has had this issue or knows the solution.

Many thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 1Password Anywhere
Extension Version: none
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @boboman13,

You're correct, 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work if you're visiting Dropbox in a Private Window in Safari. The error though is coming from Dropbox, possibly (I'm guessing here) because you log into Dropbox on the dropbox.com domain but when you attempt to view the HTML file it is from dl-web.dropbox.com and it's in a new tab too. I believe it's because the nice folks over at Dropbox have made accommodations to ensure 1PasswordAnywhere stays working given other decisions they've made.

Now it will work from a local copy as you have already discovered, it's just when you try directly from Dropbox that the issue becomes evident.

I suspect there isn't a workaround here to have a Private Window in Safari work as you would like - sorry.

• boboman13
    boboman13
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks so much for the response. At least this confirms that I'm not crazy :-) nor doing anything wrong. Appreciate the validation.

Usually there is at least Chrome or Firefox installed alongside Safari on the majority of macs that I have used, so I'll be fine in 90% of cases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@boboman13: Indeed! And Firefox and Chrome both have portable versions as well, if you want to go the fully-independent route. :)

This discussion has been closed.