Making 1Password work in Ubuntu 14.04

Options
balkce
balkce
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Lounge

[FYI: I know there is another thread on-going in this category requesting a Linux version of 1Password, but it kind of was derailed towards another topic.]

Just in case somebody is looking to have 1Password installed in their Ubuntu box, here's what I did to make it work in Ubuntu 14.04 (which I still use because of its LTS status):

(Credits go to neilsk for pointing me and pretty much everybody else interested in the right direction: http://niels.kobschaetzki.net/blog/2014/07/10/1password-4-in-linux/)

1. Install Wine: sudo apt-get install wine
  2. Download 1Password for Windows: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/windows
  3. Install 1Password by double-clicking the downloaded .exe file. Wine should kick in and carry out the installation.
  4. Edit ~/.wine/user.reg to disable browser validation. Search for [Software\AgileBits\1Password 4] and add beneath it a new entry: "VerifyCodeSignature"=dword:00000000
  5. The Chrome extension works with new versions of 1Password (>=4.5), but it requires to disable the verification of the web browser code signature. To disable it, launch 1Password and do: Help -> Advanced -> "Verify web browser code signature". It shouldn't have a checkmark beside it now, and the helper should have restarted.

Since Wine is very good at simulating a Windows file system and registry from and to Linux' file system, if you sync your 1Password vault via Dropbox, this procedure provides full 1Password functionality without much headaches.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: Ubuntu 14.04
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@balkce: Excellent! Thanks for sharing this! It's pretty straightforward (after all, even I managed to do it!) but there are a few pitfalls, so this may help someone else -- especially someone new to Linux (or someone old like me). Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.