Setting up 1password to work on Windows 7 pc, macbook pro retina and iphone 5

franniek
franniek
Community Member

I am trying to set up an 1password account for my husband that will work with a Windows 7 pc, a macbook pro retina with Yosemite, and an iphone 5. I realize this may involve purchasing a bundle and possibly another license. What is the least costly way to do this and is it even possible. I have already purchased 1password for my iMac, macbook pro, and iphone 6.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@franniek: If you already have a 1Password 5 license, you can use it on your husband's Mac as well (your license covers you and up to 5 other family members living in the same household!)

Also, if you and your husband share an Apple ID, you can also share the 1Password for iOS purchase between you. Otherwise he can use 1Password for iOS for free, or do an in-app purchase to unlock the Pro Features.

Finally, if you don't already have a 1Password for Windows license, you'll need to purchase a single license to cover his Windows 7 PC (and any others in your household). But send your 1Password for Mac receipt to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can help you 'upgrade' to the bundle to save some money. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. I hope this helps! :)

• franniek
    franniek
    Community Member

Thanks for the information, brenty.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear brenty was able to help you out @franniek :smile:

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• detjo
    detjo
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I assume the bundle includes v5 mac and 4 windows. I assume the bundled mac version is the same as what's in the app store.
    Please confirm ..

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There is a slight difference between the bundled Mac app and the version available on the Mac App Store.

Due to restrictions by Apple, iCloud sync is only available in the version from the App Store., not in the bundled version. But this should not matter to you, since the Windows version cannot use iCloud sync at all. If you want to sync in the cloud, you will have to use Dropbox sync, which anyway is as good technically, possibly better.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @detjo,

Besides the iCloud difference that danco covered, the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions are essentially the same in terms of external behaviour and functionality. As danco has covered, if your desire is to sync between Mac and Window machines then iCloud support won't be of much use to you as while Windows can access iCloud Drive, that isn't the same as being able to use the CloudKit framework, the key component in the current iCloud Sync.

If you have any further questions do please let us know :smile:

• detjo
    detjo
    Community Member

I do want icloud sync for the Mac version as I already purchased the iOS version. I also happen to be using it on Windows. Next question is, if I purchase the app store version for Mac and the Windows version, do I get the same price of $69.99 ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @detjo,

If you were to purchase the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac and email us your Apple receipt we would help you obtain the bundle price. It's a manual process as Apple do not communicate any information on who purchases our application from their store.

Now I did say so in my previous post but I just want to confirm that you realise iCloud Sync won't work on Windows. If you use iCloud to Sync your primary vault 1Password for Windows will not be able to access it. Don't forget that 1Password for iOS can use Dropbox to sync just like 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows.

I apologise for reiterating this, I just want to ensure you're not disappointed later due to any misunderstanding.

• detjo
    detjo
    Community Member

Yep, that's understood. I have been syncing Windows and iOS thru wifi. I don't use Dropbox but am considering it just for 1Password. In ur opinion, is it as secure as iCloud ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @detjo,

I don't believe there are any real differences between the security measures used by Apple and Dropbox. I'm not a cloudy person myself, preferring Wi-Fi Sync but I certainly don't do so based on security concerns of either cloud system. I believe both Apple and Dropbox take security seriously as they can't afford not to. Even if there was a breach, the 1Password sync data is encrypted just like the local copy of the vault. So in the unlikely event of a breach that's just the first layer of security, your Master Password is still protecting your vault just as it does on your devices.

Most of the team here at AgileBits use Dropbox - I'm just the black sheep of the family with my choice of Wi-Fi Sync :wink:

• detjo
    detjo
    Community Member

Thanks! Dropbox it is then.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if we can be of any more assistance @detjo :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey now, I use Wi-Fi Sync too. ;)

I just don't discriminate: I use a little bit of everything (just no Android devices currently!)

This discussion has been closed.