1Password helper not running [Usually, third party security apps interfering with Helper]

Options
cezrac
cezrac
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

All of a sudden I'm getting this message: The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly. What's up with this. 1password was working fine 2 seconds ago.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cezrac,

That can happen if something interfered with the communication between the browser extension and the 1Password Helper. This is usually caused by a security app like an anti-malware solution, proxy, VPN or a firewall.

Try this first: open the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper. Does this resolve the issue for good?

• Helper82
    Helper82
    Community Member
    Options

I have excatly the same problem! And i tried that already, nothing works!

• Helper82
    Helper82
    Community Member
    Options

Looking for the 1password helper! The 1password helper must be running for the extension to work properly! this massage pops up every time i want to use the extension on the google chrome. What the hell is going on here?! it worked fine yesterday.... Can anyone please help me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Like Mike said, please restart the helper using the menu Help > Restart 1Password Helper.

Other than that there must be something interfering with the connection between the 1Password extension and the 1Password Helper.
    The usual culprits are anti-malware software, proxy servers, VPNs, and in some cases ad blockers, too.

Can the two of you please tell us more about your systems?
    Since this has happened so suddenly in both cases, I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to a browser extension.

• ReneHass
    ReneHass
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Yesterday it all worked fine. Today "The 1password helper must be running for the extension to work properly!" in using the Chrome extension. Please help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ReneHass: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, do you have security software that might be interfering? Please let me know. Thanks in advance! :)

• liberatumente
    liberatumente
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hello, same problem. using windows 7 home premium, google chrome browser. Also I cant find where the menu is for restart the extension (: menu Help > Restart 1Password Helper.)

I have deactivated my AVG antivirus and nothing :(

Thanks in advance :)

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @liberatumente,

It's in the main 1Password program, open it and you'll see it via the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper.

For AVG, try configuring it for 1Password with our guide here: https://support.1password.com/configure-avg-surf-shield/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options
This discussion has been closed.