Cant initiate 1PW on Mac,,,,,,via Sync from iOS

Options
crazycanuk
crazycanuk
Community Member

I been using 1PW (4.3.2) on my Iphone running ios 6.1.6. I've recently added 1PW (v5.3) Mac App to my desktop from the iTunes store. I've tried to initalize the desktop App and sync the two platforms but cannot complete.
When I launch 1PW desktop, I'm greeted by the screen, I'm NEW to 1PW or I've USED 1PW before. I select I'VE USED.
Next Screen asks "where is your data?" As I've stated, I'm using 1PW 4.3.2 iOS, I select 'Another Device" from the menu and see 2 options given to proceed, 'Cancel' and "More Information." When i select "more information" my Browser launches and directs me to support.1Password, "Finding existing 1Password data during setup".... I browse the article and review the info for "Another Device." Nothing is mentioned at this point which discusses how to sync vault data from iOS to OS X, I'm unable to proceed. I'm trying to sync the 2 platforms via wifi.
I've reviewed Sec 2.0 Syncing your 1PW data and 2,4 Wifi Sync and find no assistance within. I have followed the instructions within 2.4 and Choose 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar in the main 1Password app. I then try to select the "Run a Wi-Fi server from this Mac to sync with iOS devices" checkbox in 1Password's Wi-Fi Server preferences, I am unable to make this selection as the checkbox will not activate. i see the info beneath the checkbox "Unlock the Primary Vault to edit Wi-Fi Server Settings" Within Preferences, WiFi Server, No Vaults are visible. I am unable to proceed. I have verified both my Destop and iOS are connected to the same wifi network but continue to be unable to initiate the Desktop version and sync from iOS.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Many Thx

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.2 iOS
OS Version: OS X 10.10.2
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @crazycanuk,

I'm sorry for all the confusion here! We're working on improving the information you see when clicking the "More Information" button during the setup. Hopefully it will be much more helpful in the future.

ref: DOCS-507

I then try to select the "Run a Wi-Fi server from this Mac to sync with iOS devices" checkbox in 1Password's Wi-Fi Server preferences, I am unable to make this selection as the checkbox will not activate. i see the info beneath the checkbox "Unlock the Primary Vault to edit Wi-Fi Server Settings" Within Preferences, WiFi Server, No Vaults are visible. I am unable to proceed.

The reason you're having trouble here is because you haven't set up 1Password on your Mac yet, so you don't have a vault that those settings would apply to. I'm sorry that's not clearer! Wi-Fi sync works a bit differently than the other options.

What you'll need to do is choose "I'm new to 1Password" during the setup on your Mac, and choose the exact same master password you use in 1Password on your iPhone. Then you should have a new, empty vault in 1Password on your Mac, and you'll be able to set up Wi-Fi sync to get the data from your iPhone.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks!

ref: OPM-2816

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @crazycanuk,

I'm so sorry if the setup for 1Password for Mac has been confusing. You'll want to select "I'm new to 1Password" to create a new empty vault on your Mac. Then you'll be able to set up Wi-Fi Sync.

Let us know how that goes for you, and we'll be happy to help more if needed. Thanks!

• crazycanuk
    crazycanuk
    Community Member
    Options

That was Easy !!!.... Now I'm HAPPY HAPPY and Secure.
    May the Sun Shine on you BOTH. (Drew & Vee)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear, @crazycanuk! I didn't realize earlier that Drew and I both responded to your question... There's a fun little quirk in the forum today that resulted in us answering the same question at the same time in a few threads. :blush: But I guess two answers are better than none!

Anyway, we're glad we could help you. And the sun is indeed shining where I am (Portland, OR)... maybe even a bit too much. But I'm staying cool in the shade. :sunglasses: Hope you're having a good day, too! Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.