Support for fingerprint unlock [released]

Comments

• faisal233
    faisal233
    Community Member

Does anyone in agilebits even use android? Initial sync takes hours, dated design, no updates and a feature list from 2010. Promising your paying user about some mythical beta doesn't cut it, we aren't your beta tester.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

The focus is clearly Mac Safari and iOS. Everything else is considered a 2nd class citizen. Even other browsers on Mac such as Chrome and Firefox. Windows is not a much better story either, same dated design just like Android.

Something like Enpass (https://enpass.io/) will either wake up AgileBits or eat their lunch. You can't live forever off past fame. 1Password used to be good but things have been going downhill lately.

• bdbplatano
    bdbplatano
    Community Member

I just tried enpass and my initial thoughts is holy moly, 1Password better step up their game. Enpass for Android is free (up to 20 items, $10 for unlimited) ...has fingerprint support, material design and universal search and Enpass for Mac/PC is 100% completely free, has a password generator, sync, weak/old password alert. At this point the ONLY advantage to 1Password over Enpass is Watchtower, which I can/will still use since I paid 50 bucks for 1PW :(

I honestly will probably keep using 1PW so I can at least check out the update, but as of right now... I'm pretty much chalking up the $50+ I spent on the desktop and Android apps as a loss.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Yeah big disappointment for those of us who bought them all: Mac, Windows, Android, iOS.

• faisal233
    faisal233
    Community Member

Autofill is the only thing keeping me from switching right now.

• faisal233
    faisal233
    Community Member

Enpass desktop is free, android and ios is $10 a piece. So $20 to buy into Mac/PC/Linux/iOS/Android ecosystem.

• Eluder
    Eluder
    Community Member

It is clear the the agile bits folks highly prioritize iOS as I'm using both platforms (6s Plus and Nexus 6p) and I got two updates in the past week on iOS, don't remember the last time I saw an update on the Android version.

• crz
    crz
    Community Member

Sorry, but another 5 weeks for a (maybe) working beta including fingerprint support is (at least for me) not acceptable. Its not only the missing fingerprint support, there is also no indication that you plan to support android wear or the fact that the app still uses a design from 2012.

I understand that more people are using an iphone than a 5x or 6p and therefore you can make more money on these platforms and therefore the development for iOS has your priority.

But what you apparently dont understand is that i for example use 1p as paying customer on osx, ios, windows and android and as the phone is always with me i use it on android the most. So the app for android has my priority.

When can we expect a playstore version, 10 months after the anncouncement of nexus imprint ? 2 years after the design changes in android ?

You have just lost a customer on 4 platforms.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

5 weeks and then we get a beta? You've got to be kidding. I can't imagine trusting my credential store to a beta version on your lowest-priority platform.

I have gone from a long-time user and advocate of your product to a disgruntled dis-advocate. I have paid for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android versions but I'm close to switching to another product in spite of the cost & complexity.

Here's why:

• The 1Password Android keyboard is terrible compared to Google and other 3rd party alternatives. I don't want a keyboard from you - I want you to fill in credentials in apps without a keyboard. Dashlane does this. I suspect others do, too.

• There is absolutely no excuse for you not supporting Android fingerprint authentication by now. You should not have attached this simple, straightforward, platform-supported feature to a monolithic 1Password release whose schedule is clearly out of control. Adding this to the existing app couldn't possibly take more than a day or two after which you'd have it in a stable version. I'm not going to use a beta release to get it nor do I want to wait the months I expect it to take for you guys to get your beta out and then to go from beta to final.

• The Android version is just frustrating to use. It's UX is very dated and even the navigation model is obtuse (as a long-term user I can't believe that I still struggle to find the search option).

• You have talked forever about updating your storage format to do a better job of encrypting all data. It has always bothered me that I can see, in the 1Password .js files, the names of sites whose content is stored within. Regardless of how you've claimed it's not a big deal, it is a big deal from a privacy perspective. You've said there would be a new archive format but now much longer are we expected to wait before we can use it consistently across all platforms?

• In your Android app, I've enabled PIN-based auth but I find myself constantly being asked to enter my full password. Why?? The steps I take to log into an app are just ludicrous : switch to your keyboard, press and hold the 1Password icon (why do I have to hold it?), enter my full password, select my login and often deal with a glitchy experience trying to get fields populated, complete the login, switch back to my preferred keyboard when I actually need to type a mail or something else. This is nuts. I wish even just the minimal "use a PIN" worked consistently.

I really hope you pull your act together quickly. What I would recommend here is this:

1. Since you've talked about a beta beginning in 5 weeks (followed by who-knows-how-long-of-a-beta cycle), you should just go implement Marshmallow-supported fingerprint auth in the current shipping codebase. Get it out in 2 weeks in final/working form. Win some user love back.
    2. Fix your internal resource allocation and commit to simultaneous shipping of features across your platforms. Fragmentation has become a very real problem for those of us that use multiple platforms (isn't that everyone, these days?)
    3. Reduce the time remaining on the Android release. Do you really have so many partially-complete features that you need 5 more weeks of development/baking before you can start a beta? Cut some. Figure out what it would take to be at a production-ready release in 5 weeks versus just about to start a beta.

No clue if you're receptive to feedback, but there you go.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

It asks for your password and not the pin because you completely close the application. If you let it run in the background, it won't ask for your password again. BUT, you will often end up on a scoreenthat does not work, and have to switch app again to have the pin prompt appear.

Otherwise, I'm 100% behind you for eveything you said. I'm waiting for this beta, if it's not worth a damn, I will look somewhere else. Although I paid for these freaking apps...

• tom223
    tom223
    Community Member

Agilebits have really dropped the ball with this one :-1: Can't believe there still isn't a beta! I've given up waiting and switched to another service (one recommended in this thread - thanks guys!). Seems good - they seem to realise there are other platforms out there other than iOS/Mac. I guess that's where the money is!

• While I appreciate all the comments, I think it is important to note that we are still a relatively small company, working to develop 1Password on 4 different platforms - there are always new releases and designs to the various Operating Systems, and we are always trying to make sure that we make 1Password awesome, while keeping your information safe and secure. 1Password for Teams is another big piece of what we are trying to do. We continue to work on getting things out to you all and appreciate the feedback.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

And while we appreciate all the comments that tell us to be patient, we did pay for these applications (at least some of us), and we never asked you to release everything at the same time. You decided to release the fingerprint support (5 months old), material design (over a year) and 1password for team (whenever you announced that) in 1 go. Just do multiple releases for christ sake... Agile is in the name of your company. Learn how that works. And do a release every freaking month instead of every 2 years...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Xaelias: If we release several big features at once (as we're doing), it takes longer and people are disappointed. If we release one major feature, everyone who wanted the others that didn't make the cut will be similarly disappointed. If we don't talk about what we're working on, people are frustrated about the lack of communication. And when we say "Hey, this is what we're up to, it's really cool, and it's coming soon!" people are frustrated by the tease. And since we can't please everyone no matter what, we're focusing on the next release. And then we'll work on the next after that. And slowly but surely everyone will at least be a little bit less frustrated I hope. :chuffed:

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

Yeah, and since the beta is planned somewhere in the next 5 weeks, if we assume you achieve an unprecedented turnover, and release the final version the week after that, we'll be at the end of February. So exactly 5 months since last update for Android.
    Don't get me wrong, your arguments are valid, but right now, you chose to displease everybody. For a company that sells a service, I'm just not sure that's a wise choice.
    PS : 5 weeks (for the beta) is still not soon. Although it's probably rather short when put side by side with 5 months.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Xaelias: You're right. But it is what it is. Complaining about hypothetical turnaround time, unfortunately, isn't going to change the fact that it takes time. I'm not here to argue. I'm just trying to be realistic. We'll work hard to prove you wrong, but feel free to sit on that for a few weeks and say "I told you so" when the time comes — though that almost sounds like you want us to disappoint you. :lol:

• juanii
    juanii
    Community Member

@Xaelias: If we release several big features at once (as we're doing), it takes longer and people are disappointed. If we release one major feature, everyone who wanted the others that didn't make the cut will be similarly disappointed.

I disagree. A faster release cycle keeps most users happy and motivated, specially those who love the application and your company, no matter what's in the release. I was pleased to see frequent updates in the first 6 months of the app life, even if they included only small bug fixes or big features which sometimes weren't useful for me. Showing progress makes a difference. My phone is an old S4 mini, but I'd still be glad to see an update with fingerprint support.
    Managing priorities makes another difference. As I mentioned in another thread, I doubt you had so many requests and for such a long time to add Teams compared to the number of people requesting fingerprint unlock and UX improvements for months, or multiple local vaults for more than a year. Your priorities are not the same as ours, I understand that, but I'm sure you can find balance between both.

If we don't talk about what we're working on, people are frustrated about the lack of communication. And when we say "Hey, this is what we're up to, it's really cool, and it's coming soon!" people are frustrated by the tease.

I'm sure we agree that fluent communication is always good. And no one's so naive to expect you to disclose everything you're doing, but in my humble opinion you have plenty of room for improvement here. After waiting for so long it was a huge disappointment for me to learn, 5 weeks before the next beta, that multiple vaults will not be included.

Regards

• peri
    edited January 2016

I think that what Brenty meant was that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. We do understand that we have room for improvement in a number of areas, and we're planning on making some changes which I think will make more of the people happy more of the time. :)

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

@peri - 1Pass has been pleasing very few customers lately, on your 2 non-core platforms.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

What would make a bunch of us happy right now would be to backport fingerprint support to the current shipping Android version. 1Password is the most quality-critical app that I run. I can't use a beta. We're clearly several months away from a release version of whatever it is you guys are working on (which I hope is mind blowing). In the meantime, I would love to see you respond to the months of feedback here in which devoted users who love your product are feeling frustrated.

I'm guessing most of you 1Password folks use iPhones. Ask yourselves how frustrating it would be for you if we took away your ability to use TouchID with 1Password? You'd kick and scream, right? That's sort of the boat we're in, though we've never had it in 1Password.

Here's an actionable suggestion - what if you ask those of us here on the Android forum if we'd accept a two week delay in the next major release in exchange for a near-term release-quality update with Marshmallow fingerprint support? I'd bet we would willingly do that. I certainly word.

Are you open to exploring this option?

• amcelwee
    amcelwee
    Community Member

@zendnez excellent suggestion. That would absolutely restore a bit of confidence in the ability for AgileBits to deliver in the future. Sadly, I just spent 30 minutes toying with the idea of going back to my previous frankenbaby of Keepass + KeepShare + MacPass + Keepass2Android + BitTorrent Sync. It had it's flaws, but at least I had alternative options when things were lacking, because of the open ecosystem. I really want to stick with 1Password, but it sure is difficult lately.

• intorid
    intorid
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

:+1: ..it is time to migrate to the best cross-platform password manager «Safe in Cloud» [promotional link removed by moderator] Which even works on the smart watch Android Wear, supported by fingerprints!

• Eluder
    Eluder
    Community Member

Sounds like you guys need a product manager at agile bits to handle your application portfolio.
    I've been in the mobile world for 7 years and I'm located in your area, maybe we should talk about expanding your team a bit. ;) Lol.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@juanii

My phone is an old S4 mini, but I'd still be glad to see an update with fingerprint support.

You may not want to get your hopes up on this one. My understanding is that Agile Bits is going to support the Android 6.0 fingerprint API, which may leave older Samsung devices that are not running Android 6.0 unsupported. Someone I'm sure will jump in and correct me if that's not the case.

@zendnez @amcelwee

What would make a bunch of us happy right now would be to backport fingerprint support to the current shipping Android version.

No offense, but losing all momentum on the new release to switch gears to backport one feature is the WORST thing they could do. The upcoming beta release has been in internal testing for weeks - I can only assume they are spending so long testing internally because they know they need to release a very solid beta in order to quiet the growing Android user discontent.

I have no inside knowledge, but they obviously know there are high expectations riding on the next beta. I expect it will have a smooth and fairly short beta cycle. Switching gears at this point simply does not make sense.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

You're making the big assumption that development for the next version actually started. By the looks of it, I think they are still looking to hire developers to start the work.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

@EnerJi

No offense, but losing all momentum on the new release to switch gears to backport one feature is the WORST thing they could do. The upcoming beta release has been...

No offense taken but certainly you agree that neither of us actually understands where they are in their release cycle. Whether or not it makes sense to slipstream fingerprint support into the current release is just a question of value vs. opportunity cost. I want a fantastic new release as much as anyone else but I would take a short delay in that release (assuming it's already months out) in order to spend the next few months not having to type a password on my 6P.

Anyhow...not much subject for debate here between us. The real conversation needs to be happening among AgileBits folks and I hope they're taking the time to not just react here, in the forum, but to think through how to get to a better place with respect to platform fragmentation and release cadence.

And just so nobody is confused about what I think about this product : I love 1Password and think it's the best option in the increasingly crowded field of password managers. It wins for me because of its flexibility, security, and capabilities. I strongly prefer it over the competitors that store my content on their services, and it beats the pants off the apps that don't. I just find it maddeningly frustrating that iOS and Mac get all the fun new stuff (Apple watch, 3d touch, etc.) while Windows and Android get table scraps.

• juanii
    juanii
    Community Member

@peri

I think that what Brenty meant was that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Nice quote and sure, that's out of the question. But almost everyone here is asking for the same thing. Delivering a smaller release with a couple of highly requested features would make most people happy. You have one huge advantage: 1P customers aren't just users, they love your product and stand for it. You can please them with very little. IMHO the error was to bundle some features I imagine took longer to develop but few people asked with (relatively) easier ones everyone was expecting in one big update. So cheers for the move to faster releases.

We do understand that we have room for improvement in a number of areas, and we're planning on making some changes which I think will make more of the people happy more of the time. :)

Here I was specifically talking about communication. At some point I got tired, like many others, of reading "soon". Also the frustration would've been smaller if we had known sooner some long awaited features were not coming this time.

@EnerJi

My understanding is that Agile Bits is going to support the Android 6.0 fingerprint API, which may leave older Samsung devices that are not running Android 6.0 unsupported. Someone I'm sure will jump in and correct me if that's not the case.

I'm well aware of that, and that's the point I was making. Even if I can't take any advantage from a new feature, I like to see the app is getting better. Maybe next time there will be something that benefits me. Eventually I can buy a new phone to use the new features. But I think seeing steady and regular progress makes all the difference.

Regards

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@zendnez

No offense taken but certainly you agree that neither of us actually understands where they are in their release cycle. Whether or not it makes sense to slipstream fingerprint support into the current release is just a question of value vs. opportunity cost.

Agreed. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm hoping the "six weeks" timeline was intentionally very conservative and that they a) release the beta earlier than the current mid-February expectation, and b) release with a higher quality beta than many are expecting, and follow quickly with a stable production release. In my optimistic world, it wouldn't make sense to backport a new feature. If my optimism is misplaced, then yes, what you are suggesting could make sense.

@juanii

Even if I can't take any advantage from a new feature, I like to see the app is getting better. Maybe next time there will be something that benefits me.

Ahh, I didn't realize at first that was the point you were making, and I completely agree.

This discussion has been closed.