How do I backup to DropBox or Google Drive?

Options
MLKingsley
MLKingsley
Community Member

I have been going through the forums but much of the info seems to be outdated. I'd like to know how I can safely back up my data to a cloud server (I use DropBox and GoogleDrive) so that if my laptop gets lost or stolen I can retrieve the data and use it on my new laptop. Thx for your help!

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The easiest way to do what you want would be to sync your data to Dropbox. Follow these directions.

You don't mention that you want to keep more than one device synchronized, but I would still recommend this method as the easiest and most automatic way to be sure your data are keep up to date in the cloud.

• MLKingsley
    MLKingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks hawkmoth! Just did it. The thing is that apparently there's a difference b/t syncing and actually backing up a security copy in the cloud in case of unforeseen issues. I supposed syncing is better than nothing...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@MLKingsley - Yes, there is a difference between backup and syncing. For my part, I back up my system with Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. 1Password is creating a local backup on your local drive frequently, and it keeps multiple copies back in time. Those are real backups and are also automatic. Time Machine and CCC are backing up my entire setup on at least a daily basis, which protects me from a local hard disk crash. But I don't have a laptop issue.

I'm sure there is a way to back up your local 1Password proper backups to the cloud too, but I'm not certain what the best approach would be for that.

One of the AgileBits folks probably needs to weigh in here, but the difference between a backup and a sync file strikes me as something of a distinction without a practical difference, so long as Dropbox remains available. You can always install a new copy of 1Password and set to to sync to the Dropbox file, which would bring it back to your new machine. But I may miss something here. And I do not work for AgileBits; I'm a community volunteer. Ordinarily, someone from AgileBits will be around to comment on this thread, so stay tuned.

• MLKingsley
    MLKingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks hawkmoth. Absolutely, the real difference b/t syncing and backup appears to be a mystery of Biblical proportions :)

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MLKingsley, @hawkmoth is spot on as usual. Dropbox syncing isn't considered a backup, but will definitely get your 1Password data in a second location (after your local database on your computer/iOS device/where ever else you have 1Password installed).

I see that you are using 1Password 3 for Mac, which does have a backup option ( 1Password > Preferences > backup tab ), but this backs up locally. You will need to backup your computer as Hawkmoth mentioned to get a true backup. I would use Dropbox and and Time Machine or something like Carbon Copy Cloner as a true backup of your computer. But you are already doing that, right? ;)

• MLKingsley
    MLKingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Haha uh... yep I'm definitely doing that ;) Thanks AGMarshall for weighing in. But one simple question: what if I select my Dropbox or Google Drive folder that's in my local computer as the location Preferences>Backup tab backs up to. Since that folder behaves as a local folder but then is backed up to the cloud. Would that be okay (safe)? Or is the only true backup is to backup my computer?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I've forgotten how backup works in version 3.8, but if you can point the 1Password backup file to your Dropbox folder, that would indeed send your true backup to the cloud as Dropbox syncs. The location for local backups in version 5 can't be moved, so sending it from 1Password to your local Dropbox or Google Drive folder isn't an option. But you could automate copying the back to one of those places for backing up to the cloud.

There are also cloud based solution for backing up all your data. I use CrashPlan for that. It isn't a full clone of the system, but it gets pretty much everything. I use it mainly to ensure off site backup of my photos.

The advice to backup your entire machine is wise. As they say, there are two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed and those that will.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MLKingsley Again, hawkmoth is correct. You could redirect where 1Password 3 for Mac backs up to, but this ability is not available in the current version of 1Password for Mac (which you should consider upgrading to if you are running Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite).

I would definitely back up your entire computer. As hawkmoth stated, if you don't, you will get bit. It is just a matter of time. It happens to all of us at one point or another. Backup. Backup. Backup. One can never have too many backups. :chuffed:

• MLKingsley
    MLKingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your advise. I'll look into CrashPlan and move on from occasional manual backups to an ancient external hard drive combined with selective backing up to Google Drive. In due time I'll also update to the current version of 1Password. That said, I was able to redirect the default place of backup for 1Password to my Dropbox folder and backed up with no issues. That solves the issue for now. I guess my question also had to do with the safety of that encripted backup data, if for example my Dropbox account were to be compromised. But I supposed it's hard to crack, based on what I've read... :) Okie then, thanks to you both!

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome, @MLKingsley. Here is a bit about cloud security.

This discussion has been closed.