Security settings in 1PW preferences can't be changed without changing the master password.

Options
mail_ronandclaudia
mail_ronandclaudia
Community Member

My husband and I use the same 1PW program on both of our computers and iPhones and iPads. I changed our master PW on my computer and it allowed me to change the auto-lock times. Now, my husband wants to change the auto lock times on his computer. On both of our computers the ability to change those settings is greyed out. It looks like we would need to change the master PW to get access to those settings. Since I changed the auto lock features on my computer when I changed the master PW shouldn't those changes be global? If not, how can they be changed now that the security preference pane is asking for me (and also my husband on his computer) to change my master PW before I get access to those settings.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mail_ronandclaudia,

Most settings are greyed out if your vault is locked but they should all be accessible if the vault is unlocked. If my vault is locked I can reproduce the behaviour where the Security settings go from locked to unlocked if you change your Master Password. Hopefully though you find they're accessible when your vault is in the unlocked state.

As to your other query. We currently only sync the contents of your vault rather than the application's settings. I have to confess I've never considered it before. I can see how for some people it could be an advantage but there is a downside too. What happens if two people share a vault, a bit like yourself and your husband and your styles are slightly different? Here, having the settings kept locally means you can each configure 1Password to fit with yourselves.

Hopefully you're now finding you can reliably access the settings (please do let us know) and we'll see what you think about settings not synchronising :smile:

• mail_ronandclaudia
    mail_ronandclaudia
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That solved it. I unlocked 1PW than could make the changes to the security screen in preferences. I do like that the settings can be configured locally, too.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mail_ronandclaudia,

I'm glad we could clear that up. If you have any more questions at all we're here all week :smile:

This discussion has been closed.