Dropbox sync without dropbox installed locally [No]

Options
jace88
jace88
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is it possible to use 1password with a Dropbox sync'd vault without installing the Dropbox client locally? On my work PC, it won't let us install/sync Dropbox locally however I was hoping the 1password app might be able to connect directly to Dropbox similar to how it does on iOS (I think)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is it possible to use 1password with a Dropbox sync'd vault without installing the Dropbox client locally?

@jace88 No.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jace88,

As Stefan mentioned, this is not possible without the sync client installed.

What you can do at the moment is copy your data file in Dropbox to your USB drive and copy it to your PC at work. If you make changes, you can just bring it back to your Mac via the USB drive and replace the copy in the Dropbox folder with your USB copy.

• Marc BV
    Marc BV
    Community Member
    Options

What????? Transfer back and forth via an USB stick? That would be ok in the 90's, but not in 2015. Come on!

I love to use 1Password, but this holds me back. Now I'm using Safe In Cloud (www.safe-in-cloud.com) which easily sync with Dropbox over the web API, so no Dropbox app needed there.

For an expensive app that 1Password is, a modern sync would be welcome.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @Marc BV,

What????? Transfer back and forth via an USB stick? That would be ok in the 90's, but not in 2015. Come on!

This is a normal situation for people who have Internet restricted access at work, we've seen this a lot. There's nothing we can do to work around this, restricted networks will block on deeper levels such as filtering the network, not by blocking the program from being installed. This is also why using the Dropbox APIs wouldn't always work.

We've seen a lot of users reporting the same with Google Drive, Box.com, iCloud and so on. Often than enough, USB drive is the only situation.

...which easily sync with Dropbox over the web API, so no Dropbox app needed there.

Many companies block the Dropbox traffic, even the web API won't help here. Right now, the benefits of using direct API on the desktop does not justify the resources needed to support this.

That doesn't mean we will never add support to use the Dropbox APIs directly, it is just not something that fit for us right now.

For an expensive app that 1Password is, a modern sync would be welcome.

We do support modern sync via Dropbox, it is the most supported cross-platform service there is. It works on any platform that 1Password exists on. Majority of our users are using this without any issues.

If you're talking about building our own sync service like Dropbox, it is not that simple but we would love to try it in the future.

This discussion has been closed.