Very old master password required for new iOS device, how to fix this..

Options
fisherg
fisherg
Community Member

Hello,
I tried 1password 1ˢᵗ time almost 2 years ago and initially made a short not very secure master password. After I decided to buy the app both for my iPhone and MacBook I then learned how to create a much more secure master password and changed it. I had to also change it again for the 2ⁿᵈ device.
Today, 2 years later I purchased an iPad and when installing the 1password app, it would not recognize the new stronger master password but the old simple one.
I sync via iCloud.

How can I fix this problem? I don't want the simple password lurking in iCloud and going forward for new devices I get in the future I prefer the new password to be th default. Not the one I created initially 2 years ago as I might also one day forget this old password.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
Guy.

1Password Version: iOS 5.4.2 / OS X 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.3 / OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Guy ( @fisherg ),

Please note we are currently experiencing some difficulty with the iCloud sync service. I would recommend holding off on any changes until this issue is resolved. Please do not make the changes below until you see an update here indicating the problem is fixed.

Sorry to hear about the trouble getting your Master Password change to sync. That sounds a bit odd. We are aware of the scenario where the first time you login to a device that you have been syncing your 1Password data to after changing your Master Password you must use the old Master Password once, and then the change will sync, and the new Master Password will start working. That doesn't sound like the situation we have here, as it sounds as though the iPad is a brand new device that did not previously have 1Password on it (when the old Master Password was in use).

The first step I'd recommend taking is making a backup of your 1Password data:
    https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/

Then turn OFF iCloud sync on each device.

Remove all 1Password data from iCloud, following the instructions in this guide: https://support.1password.com/icloud-remove-data/ios.html

And then last but not least turn iCloud syncing back ON for each device, and verify that changes are being synced across all devices.

• fisherg
    fisherg
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I had other issues as well due to bug in iCloud vault sync "Failed to Fetch Some Record Zones...." (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/33216/failed-to-fetch-some-record-zones-icloud-sync)

So I deleted vaults on all my devices but one, then initiated syncing via Dropbox.

Now it seems to work, new master password is used on all devices and the login items I updated last night that were not being synced to my other devices are all updated.

very unnerving that updated were not going through, I wonder how long this was going on....

Lucky I have some computer skills, but I'm sure many people who use 1Password on iOS devices are not aware of this problem or how to fix it.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @fisherg,

Our last 1Password for iOS update was May 26th, but we didn't start seeing (any) reports until around the June 16th timeframe, so I don't at this point have any evidence that something we changed in 1Password caused the problem. I suspect, but can't say for certain, that there is a problem on the Apple side that will be fixed and ideally syncing will simply pick back up where it left off. But which side of the equation it is on I realize is somewhat irrelevant -- it is broken and folks expect it to be fixed. We're working toward that outcome. :)

Thanks for the update. :) Glad to hear you found a solution.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.