Restore 1Password Vault from backup fails to load [Issue caused by an incorrect user permission]

Options
drfant
drfant
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have had 1password for a few years now. Because of some issue with my PC, i had to create a new user profile. I was able to recover all my files. I have all my 1password backups and have installed the latest version of 1Password.

When I attempt to restore from a backup, which i believe is a zip file, i receive errors when I do that. It almost seems like there is not the right permissions. It will not recover the backup.

I am not able to copy the errors from the window that pops up, so I cannot provide them.

How can i recover my backups?
This is the file name I am trying to recover from: 1Password 2 2015-06-15 131412 (85 items).agilekeychain_zip

Dale

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 - 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @drfant,

Can you take a screenshot of the error instead of copying it? Here's how to take a screenshot on the PC.

In addition, what about trying other backups, do they all have the same error?

• drfant
    drfant
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a screenshot of the error

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drfant This is a permissions issue, probably with your Windows Temp directory.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dfant,

As Stefan mentioned, you have a system permission issue where it can't write your data folder to the 1Password folder in your user profile.

Are you trying to open 1Password from the other user profile? You need to make sure you install 1Password into your user profile, not reuse it from the other profile.

There is a workaround to restore from the backup but we recommend that you fix the permission issue as you will run into more problems down the line. Here's how:

1. Rename the file (1Password 2 2015-06-15 131412 (85 items).agilekeychain_zip) to 1Password-backup.zip, make sure it shows up as .zip file.
    2. Extract it to a folder called 1Password.agilekeychain
    3. Direct 1Password to open this folder.

That should get you up and running.

• drfant
    drfant
    Community Member
    Options

This issue has been resolved. I am now able to restore and save backup. The issue was with file permissions not being set correctly on my PC/Laptop. Once we were able to fix the file permissions, the application was able to write and read the backup files.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @drfant,

That's awesome news, thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.