More potential problems WRT Security Issues

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

NSA planned to hack the Google App Store, if reports are to be believed.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/21/nsa-five-eyes-google-samsung-app-stores-spyware/

Additionally the 2G network will be dismatled eventually, being 20 years old.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

NSA planned to hack the Google App Store, if reports are to be believed.

@wkleem: Honestly, I expected as much. Although I don't approve of their activities, I have to admire their dedication to their mandate... :angry:

It's about time. :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

It's about time. :lol:

What do you make of the advice that we should use simple or dumb phones then? Wasn't it supposed to be more secure? The only simple phones that I know of are the decade+ old 2G phones.

iPhone changed all that, of course 8 years ago!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: It depends entirely on the context. If you're transmitting data securely the network itself is irrelevant (the NSA hates encrypted transport). And it certainly doesn't make any sense to forego the device security that iOS offers for a 'dumb' phone, for example.

However, it's best not to conduct illegal activity via unencrypted email over the cell network, regardless of the device. :unamused:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I don't mean to come of as being cavalier about privacy issues, but I fear that I may at times.

Beyond each of us A holding those in power who represent us accountable, B supporting organizations who actively work to protect civil liberties, and C staying informed so that we can make good decisions, there is little that we can do to change this currently sad state of affairs.

I'll admit I can be rather pessimistic and fatalistic about these things. But I think it's important that we all remember (especially me!) that the trend over time has been to put more technology in the hands of "ordinary citizens" like you and me, whereas in the past cryptography and technology in general were largely far out of reach of common people. So I think that perhaps, on balance, we are far better off than we used to be in this regard...though it may be hard to keep that in perspective now that our understanding has grown to the point where we know enough the be paranoid. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

@wkleem: And of course I completely forgot to mention the Note to Self episode that made me think to post here again:

Note to Self: When Your Conspiracy Theory Is True

I just discovered this show via Radiolab, since Note to Self was featured in the latest episode as well:

Radiolab: Eye in the Sky

Great show, and there is a lot of interesting information on surveillance and tracking technologies. The show in the first link deals primarily with cell phone tracking, while the second is about aerial surveillance, so I thought they might be of interest to you and others.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, Thank you for the info. I will look at it, time permitting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha, no problem! Yeah, I'm sorry to dump all that on you. I just thought it was all so fascinating! :)

This discussion has been closed.