First time using - "open and fill" opens but does not fill - what might be wrong?

Options
douglerner
douglerner
Community Member

I am a long term PasswordWallet user, but since I have a 1Password license and my friends seem to like it I thought I would try it out. I'm not sure what is better compared to PasswordWallet, which seems to work fine, but anyway...

I used the Perl script available to import all my PW entries into 1Password. That seemed to work fine. I can see all my entries in 1Password. And sync seems to work well via DropBox with the iOS version. Actually that seems to work better. I have always had some trouble keeping my PW syncs synced with iOS. But with 1Password it seems to "just work."

But how do I actually use 1Password to login?

I hovered over my CitiBank login URL and selected "open and fill". My browser opens to the login page ok, but nothing is "filled."

At the login page I can control-click in the input field, select CitiBank from the login items and choose "copy" to copy the password and paste in in manually but... obviously that's a cumbersome approach.

What might I be missing here? What do I need to copy "open and fill" to work?

Thanks,

doug

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Just checking to see if you installed the extension for your web browser. You do that from the 1Password 5 menu. Then, does looking at this page help? And this one?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

Please do let us know if you make any progress with hawkmoth's suggestions. It would seem a strongly possibility that you don't have our extension installed yet which is needed to allow us to interact with the web page. Now just to let you know that we find bank login pages are some of the trickiest out there, a combination with how difficult it can be to see the full login process (making accounts at all the various banks out there is surprisingly difficult) and they often have the most difficult web pages to work with even if we know what to expect. I'm pretty sure we can work with Citi though so it may simply be a case of helping create the right Login item to help you.

Let us know how you get along though and we can take it from there :smile:

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. The extension was already installed for my web browser (Firefox). Just in case it was an old version I just re-installed it. But still nothing gets filled in when i choose "open and fill" from the 1Password app.

I also tried "open and fill" from within the browser extension itself, but no luck.

So if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I also tried via my iPhone 6 Plus, but it seems outside the 1Password browser the whole set of logins aren't available. And inside the 1Password browser Citi says the browser isn't an allowed type. Why aren't the same sets of logins available from inside Safari and inside the 1Password app itself? Sorry to digress with an iOS question.

Thanks,

doug

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

We will certainly address the iOS question but just to make sure I don't start getting confused and making a mess of both I'd like to concentrate on one at a time if you don't mind - my multitasking can be atrocious at times :tongue:

As I mentioned, bank websites are tricky but I know we have team members who are customers of this bank and can successfully log into the site so it does work. I wonder if this thread will be of any use to you. The trick with Citi seems to be using the correct URL and potentially saving a new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide.

I suspect the best way forward is to get this working first on your Mac as if it doesn't work there you probably won't have any better joy on iOS. From there hopefully we have a good base to work from and can then assist with 1Password for iOS. Does that sound like a reasonable plan of action?

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the followup. Based on a hint at the linked thread I was able to solve the problem.

What was happening was that after going to the site Citi was redirecting me to https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do.

However, since that was not the URL in 1Password it was not recognized for auto-fill.

After changing the URL in 1Password to the URL above it worked, auto-filled, and even logged me in. Very nice.

The reason this was never a problem in PasswordWallet is because PW doesn't auto-fill. After you arrive at the site you use their little pop-up to fill. So it didn't matter that there was a redirection after going to the site.

Anyway, it works fine now. Haven't tested in iOS yet, but will post if I have a problem with that.

Thanks very much for the quick support.

doug

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

I'm happy to read that the conversion utility worked well for you!

Enjoy 1Password.

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the conversion utility worked without a problem. Afterwards you just have to clean up the special "pause" characters used by PasswordWallet used to do a login over two pages.

1Password seems to handle that well without the special character. And if the special character is left it thinks it is part of the password.

doug

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@douglerner ,

Thanks. I was unaware of the special pause character, I'll see if i can find out more about it and update the script to remove it.

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes, it worked very well. Without it I would never have bothered even trying 1Password! So thank you very much.

PasswordWallet has a few special characters like that. I use the "pause resume" on many sites because of two-page login. 1Password seems to deal with it without those characters though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @douglerner,

It seems we've adopted very different approaches. They're mimicking the keyboard and relying on the fact that the tab character does jump you from field to field. Our approach is to use a browser extension to collect the page's DOM and work at that level using the names and IDs of fields to record what should go where.

As you've seen from a couple of posts now we will often recommend trying to create a brand new Login item using How to manually save a Login as that allows the extension to do this. Essentially you fill in the fields you want 1Password to know about and then save a Login. All going well 1Password will fill those fields and none others each time. It's also the only way to create a Login item that needs to fill more than a single username and password field.

Hopefully you're enjoying 1Password and if you have further questions do please ask :smile:

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes, I am enjoying it so far. After I've tried it some more I'll write up some comparisons with PasswordWallet. Your approach has some advantages. PW's approach has some advantages when the fields or URLs get wonky. But then it takes more steps each time to login. Anyway, yes, I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks.

doug

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@douglerner, I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying 1Password so far! We're always here for you if you have more questions or run into any problems, so just let us know. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

@douglerner,

PasswordWallet has a few special characters like that. I use the "pause resume" on many sites because of two-page login. 1Password seems to deal with it without those characters though.

Thank you for the list - that helped. I'm working on updating the converter now. What an entirely goofy, ill-conceived, and ambiguous system that is!

I have some questions for you.

It seems these few special auto-type characters are reserved, and not allowable username or password characters in PasswordWallet, so it seems safe to always converter or strip them as necessary.

The • character (tab to next field) can be placed within the username or password field. I expect this means you could have, for example, a username such as foo•bar, and foo would be entered as the username, auto-type would tab, and then bar would entered into the currently focused field. Since I don't know that field name of that next field, I'll split foo•bar, placing foo as the username, and I'll place bar into Notes as something like username-field2: bar. This preserves the values of both. Same with « (reverse tab). These obviously have no meaning at the beginning or end of a username or password and can simply be stripped.

I wonder what it means to have the ¶ auto-type character (carriage return/newline) before the end of a username or password? Do all characters after the ¶ get ignored?

I presume it is safe to always strip the pause/resume character.

The special Link To sequence is entirely broken if there are multiple entries with the same Title, since the link is ambiguous. I'm going to just place the special link sequence into the username or password, and let the user figure this out.

Edit: I'm done with the updating, minus any changes I'll make based on your responses.

• douglerner
    douglerner
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it might be goofy. But for two page logins sometimes the PW method is easier to get working.

With 1Password it doesn't always "just work" as you might see with my Bank of America login problem in another thread.

Still, I'm impressed at how well it does work in most two-page logins so far.

I was using the character (tab to next field) at one site. I ended up needing to create an extra field for it in 1Password by creating a new login. 1Password then took the proper field name from the DOM and it worked fine. I'm not sure what would happen if you name the fields ad-hoc like that.

I've never used the reverse tab. For Hebrew and Arabic sites? :)

Sorry - I've never had a reason to the the auto-type character before so I'm not sure.

In 100% of all my cases so far it has been safe to strip the pause/resume character.

Sorry I wasn't much help. I really only have mostly used the pause/resume character and the tab character in just one login.

Thanks,

doug

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

You were a great help, and I very much appreciate it. I'll put out an update to the converter today - it will be in the _testing folder referenced in the main converter post.

btw. by goofy I meant that there is a much better way to handle what the programmer was trying to accomplish. He/She was taking a cheap, easy shortcut to not develop the necessary UI to provide you with the means to accomplish what was necessary to handle multi-field entries, delays, etc. Instead, the username and password were overloaded, to mean more than just username and password. And it was done in a way that created ambiguity and uncertain behavior. The password manager KeePass2, for example, handles this better - there is a UI to allow users to create sequences to direct auto-type, pausing, field navigation, etc.

Edit: version 1.06 posted to the _testing folder.

This discussion has been closed.