I can't open my PDF attachment in 1Password

Bruce_Cowan
Bruce_Cowan
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am using Pro and have saved a pdf of my passport to the system. However I cannot view the pdf. How can I resolve this

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

Windows Version 4.5.0.575
    IOS Ver 5.4.2
    sync type wifi

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

sorry Windows version 4.50.0.575

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

When you say you can't view it, what happens? You need to be a little more specific about what you're doing and what happens.

Are you using the right click > open option for example?

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

I am using Pro and have saved a pdf of my passport into my password record. However I cannot view the pdf. How can I resolve this?
    Windows Version 4.50.0.575
    IOS Ver 5.4.2
    sync type wifi

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @Bruce_Cowan,

As Richard mentioned, we need to know what you're doing to open the file and what happens afterward. How are you trying to view the PDF? Did you right-click on the attachment to open it?

Here's how to open it:

Note you do need to make sure you have a PDF viewer installed. It might not be opening because there's nothing to open it with.

If you're having issues with the attachment, can you tell me if you see the attachment on your iOS device and if yes, can you view it there?

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

Hi Mike and Richard,
    Thanks for your responses.
    I cannot see an Attachment box in the passport record on either the windows PC or my I-phone.
    I used the add button on the bottom left of the passport record to save the pdf of the passport.

As a check, I also have saved a pdf of my AA (Automobile Association) card to the record of my access to the AA website and I can see that pdf on my PC using your instruction Mike, but cannot see that pdf on my I-phone or I-pad. I cannot see the attachment box on the AA record on my phone or I-pad. I can view pdf's on my I-phone & ipad,

I hope that helps,
    Regards
    Bruce

• @Bruce_Cowan - what format is your 1Password vault? Is it in the .agilekeychain format? If you are using WiFi sync and you have attachments you will need to use the new .opvault format otherwise those attachments will not be synced. An alternative would be to sync using Dropbox and this is a great alternative. Here are the user guides to set up the Dropbox sync -

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member

I have been using iOS version and just bought license for windows but have not installed it yet. The main reason to do so is to stop relying on Dropbox. Other reason to get windows version is to use attachments.

Now as LauraR mentioned my files will be .agilekeychain on Dropbox that I currently use.

1. How will I sync my windows install to Dropbox and then stop using Dropbox and change over to wifi sync
    2. Or how do I make change from .agilekeychain to .opvault

I am a bit confused on steps I need to take.

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

Thanks for that Laura,
    I am now operating. Thanks for that team

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

Oops,
    I am not seeing the attachments o my I-phone. any suggestions?
    Thanks

• @Bruce_Cowan - did you switch to Dropbox sync or did you transfer to opvault format? For help switching to opvault format please see this forum post.

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

@LauraR - I read the link you provided for conversion from .agilekeychain to .opvault.

I am not sure why a company that creates security product will generate a text based file for conversion between your own software? I can understand that if cross product migration is needed you may need to convert to all text. It's unfathomable for a company who's in business of securing what matters most to endusers resorting to functions that makes the said endusers to the vulnerabilities.

I guess I should have asked these questions before I purchased full licenses for windows and Mac.

Is there anything changing in future by any chance or users like us have to fend themselves and deal with so called 1PIF file and learn to remove it securely?

• Hi @devibimal,

I am not sure why a company that creates security product will generate a text based file for conversion between your own software?

These are two separate formats with a lot of encryption changes. In order to cleanly switch from one format to another format, we have to decrypt your data by asking for your master password since we don't know it and store it in a textual format before asking again for a new master password to re-encrypt it into a new format. You can't convert an encrypted content into a different version, you always have to decrypt, store it somewhere, and re-encrypt it. It's the same reason you have to export data from a different program into another program, how the encryption works is different.

Is there anything changing in future by any chance or users like us have to fend themselves and deal with so called 1PIF file and learn to remove it securely?

We plan to phase out the .agilekeychain format and switch to .opvault format as the default format. We might add a semi-automated process to help users decrypt > export > import > re-encrypt before secure deleting the export file if the user confirms it should be done. This process is extremely risky, which is why we rather the user handle it manually in each step of the process to ensure it goes through smoothly.

You can use tools like Eraser, CCleaner, or File Shredder to securely remove your 1PIF files.

• Bruce_Cowan
    Bruce_Cowan
    Community Member

Hi guys,
    I have changed my format to opvault and successfully saved the info in a second vault. leaving the old copy in the original vault
    However when trying to wifi this across to my i-pad and phone, I am still not seeing the pdf copies of the passport. I tried sharing the vault but the dropbox under our email is in my wife's name and it appears I cannot have 2 dropboxes to the same email address. Suggestions please.

• Hi @Bruce_Cowan,

It sounds like we're talking about two separate issues, let's focus on the first issue first:

I have changed my format to opvault and successfully saved the info in a second vault. leaving the old copy in the original vault
    However when trying to Wi-Fi this across to my i-pad and phone, I am still not seeing the pdf copies of the passport.

You said you left the original copy in the original vault, I'm not sure I understand. Did you move the item with the attachment to the new opvault format and sync it via Wi-Fi? First, can you confirm you can open the attachment on Windows? We need to make sure the attachment is working on Windows before we test it on the iOS device.

Also, try creating a brand new item in the new opvault and drag a random file into the item's attachment box to save it. Once you do that, do a Wi-Fi sync to your iOS device, does it show up?

I tried sharing the vault but the dropbox under our email is in my wife's name and it appears I cannot have 2 dropboxes to the same email address.

You can share a folder between two separate accounts, just move your 1Password vault into this shared folder and Dropbox will sync it to both folders in both accounts for you. You can find out how to share folders here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

This discussion has been closed.