Lag with 1password browser extension

Options
eatswimbikerun
eatswimbikerun
Community Member

I have been experiencing a ridiculous amount of lag with the 1password browser extensions for BOTH Chrome and Firefox. The problem is resolved by restarting the computer, but it builds - meaning that the more time between computer restarts, the longer the lag. When I click on the browser extension and am asked for my master passwords, there is a full 2-3 seconds of lag between my typing and the keystrokes being registered on the extension (with the black dot).

It isn't a browser issue, documented by the two browsers I am using (Chrome/Firefox). When one lags, they both do.
I have tried reinstalling the extensions, to no avail.
I have tried restarting the browsers (both and individually, but see above - it isn't a browser issue).

Any ideas? Restarting my computer every single time this happens is not a permanent workaround, as is my current solution (opening the 1password application and unlocking it, thereby unlocking the extensions as well).

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1 (Firefox) 4.3.1.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eatswimbikerun,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I agree that it is not a browser issue since the UI you are seeing once you click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar is 100% coming from 1Password mini. The extension is (more or less) just the filling engine. All the UI is 1Password mini (a native app).

When this happens next time, don't restart your Mac. Generate a Diagnostics Report as close to the time the issue occurs as possible. You can create a Diagnostics Report by following the steps here:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• SunSparc
    SunSparc
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing this as well. I can have the whole password typed in and then sit back for several seconds while I watch the dots keep appearing in the master password field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunSparc: The only time I've seen this behaviour is when I have a ridiculous number of tabs open, or when the battery is low and OS X throttles the CPU. Do either of those apply to your situation?

The best thing to do would be to send a diagnostics report as khad suggested above. That was we can look at the logs to try to determine the cause. And if we were to get diagnostics from multiple people having the same issue, that might make it easier to track down! :)

• SunSparc
    SunSparc
    Community Member
    Options

Haha! Yes, I always have tons of tabs open. Though recently I have had fewer that usual. Meaning, 25 tabs between 2 browser instead of 40 between 4 browser windows. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunSparc: Yes, you and I seem to have a similar notion of 'fewer'. :lol:

Do things improve temporarily if you quit the browser and reopen it, or if you use another browser with a single-digit number of tabs open? ;)

I suspect it does, as the browser will be creating a separate instance of all extensions for each tab, and this becomes an exponential strain on system resources, which in turn can cause annoying speed and responsiveness issues (with which I am intimately familiar). Please let me know what you find! :)

• SunSparc
    SunSparc
    Community Member
    Options

This morning there is no lag while typing. Maybe because the computer just woke up. If/when it starts lagging again, I will try closing all the windows and see if that helps.

On a side note, when I type the whole password into the master password field and then press Command+A to select it all, it takes a good several seconds and shows the beachball before it is able to comply. Probably related.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SunSparc,

When you say your Mac just "woke up" do you mean it was in sleep mode, or it was completely shut down and you booted it? For the problem with using ⌘A in the master password field, does that happen only when the typing lag happens? Or was it happening this morning even when there was no lag when typing your master password?

If you haven't already done so, try rebooting your Mac when the problem starts to happen again. After it restarts, does the typing lag or ⌘A delay happen?

• SunSparc
    SunSparc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew! The ⌘A lag happened even when the password typing was not lagging. I rarely reboot my Mac, so in this case "woke up" means it was in sleep mode.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @SunSparc! Has the password typing lag happened again since the other day? Hopefully that's been working correctly, but if it started lagging again, did you reboot your Mac to see if that helped?

If you typing lag hasn't been a problem for the past couple days, but the ⌘A lag still happens, you can try rebooting your Mac to see if that makes any difference, and whether or not it becomes a problem again. Let us know how it goes, as that might be a clue about what's going on. Thanks!

• SunSparc
    SunSparc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the password lag still happened. However, yesterday I updated OS X to the latest, which required a reboot. Since then I have not had lag. I will keep an eye on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that helped. Indeed, a reboot has been necessary to resolve similar OS X issues of me lately as well. Here's hoping for a solid 10.11! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.