1password mini writes huge amount of data

floxx
floxx
Community Member

Recently, I checked disk activity in activity monitor and was shocked: 1password mini wrote more than 2TB of data! It seems to write continuously data. I killed the process and restarted it. After a couple of Minutes, 2GB were written again. Is that normal?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox and Gdrive Folder

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @floxx,

Could you clarify, are you seeing this number in the list view or in the stats at the bottom of Activity Monitor? It's important to note that 1Password mini is responsible for both the encryption and syncing in the main app as well as the browser extension, so a fair bit of activity here would not be abnormal.

The numbers in the list view at the top represent the amount of data written since the process was started, and the tally at the bottom represents all processes.

• floxx
    floxx
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

here is a screenshot of my activity monitor showing disk activity of 1password mini:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @floxx,

Thanks for the new screenshot! One thing I noticed in your original message is that you entered "Dropbox and Gdrive Folder" as the sync type. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with the activity you're noticing in Activity Monitor, although that's really just speculation on my part. Can you please elaborate on how you have your sync options set up in 1Password? To sync with Google Drive, you would need to be using the Folder sync option in 1Password, but that cannot be enabled at the same time as Dropbox sync for the same vault. Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password? How is each vault set up to sync data? If you can let us know more details about that, it might help us to figure out the reason for all the disk activity.

Thanks!

• floxx
    floxx
    Community Member

Here is my setup:

I have 3 vaults.

Vault 1: Synced with Dropbox, used by only me
    Vault 2: Synced with Google Drive, shared with 2 other people
    Vault 3: Synced with Dropbox, shared with 1 other person

I attached the current disk activity screenshot. As you can see, the amount of written data doubled since my post at 1:26PM.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @floxx,

In your first post you mentioned killing the process but can I ask, have you gone for a full reboot of the Mac recently? It can't do any harm and it does sometimes cure all sorts of weird behaviour.

Obviously that's now guarantee at all but I'd like just like to check. The next thing would be to check how large each .agilekeychain is and see if any of them have been growing or seem unusually large. I ask as I'm suspecting this is sync related. If one of the vaults seems unusually large (feel free to post the sizes and number of items in each - that won't give anything away and we can comment) then we might have found a culprit. If one looks likely we could try temporarily disabling sync for that vault and see if the disk usage drops dramatically or not. If it does drop we'll probably want to recreate that .agilekeychain and if it doesn't drop we continue the investigation. Please do keep us informed as we'll continue to work through this with you.

• floxx
    floxx
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I rebooted the mac some hours ago and the amount of written data is growing again (30gb until now).

In system.log are many entries like that:
    Jun 30 17:24:44 macbook.local 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[442]: 532001 [AGILEKEYCHAIN:0x7fe1e96b1530:] E enumerateItemsPassingTest:usingBlock: | Invalid URL set, mainURL is missing in 'file:///Users/floxx/Google%20Drive/internal/tools/1password/vault.agilekeychain/data/default/': ' conflicts={(

...here comes a long list of files.

Could that be the problem?

===

Anyway, here are the sizes of my vaults:

Vault 1: Synced with Dropbox, used by only me
    314 items
    711.5 KB (728.649 bytes)
    Physical: 1.6 MB (1.679.360 bytes)

Vault 2: Synced with Google Drive, shared with 2 other people
    929 items
    9.4 MB (9.867.153 bytes)
    Physical: 11.6 MB (12.218.368 bytes)

Vault 3: Synced with Dropbox, shared with 1 other person
    40 items
    369.7 KB (378.603 bytes)
    Physical: 480 KB (491.520 bytes)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @floxx,

So none of the vaults displayed the explosion in size that I suspected might be seen but the errors in the system log do make me want to see what happens if you temporarily disable sync to the Google Drive shared vault. Would you be happy to try that and see if it makes any difference? You don't have to disable permanently, this is just to see if we've discovered the issue.

• floxx
    floxx
    Community Member

I paused Google Drive Sync directly after reboot. No difference. 1p mini still writes mass of data.
    I left the activity monitor open and watched when data is written.
    I recognized a pattern: Every first login after unlocking 1p browser plugin results reproducible in approximately 200MB of written data.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @floxx,

Thanks for trying that! At this point, to help us figure out what's causing this problem, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• floxx
    floxx
    Community Member

Done.
    Support id: #KUD-74515-669

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @floxx,

Somebody should be in contact shortly, thank you for supplying the ticket ID :smile:

• abeutel
    abeutel
    Community Member

Experiencing the same situation here - about 500GB written by 1Password Mini in ~5 hours.

We're using folder based sync for one shared vault on a Synology NAS (via Cloud Station) which worked flawless for about a year or so and started to create conflicts about one or two months ago (hard to find the reason since Synology updated the NAS OS and Cloud Station Application as well as 1Password has ben updated and Mac OS on some clients also).

To fix the problem we removed the synced folder from all Macs and created a new share in Cloud Station, created and imported a new vault and moved all exported entries from the old vault there. It worked for 3 days or so and now 1Password mini is again staying at 90%+ CPU usage (and has written about 500GB in 5 hours on my Mac). Same at the colleagues machines.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abeutel,

Could you please follow Drew's instructions above to create a Diagnostics Report and send it in to our team?

I'm sorry to hear that this problem is happening to you as well, hopefully we'll be able to determine from the Report where things are getting tangled up.

• abeutel
    abeutel
    Community Member

Hi @Megan, sure I'll do so!

In our case Synology Cloud Station sync may be the culprit – since their DSM Update to 5.2 in May the CS sync had some major issues and the forums out there are full of CS failure reports. On the other hand: the private 1Password vault I'm syncing with my Laptop trough CS works fine, so it may be caused by the number of users syncing. Too bad Dropbox is no option (even for for testing) due to our security policy.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @abeutel ,

I'm not familiar with how Cloud Station manages sync (or conflicts, for that matter) but it seems to me that there is the potential, with a shared company vault in particular, for things to get a bit complicated. Hopefully the Report will shed some light. :)

• abeutel
    abeutel
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

for testing I disabled the Cloud Station sync for the folder with the company shared vault and 1Password Mini has written 60 Kb (and read 42MB) in the last 30 minutes (where it had written 13 GB the hour before). So in our case it's definitely a problem with Cloud Station Sync...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @abeutel, it sounds like Cloud Station Sync definitely has something to do with this.

Have you send the diagnostics report yet? I wasn't able to find one under the email address associated with your forum account. But if you sent it from a different email address or haven't sent it yet, that's fine - there's no rush! I just wanted to check in case there was a problem receiving it. Once you send it, feel free to post the Support ID number from the automated email response you receive, and we can verify that we received it.

Thanks!

• abeutel
    abeutel
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

I just sent the report (same email address as associated with my forum account). And on my Laptop 1Password mini has written about 196 MB and read 425 MB in the last 10 Minutes...

Andreas

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @abeutel, we've received your Diagnostics Report! I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: DSQ-54386-485

This discussion has been closed.