El Capitan 1Password stating that I am running the incorrect version of 1Password mini

Options
MACMAD
MACMAD
Community Member

I am testing El Capitan and found an interesting error display launching 1Password 5. A little history is probably a good idea at this time. I have my drive partitioned into 4 . One is my production volume (Yosemite 10.10) and another is for beta testing (El Capitan 10.11). The other are storage. I am in the process of getting my most important apps in working order. First was (sorry) was Little Snitch which did call for a few hoop jumps, but it is functioning fine. Next was going to be yours but I needed dropbox first. Done.
I launched 1Password and I got a message stating that I had two versions of the mini running. The strange part was the first instance was from my partition on the Yosemite volume and the second on was on the El Capitan drive. I find this strange as it is a different boot volumes. The error shows up every time on launch. I certainly do not need a conflict with my production apps and my beta testing apps.
I am stopping beta testing until I hear back from you, of all things I do not need to get out of sync!

Imac 2.93GHz i7 20G ram

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Unfortunately there is a bug in OS X (it exists in Yosemite, and it now seems Apple still have it in El Capitan). I'm not quite sure whether it is in Spotlight, LaunchServices, or where.

Anyway, the effect is that if there are two versions of a program available, the wrong one is sometimes opened. I suspect that this often occurs, but is usually not important. I do not know why it is significant in 1PW, but that's why the warning crops up; AgileBits have not been able to work around the bug, so give the warning. For most people, but it would not work in your case, the advice is to remove extra copies of 1PW (which are usually on backup drives, where they can easily be removed).

Try unmounting the Yosemite partition when you are testing El Capitan.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MACMAD,

I hope that Danco's response has been helpful to you. He's correct, the error you describe is unfortunately not new to El Capitan. Starting with Yosemite, the operating system has gotten a little bit overzealous when searching for the mini when we ask it to launch.

At this time, our advice is to have only one copy of 1Password installed on your system at a time. Unmounting those extra partitions might solve this for you. :)

• MACMAD
    MACMAD
    Community Member
    Options

I was burning some brain cells on this one because the usual way that I have my system set up is that There is one partition that is live and one that most recently would contain the new beta. Before I would have the partition with the previous OS X. This is actually the first time that I have encountered this error. So the big question is what is different.
    I remembered that one thing that did bother me was how far reaching spotlight was. I used the privacy option in spotlight to eliminate all other drives except the one that I was booted off of. I do not think I have gotten around to it on El Capitan partition. I will give it a go and get back to you. Work first then play.........

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MACMAD,

Thanks for investigating this! I seem to recall that restricting Spotlight was another option given for this problem, so I hope that it works for you in this case as well. :) Enjoy work, and play!

• MACMAD
    MACMAD
    Community Member
    Options

I finally got a chance to play and yes, by placing my Yosemite partition in the privacy list in spotlight cleared the problem.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MACMAD Glad to hear that restricting Spotlight did the trick for you!

This discussion has been closed.