Merging vault Mac/Windows 7

Options
maureenflaherty
maureenflaherty
Community Member

When I set up our vault (Windows7, syncing using dropbox), I shared it with my husband (MacOS, also syncing w/ dropbox), who didn't read my instructions and created his own vault, which now has dozens of items in it.) From what I've read about how Mac syncing works, it seems like my best option would be to go into his vault on his computer, export his vault, then import into the vault we want to share. Any duplicates should make themselves evident and we can delete older, out of date logins.

Then he'll open the vault on my dropbox henceforth. (And once we're confident it's all come over, delete the old one.)

Is that right?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maureenflaherty,

Would you be willing to believe that for us males it's a genetic trait that causes us not to read instructions? no? I didn't think so but it was worth a shot :tongue:

Due to how 1Password for Mac works we'll actually be able to sidestep one part of what you outlined. Instead of exporting all you will need to do is disable Dropbox sync and then re-enable it but pointing to the right .agilekeychain. 1Password for Mac will then merge the contents of this vault with your .agilekeychain and then you can work on tidying up any duplicates.

The following steps should resolve everything.

1. Launch 1Password for Mac and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Sync tab and assuming 1Password 5 for Mac, change the sync option from Dropbox to None.
    3. In the confirmation window that pops up, tick the checkbox titled Delete data from Dropbox and then click on the Disable Sync button. This will allow you to easily delete the .agilekeychain you don't want to keep - they one your husband created by not specifying your .agilekeychain without any fear of accidentally deleting the wrong one.
    4. Let Dropbox sync the deletion (it can take a few seconds).
    5. Change the sync option from None back to Dropbox but this time you can select your .agilekeychain. It may very well say the .agilekeychain is quite different and ask if you're sure you want to merge which you do.
    6. There will be a bit of Dropbox activity while it does the merging but once the Mac has calmed down you will find 1Password for Windows will show the same contents and you can then start the process of removing duplicates or old entries.

This can't be done in 1Password for Windows because the .agilekeychain is your vault while to 1Password for Mac it's just the sync data. If you have been dealing with two copies of 1Password for Windows then what you suggested, exporting one to import into the other, is what we'd have recommended. It's just in this case there's a small shortcut you can use :smile:

If you have any questions before you start please do ask.

• maureenflaherty
    maureenflaherty
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!. Since this involves reading instructions, I'll probably go onto his computer and make the change myself. ;)

Thanks for your prompt response.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's probably the safest approach (we can't be trusted) :tongue:

• maureenflaherty
    maureenflaherty
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to merge everything with this method, so thank you.

However, none of the folders I have set up in the windows file seem to have carried over, though they are still visible in windows file.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maureenflaherty,

Now this may seem silly so I apologise in advance. The first thing worth checking is to see if 1Password for Mac has the Folders section minimised. It's just a thought as I know it's something we've fought with in the past. So do you see the word Folders at all in the Sidebar? It would appear in bold and if you hover the cursor over it the word show should appear. If it does you can click to expand the list. If it is there it will be directly below the Categories section and above Tags. When you expand does it show anything familiar? If you can't see the word Folders at all then 1Password for Mac hasn't found them which is odd.

Let us know if that makes any difference and we'll mull over some other possibilities :smile:

• maureenflaherty
    maureenflaherty
    Community Member
    Options

I'll make my husband check. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! Let us know how it goes when you/your husband get a chance to check it out. If it's more of a problem than that, we'll continue from there.

This discussion has been closed.