Password recipe options [feature request]

ccrayton
ccrayton
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Lounge

Love 1password and what would make it almost perfect for me would be if you would make a Safari like password recipe. Safari's passwords consist of upper and lower case letters, numbers and hyphens only. This works on every site I have ever used. With 1password, I either select pronounceable and fail because there are no numbers, or pick unpronounceable and get a bunch of fail because { or % or < is not a valid password character on that site. Really annoying, especially for the one site that I am on that requires 16-character passwords with upper, lower, numbers and symbols but then only allows three different symbols. I can't just go back to the password generator and pick a new one, so I end up using Safari's password generator and copy/pasting into the 1password entry. Oh, and then deleting the useless password items the password generator creates for me in it's attempt to be helpful... :)

A Safari recipe would be great! Especially since the problematic sites for me are things like banks, AT&T, bills, etc.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ccrayton: It sounds like maybe you're referring to 1Password for Mac. Is that correct? We do hope to improve the password generator in a future versions, both to offer more options and to add flexibility, as some sites are still woefully unaccommodating when it comes to password length and composition (as you're well aware!) Thanks for letting us know you'd also like to see the password generator expanded! :)

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member

I too would really really like to see improvements here. For me, the biggest obstacle in the system is when I want a passphrase that is easy to enter manually on an iPhone or Roku. That means minimizing the number of times I go back and forth from capital letters and symbols. So I'd like to be able to auto generate pass phrases such as:

"going SELDOM 5 !nannies"

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mattyf,

I believe the original request was in relation to the sometimes odd requirements some sites have while yours is obviously about manually typing it out. What I'm wondering though is where are you needing to do this? I mean this as a genuine question as between copy and paste and the fantastic iOS Safari Extension (I really do love it) I can't remember the last time I needed to type a password on my iPhone. The better we understand how people need/want to use our software the better for us :smile:

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member

I run into this a lot with my Roku. Sometimes apps are built such that they can be linked with an activation code, but sometimes not and passwords have to be typed in manually. It's also an issue (though less so) with my appleTV. I like to have this kind of password on things like Spotify and Pandora (so its easy to input on Roku and AppleTV).

Also, there are more than a few accounts that I share with my significant other. He does not have 1Password on his phone, so I end up manually inputting these accounts. ESPECIALLY in situation where I have to read him the password over the phone, i prefer to have it easy for him to type in, otherwise he gets pissed at me. :)

Finally, I have one banking app that I use daily that does not have a 1Password tie in, and does not remember passwords, so I manually type in the password each time I use it.

So for these situations, it helps to have a password I can completely hold in my short term memory, and that does not require a lot of keyboard shifts for when I have to type on tiny cumbersome keyboards.

Make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So for these situations, it helps to have a password I can completely hold in my short term memory, and that does not require a lot of keyboard shifts for when I have to type on tiny cumbersome keyboards. Make sense?

@mattyf: Perfect sense. I think we've all been in a similar situation from time to time (though hopefully not too often). We'll see if we can add more options for generating passwords in the future.

I love my Apple TV, but I never ever want to enter passwords on the thing. Maybe Apple will open up the platform and we can just AirDrop/Handoff/Continuity-whatever to it to login someday! :lol:

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member

Yeah, there are rumors floating around that the next version of AppleTV is going to have a true app store for third party apps, so maybe it will! And a remote with touchID? Or maybe a link between 1Password on the iPhone and the AppleTV?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, there are rumors floating around that the next version of AppleTV is going to have a true app store for third party apps, so maybe it will!

@mattyf: If true, I will be first in line! :eh:

And a remote with touchID? Or maybe a link between 1Password on the iPhone and the AppleTV?

I don't know about all that, but we can dream! I can't wait for the next Apple event, for so many reasons. :chuffed:

• joshlawless
    joshlawless
    Community Member

Please add my vote for more sophistication in the password recipe. In particular, it would be helpful to have the different ingredients (lower case letters, upper case letters, digits, symbols, spaces) all be toggle-able. E.g., if I want to mix just numbers and symbols, but no letters, I check the boxes for numbers and symbols. If i want all capital letters and no lower case, I click just the box for capital letters. Etc.

Also, for pronounceable passwords, I frequently find myself toggling the length up and down by one, to regenerate a password more to my liking. It would be nice to have a button to re-generate a password according to the current recipe (without having to otherwise change a recipe input, like length, back and forth).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, for pronounceable passwords, I frequently find myself toggling the length up and down by one, to regenerate a password more to my liking. It would be nice to have a button to re-generate a password according to the current recipe (without having to otherwise change a recipe input, like length, back and forth).

@joshlawless: Agreed! I actually just double-click to toggle the "Pronounceable" checkbox, but hopefully we can add more control for generating passwords in general in the future, as it would be useful for many of us. :)

• mynumbersplease
    mynumbersplease
    Community Member

I know that there are a lot of request on the password generator and ideas, and even mine, but I did not see it. I thought that if you developed a method that a website can have a link to the recipie built into their website that 1password can read and the password generator sugest/requires If this was open sourced it could become an industry standard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mynumbersplease: Ah, funny you should bring that up! There's actually been an interesting discussion about this in the Lounge. Be sure to check it out! :)

• mattyf
    mattyf
    Community Member

@brenty: So I see in the new ios version, you've included exactly what I asked for (in the wordlist password generator)!!!

Awesome!

I hope I'm safe in assuming that this will show up in the desktop version as well? Because often, I use my computer to set up these accounts that need easily entered passphrases on less capable systems....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty: So I see in the new ios version, you've included exactly what I asked for (in the wordlist password generator)!!!
    Awesome!

@mattyf: I know! We're excited about this too! :chuffed:

I hope I'm safe in assuming that this will show up in the desktop version as well? Because often, I use my computer to set up these accounts that need easily entered passphrases on less capable systems....

We don't have anything to announce at this time, but it's certainly worth considering... ;)

• BrianWest
    BrianWest
    Community Member

+1 on the idea of putting the wordlist password generator on the desktop version. I create passwords on the desktop 99% of the time. The phone is where I need to retrieve them.

Love this feature. Looking forward to seeing it on the desktop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Me too! :chuffed:

• chrisortman
    chrisortman
    Community Member

I had problems with this today too, but found a nice little trick for the sites where no matter how long your password is it can't possibly be secure without a number in it. Just use the pronounceable recipe and then before you click the fill button stick a number in the password box

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

the sites where no matter how long your password is it can't possibly be secure without a number in it

@chrisortman: I love that description. :lol:

Just use the pronounceable recipe and then before you click the fill button stick a number in the password box

That's a neat tip! While not as strong as a truly-randomly-chosen password involving numbers, if you're already generating a long one that certainly won't make it less secure, and little tweaks like that are sometimes necessary when sites have preposterously persnickety password prerequisites. Thanks for sharing! :)

This discussion has been closed.