SOCKS Proxy blocks 1Password Agent Contact

Options
ooglek
ooglek
Community Member

I had started a SOCKS Proxy in the Wifi Settings on my Macbook Pro laptop. I was working just fine in both Chrome and Firefox, using 1Password without any issues.

After I closed my Macbook lid and it went to sleep, and using Firefox 38.0.5, I had to restart the proxy so it connected. When I tried to fill a form with 1Password, the "agent" wasn't connecting. Chrome at the same time was working correctly.

I was able to resolve it by turning off the SOCKS Proxy. Then I set the proxy up again and it still worked.

I haven't been able to reproduce, but it was odd enough that I thought I'd post it here.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ooglek,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about that!

When I tried to fill a form with 1Password, the "agent" wasn't connecting.

"1PasswordAgent" was a component of 1Password 3, so if you're seeing a reference to that, it could simply be something left over from version 3 on your Mac (and in that case shouldn't cause any problems for version 5).

On the other hand, if the problem was that 1Password mini (part of 1Password 5) wasn't connecting to the 1Password extension in Firefox in order to fill a web form (and if that happens again), I wonder if the following knowledgebase articles might be helpful:

If the problem doesn't happen again, then you won't need to worry about that - but if it does, please let us know if the above articles help at all. Thanks!

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe "Agent" is the wrong term. It's the "mini app" and the browser's plugin connectivity with the mini app.

I'm guessing the mini app is listening on a local port?

It wasn't a system problem, as Chrome seemed to work fine, only Firefox stopped working, and once I turned off the SOCKS5 Proxy in the system settings, 1Password worked again, and after I turned the SOCKS5 Proxy back on again, it worked again.

It was a strange state that was not related to the firewall or communications with a different browser on the same computer with the same system-wide network settings to use the SOCKS5 Proxy (I did confirm both browsers were set to use the system settings for proxies).

Does the 1Password Add-On/Extension communicate with the 'mini app' ever time it is invoked/clicked on?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ooglek,

I'm glad it's still working correctly! It certainly sounds like it was something to do specifically with Firefox, although I'm afraid I don't know for sure what it would have been, since it is now working after turning the SOCKS Proxy back on again. If it happens again, this knowledgebase article will be the best place to start in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Does the 1Password Add-On/Extension communicate with the 'mini app' ever time it is invoked/clicked on?

Yes, clicking on the 1Password browser extension always connects with 1Password mini. The extension itself doesn't store any of your 1Password data - in fact, the extension is basically just a way for 1Password mini to interact with the browser, and what you see when you click the extension is really 1Password mini. The extension and mini communicate through a WebSocket connection. You can find a bit more information about that here.

This discussion has been closed.