I cannot sync with my iPhone and PC via Wi-Fi, keeps prompting an error

pinkyquilt
pinkyquilt
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

i have not been able to sync my iphone 5s with my pc using wifi. would rather not use drop box . I am using 1password for windows. ver 4.5. Iphone 5s. I see my computer on my phone when trying to sync -but then just get an error message and pressing 'sync' and waiting a minute or so.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

i've tried disabling my malware/virus stuff; restarted computer, restarted phone. reinstalled 1password on my iphone - still no luck

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pinkyquilt: Sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi (as I'm sure you know), but we can take this step by step. First, make sure that you have any firewall, proxy, and/or security software set up properly:

Configure Windows firewall or proxy server

Next, if it's still not working, we can take the network itself out of the equation and try syncing that way:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

And finally, you may need to check every point in the network chain, in case something is malfunctioning or misconfigured:

1. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    2. Restart OS (both devices)
    3. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    4. Hard-reset router
    5. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    6. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    7. Disable software firewall
    8. Disable security software
    9. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

This, of course, is why syncing with Dropbox is such a popular choice. After all, Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

That said, you certainly don't have to use Dropbox, but ultimately 1Password depends on the network configuration in order to use Wi-Fi Sync. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

oh my gosh - wow. ok. i will try all these things or just re-think using drop box. thank you sooo much for writing this all out.

• @pinkyquilt - on behalf of @Brenty - you are very welcome. I would suggest trying the simpler steps first before the more complex steps -

1. Check that both Mac and phone are connected to the same wireless network -
      • On your iPhone, go to Settings - what name do you see to the right of WiFi ?
      • On your Mac, click on WiFi icon at top right of menu bar, what network name is checked?
    2. Turn WiFi OFF and then ON again on both phone and desktop.
    3. Reset router by disconnecting from power for a few seconds (this will disconnect everyone from the wireless network!)
  • pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

thanks LauraR. I've tried your suggestions already and that didn't help. I appreciate the help, though. thanks!

• @pinkyquilt - I'm sorry that didn't help. I'm hoping you are going to give Dropbox a try as it is a really simple and effective way to sync your 1Password data.

• pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

ok - so now that I've decided to use dropbox i can't get that to work/sync. it get an error message "no.agilekeychain or ....." found. maybe i need to re-think 1password. lol

• pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

1password is not recognizing i have dropbox downloaded on my computer. when i select "move do dropbox" a message comes back saying...you do not appear to have dropbox installed. would you like to download and install now"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pinkyquilt: Go ahead and install Dropbox when prompted, as it may be that the copy you already have installed is damaged or simply out of date.

As far as 1Password, all you need to do is put your vault (1Password.agilekeychain) in your Dropbox folder and open it with 1Password (File > Open Vault — just so it knows where it is). That's it!

But if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• pinkyquilt
    pinkyquilt
    Community Member

winner winner chicken dinner. you guys are awesome. Thanks Brenty - i did the above and kaboom. it all works now. thanks soooo much for staying with me and helping me get this working. appreciate it!

• @pinkyquilt - love that you're so happy :) and on behalf of @brenty, you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.