Add an option to sync 1Password for Windows with iCloud [Limited by Apple, can only use Mac/iOS atm]

Options
mhoslar
mhoslar
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I prefer to use only Apple devices, but my work issued laptop is Windows based so the only reason that I have Dropbox on any of my devices is to sync 1Password when I'd prefer to just iCloud - please make this happen!

It seems wasteful to load Dropbox just to sync my 1Password accounts across devices when I already have iCloud loaded everywhere!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You need to go complain to Apple then. 1Password for Windows can't sync from iCloudKit because Apple don't support iCloudKit on Windows. 1Password for Mac can't sync using iCloud Drive (which is available on Windows) because it's flakey and iirc, is no longer available on the latest OSX.

Basically you need to convince Apple that being forced to use non-Apple systems does not make you a heretical sinner. Good luck with that one. :tongue:

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mhoslar,

As RichardPayne mentioned Apple has not yet brought the ability to sync with CloudKit (which is the API 1Password uses) to Windows -- or any non-Apple environment. That may change in the future, and we'd certainly evaluate at that time if it does, but at present time there is no way for us to sync with CloudKit on Windows.

We do appreciate the feedback however, and will keep our eyes and ears open for further updates from Apple in this area.

Thanks!

Ben

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@RichardPayne,

1Password for Mac can't sync using iCloud Drive (which is available on Windows) because it's flakey and iirc, is no longer available on the latest OSX.

Just to clarify, iCloud Drive is available on OS X. iCloud Drive is in fact based on top of CloudKit but it is a separate service that's tailored for specific needs. Some users can use 1Password for Mac's Folder Sync to put their sync file into iCloud Drive and sync it to Windows via iCloud Drive. It's been improved since then to be stable. However, it's flakey only on the iOS platform because there's no easy way to directly access the iCloud Drive to sync the file, the apps are sandboxed against that.

So, if you only have Macs and Windows PCs with no mobile devices, iCloud Drive can be used but the Mac app must use Folder Sync instead.

1Password on OS X and iOS uses the CloudKit APIs to store its specific database schema on CloudKit servers linked against the user's iCloud private database, this API makes it very reliable and easy to sync within the app itself. This database can only be accessed via CloudKit APIs, which is at the moment is limited to Apple's Mac App Store and iOS App Store apps. Apple appears to be opening it up later this year or next year with CloudKit Web Services, which is an interesting development that does not limit it to any platform, it's via the web.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification @MikeT.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.