Sharing 1Password data with another user (my wife) on our Mac

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I have been using 1Password 3.8 for a while now on my iMac (Snow Leopard). I recently got a new iMac (running OS X Yosemite), so I got 1Password 4. With version 3.8, I used Dropbox to store the 1Password data. I then shared this folder with my wife (on the same computer, different user). We can both use 1Password (in our browsers). But now that I have version 4, things are not working. I see that there is a new file in Dropbox (1Password-4.3.1.safeiriextz). It has a new date on it. I tried to share that file with my wife in drop box. Not sure it shared correctly. Anyway, when I click on the 1Password icon (I copied to my Applications folder) it brings up 1Password. When my wife clicks on it, it brings up a web page and askes to download an application. I already have the application. Can someone please help?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajahn,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble setting up 1Password on your new Mac! There might be some confusion about a few things, and I'm sure I can help to clear that up and get everything working correctly:

I recently got a new iMac (running OS X Yosemite), so I got 1Password 4.

If your new Mac is running Yosemite, you should install 1Password 5 instead of 1Password 4. You can download 1Password 5 for Mac from our download site.

With version 3.8, I used Dropbox to store the 1Password data.

If you've been syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox, you can sync that to 1Password 5 by following the steps here: Using existing 1Password data on a new computer

I then shared this folder with my wife (on the same computer, different user). We can both use 1Password (in our browsers).

It sounds like you're referring to 1PasswordAnywhere, or that you've been using the 1Password browser extension. 1Password 3 used a different browser extension than 1Password 4 or 5, so you'll need to make sure you install the newer extension in your browser, which leads us to this:

But now that I have version 4, things are not working. I see that there is a new file in Dropbox (1Password-4.3.1.safeiriextz).

1Password-4.3.1.safariextz is the name of the 1Password extension for Safari. That extension doesn't contain your 1Password data, and it won't work without the full 1Password app. To avoid confusion, you can actually delete the 1Password-4.3.1.safariextz file. Once you've installed 1Password 5 on your new Mac and sync your data from Dropbox, you can install the 1Password browser extension by following the steps here: Installing browser extensions

It has a new date on it. I tried to share that file with my wife in drop box. Not sure it shared correctly.

You don't need to share the 1Password browser extension with your wife. She'll be able to download/install it in Safari on her own Mac user account once she gets 1Password 5 set up.

If you want to share your 1Password vault with your wife via Dropbox, you can do that by following the steps in this knowledgebase article.

Anyway, when I click on the 1Password icon (I copied to my Applications folder) it brings up 1Password. When my wife clicks on it, it brings up a web page and askes to download an application. I already have the application.

Hopefully that problem is solved by following the rest of my steps above. When you download 1Password 5 on your new Mac, you'll want to keep that app (named 1Password 5.app) in the Applications folder. When your wife signs into her Mac user account on that same Mac, she'll also have access to that app, and will be able to set it up with her 1Password data (or with the data you share via Dropbox).

This might all be a lot of information to take in at once, but don't worry! Just take it one step at a time, and if you run into any problems or questions along the way, let us know and we'll be happy to help. :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this detailed response. Let me give you a little more info. I have 1Password 4 on my macbook (running Mavericks). My wife is still using 1Password 3 on our iMac (on her account). Using the Chrome plugin). I am successfully using 1Password 4 on that same iMac (in my account). And, I have 1Password v1.0.9 on my Windows 7 PC at work. All use the same data in Dropbox. Wonderful.

If I upgrade to 1Password 5 on my iMac, is there a cost involved? Also, how does the 1Password licensing work these days? Can I use the same copy on more than on computer at home? (My iMac and macbook)? Or do I need to purchase 2 licenses? I assume that on the same machine (multiple accounts) we can all use the same version (my wife and I)?

Thanks
    Alfredo

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajahn,

I found your license information by searching for the email address associated with your forum account, and I see you purchased a 1Password 5 for Mac license earlier this year, so you already have that. 1Password 4 and 5 actually use the same license file for activation, so your license is really for both. The version you use just depends on the Mac OS X version - 1Password 4 for Mac requires OS X 10.8 or 10.9, and 1Password 5 for Mac requires OS X 10.10. You can download the version you need from our download site (older versions are at the bottom).

Licenses from the AgileBits Store can be shared by up to 6 family members living in the same household. Therefore your license for 1Password for Mac allows you and your wife to each install 1Password on all of your Macs. We have more information about how license work in this knowledgebase article.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you have more! :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

That's great news. How do I find my license? If I recall, when I purchased it for my macbook, I didn't actually get a key, just a link and file (if I recall). Please advise.

Thanks

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Found it!
    Thanks

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

One more question. When I installed the Chrome plug in, it shows up as 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.3.1.90. Shouldn't it be version 5?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajahn,

Glad to hear you were able to find your license file so quickly!

To answer your question, 4.3.1 is the latest version of the 1Password browser extension. The extension is separate from (but works together with) the 1Password for Mac app, which is currently on version 5.

It sounds like you're up to date, and your Chrome extension should work perfectly with 1Password 5 for Mac (the app). Do let us know if you run into any trouble with it, though, and we'll be happy to help! :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

When I switch over to my wife's account (same mac), and I click on the 1Password 5 application (the one I installed in the main Applications folder), I see and error dialog that says:

The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.

Instead of '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '/Applications/1Password 4.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems’.

How do I correct this? I did disable the old 1Password extension in her Chrome browser before that.

Thanks

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @ajahn,

It sounds like 1Password 4 for Mac is still installed. Go ahead and move 1Password 4.app from the Applications folder to the Trash. 1Password works best when there's only one version of the app installed. Your data is stored elsewhere on the computer, so manually deleting the app won't delete your secure data.

I look forward to hearing if that solves the problem for you. Thanks!

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Vee. That did the trick! I know have 1Password 5 working for both myself and wife, using the same data on Dropbox. We both have the Chrome extension working as well.

Thanks for your help

Alfredo

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Splendid, Alfredo! Happy to hear it. From Drew and myself, you're welcome! Hope you have a nice weekend. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.