1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 8.3
Sync Type: Personal cloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Dcsspec,

1Password can sync with iCloud and Dropbox. We do not currently have support for other cloud sync solutions. That is something our developers are constantly evaluating and may change in the future.

Thanks!

Ben

• Dcsspec
    Dcsspec
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick response. Would really like to see sync solution for a personal cloud. Thinking of purchasing 1password pro but would like to be able to sync with personal cloud.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dcsspec,

Thanks for your feedback about that! To give you a bit more information, syncing 1Password with other cloud sync solutions is possible on Mac or Windows, and that's because those versions of 1Password can simply write data to a local folder on the computer, and the cloud sync service takes care of the rest. This doesn't require us to make any changes to 1Password for Mac or Windows in order to work with those sync services.

But on iOS, because of sandboxing restrictions, it doesn't work the same way. We would have to program the 1Password app to support the API of each individual cloud sync service. That's a lot more difficult than it might sound! There are a lot of things to consider, and plenty of work involved.

Our developers have certainly been exploring options for other sync solutions, so hopefully we'll have more options for you in the future.

• Tom_English
    Tom_English
    Community Member
    Options

I also want to be able to sync with my Synology NAS box. Naturally, the ability to do this would leave Apple iCloud out in the cold, and therefore, any desire to make this work for 1Password's customers would be in conflict with Apple, from my understanding of Apple's app policies.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Tom_English,

While we certainly have a great deal of respect for Apple their opinion would not prevent us from implementing a sync service.

Part of the difficulty is the development and testing time required compaired to the demand for such a feature. It certainly isn't off the table, but I wouldn't expect to see it in the near future.

Ben

• Theophan
    Theophan
    Community Member
    Options

After Safe Harbour declared invalid it appears to be illegal for european residents to submit personal data to the US. So iCloud and Dropbox won't work for me and I'd really like to have another option for syncing.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Theophan

Is this a recent development?

US-EU Safe Harbor Certification | Dropbox Blog

I'm not aware of any ruling or law that would outright prohibit Europeans from using either iCloud or Dropbox. We have a number of folks from Europe working for AgileBits and they use iCloud and Dropbox regularly.

At the moment we do not have any plans to implement any additional sync methods or services. That isn't to say that we might not consider something else in the future, but right now our focus is on 1Password for Teams.

Thanks!

Ben

• Theophan
    Theophan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    The implications are not yet all clear, but searching the web should yield some results like
    http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2015-10/cp150117en.pdf
    or
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/european-court-of-justice-safe-harbor-ruling-2015-10?IR=T
    The experts still discuss how to proceed, but end of january is deadline and we need to figure out what to do after that.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the links. As you alluded, even from reading the articles, it is not clear what the outcome of this will be. Food for thought, but even if the worst case is the outcome there is no way we would have another sync method implemented before February 1. No possibility.

For what it is worth, it may be possible to work around this using a combination of WiFi and Folder Sync. It would potentially require a 3rd party tool that can sync data between computers, but would allow you to sync independant of any 3rd party service.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.