iOS 8.4 upgrade and password rejection

Options
organrambo
organrambo
Community Member

I just updated the iOS to 8.4 and now I can't open 1Password on my iPhone. I know I'm inputting the correct password but it won't open. Help!!

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.4
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @organrambo,

Thanks for taking the time to write in regarding this difficulty. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with your Master Password not being accepted. Please review this article that we have prepared on the subject:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/ios.html

Thanks!

Ben

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone. Even though the password works on my laptop, the phone app won’t accept it. This was not a problem before I updated to iOS 8.4 I suggest you investigate this more carefully.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @organrambo,

I'd like to try reproducing this issue. Just to confirm, you are syncing via WiFi, correct? And which version of 1Password for Mac or Windows do you have installed?

Thanks.

Ben

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

5.4.BETA20. I don't see an option to SYNC via iCloud in 1Password for Mac. I looked and it's not there so I use WIFI

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The beta version of 1P that you are using is the version from the AgileBits store (as opposed to the version from the Mac App Store), which is why iCloud does not appear as a sync option. See this knowledge base article:

I do not see the option to sync with iCloud in 1Password for Mac

I am using exactly the same setup as you (1P 5.4.BETA-20, 1P for iOS 5.4.3 on iOS 8.4, wifi sync) and it works perfectly for me—so there's no inherent problem but, rather, something related to your own system. My master password is accepted on both Mac and iDevices.

Have you recently changed your master password? Has your 1P data from your Mac actually sync'd to your iPhone? (I'm a little unclear whether you have a problem with wifi sync actually working.)

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @organrambo,

When you deleted the 1Password app from your iPhone, that would have also deleted your 1Password data from the iPhone. When you reinstalled 1Password on the iPhone, what steps did you take to set it up? And at what exact point during the setup did you run into a problem? Is that when you tried to use iCloud sync, or did you try Wi-Fi sync again? The more details you can give us about what steps you took on your end and what happened when you did that, the better.

Also, did you try going through the suggestions in the link Ben sent you: https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/ios.html

As Stephen explained, you won't be able to use iCloud sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, but if you're having trouble with Wi-Fi sync, you might want to try Dropbox sync to see if that helps.

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

I installed the app again. I tried to sync it with the vault on my laptop. I typed in the secret code given on my laptop. I entered my laptop password and it was rejected, even though it works on the laptop. Anything else you need?

• Hi @organrambo ,

Do you have any accented or emoji characters in your password? We generally don't recommend them as they are not always interpreted the same way on different platforms, or even on the same platform from one OS version to the next, especially with emoji characters, as it is still evolving.

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

my password is comprised of normal alphabetical and numeric characters.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @organrambo,

I'm sorry to ask about this again, but as you haven't confirmed it one way or the other, can you please let us know if you've tried the suggestions here: https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/ios.html

Thanks in advance!

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

i tried everything that was recommended. why would I continue to post here if your suggestions has worked???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @organrambo ,

I'm sorry that this process has been a bit frustrating for you! Please understand that we need to confirm that you have indeed tried all of the basic troubleshooting steps before diving into the more in-depth investigations. (There's no use searching for zebras before you've ruled out all the horses ... to misuse an old adage.)

I see that Stephen asked above if you have recently changed your Master Password, but I don't see an answer. If you have recently changed your Master Password, please try entering the previous Master Password when prompted. Unlocking with the previous Master Password will allow 1Password to update the encryption keys in your datafile. Once this is done, you will be able to unlock using your new Master Password.

• organrambo
    organrambo
    Community Member
    Options

My master password is the same. Should I change it on the laptop and try again?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @organrambo,

Yes, I think it's worth trying that to see if it helps. If you're still stuck in the setup of 1Password on your iPhone, you can try it again after changing the master password on your Mac. On the other hand, if you've created an empty vault in 1Password on your iPhone, please delete and reinstall the 1Password app on your iPhone again before trying that.

When changing your master password on your Mac, please make sure use only characters from the US ASCII character set.

Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.