1Password Mini + Chrome Extension keep defaulting to old version on restart

Options
mzu
mzu
Community Member

Been having some very frustrating issues when I restart my Mac...1password mini app and the Chrome extension default to a very old version with a completely different master password. Once I enter the password it crashes and the new version loads. Been going on since v5 came out.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mzu,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password mini! That sounds really strange, although I have some ideas about what might be happening.

1password mini app and the Chrome extension default to a very old version with a completely different master password.

When you say it's a "very old version" do you mean the extension in Chrome looks very different than usual? If so, it sounds like it could be the version 3 extension, which worked and looked very different from the version 4 extension. In Chrome, please go to Window > Extensions. In the list of extensions, do you see more than one extension for 1Password? If so, what is the version number of each one? If you have the version 3 extension in there, you can delete (or at least disable) it.

If you only find version 4 of the extension in Chrome, do you happen to have other profiles/people set up in Chrome? In that case, check the extensions for each of those to see if an old version of the 1Password extension is there.

Let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• mzu
    mzu
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, just one 1pass extension (v 4.3.1.90) in Chrome. And yes it is very different, here is a screen: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAt5ybw5QSlAhrKZyxPh0JimQUoViLUAM-A

• mzu
    mzu
    Community Member
    Options

And this only happens on a shutdown/restart of my laptop. So something old is restarting when the OS boots back up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the screenshot, @mzu! It's very helpful. That's definitely not version 3 of the extension. In fact, it looks like the version 4 extension, but a few elements don't seem to be using the updated UI for Yosemite (specifically, the Search field). Are you noticing other major differences between that and the way it looks after it reloads? Would you be able to take a screenshot of the way it looks once it's working, as long as that wouldn't show any of your personal data?

Also, how do you invoke the extension / 1Password mini? Do you click the extension icon in Chrome's toolbar, or click the 1Password mini icon in the Mac's menu bar, or use the ⌘\ or ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

• mzu
    mzu
    Community Member
    Options

I have the 1Pass mini running in the Mac menu bar but I click the 1Pass circle icon to access my passwords in Chrome.

When the old version pops up, its completely different, master password is different, saved items are different...its like its accessing an old saved 1Pass file.

Screen of 1Pass button on Chrome: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAsSqfR1lPpG-Zh2pY6hNd3t2mzS5VgxBt4

Screen of 1Pass extension open on Chrome: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAvHMNAPpAxN-L1eqEEwbVQr1JT3qJOHeWI

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mzu,

Thanks for those screenshots. At this point, I think a Diagnostics Report would really help us get to the bottom of this. It will point out any extraneous 1Password data or files lingering on your machine (without showing us any of your actual passwords or secure data). Here's how to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Please attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can refer to this discussion and you won't have to repeat yourself.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report, we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• hooky
    hooky
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same behaviour.

I've been using 1Password since version 3, and ever since the introduction of 1Password Mini, I am getting conflicts.

I've upgraded to the latest 1Password 5
    Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    Agile Web Store

1Password Mini extensions do not work on any of my browsers since. I install the extension (In Chrome the one that gets installed is version 4.4.2.90), however, when I click on 1Password Mini, it prompts me to yet again install the plugin.

This is very frustrating!!

I am running OSX 10.10.x and same issues are being experienced across multiple machines.

Help!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @hooky,

If you're experiencing this across more than one machine an browser it would seem likely that a piece of software you've installed over all of your machines may be interfering and a third party firewall or anti-virus software for example could be the cause as could a proxy or VPN. We have page titled Configuring a firewall or proxy on your Mac which might help. Do you have such software?

ref: YKQ-45125-211

• hooky
    hooky
    Community Member
    Options

@liitlebobbytables was on the money.

I was using a proxy and did not have an exclusion for 127.0.0.1. Looks like this was interfering with the web socket used by 1Password.

As soon as I added this to my proxy exceptions list it all worked!!

Thanks for the help!!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @hooky, on behalf of "on the money" @liitlebobbytables. :)

Thanks for the follow-up here to let us know how you fixed the problem!

This discussion has been closed.