1Password extension won't show up when trying to open it in the browsers

Options
carolk123
carolk123
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

1Password won't open in Windows 8, after using it several times in browsers, and also having the app open. The only thing that seems to work is ctl-alt-delete, cancel the 1password process (the one with the logo, not the "unlocked" one that i guess is the browser?), and then it opens when i select "open 1password" from browser. BUT if i do some stuff in the browser (eg save a new login for example) - the app won't open AGAIN. i'm trying to keep the 1password window on top so it doesn't disappear, but it just seems so weird that it can be open, but under a window, but just can't be accessed.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @carolk123,

I'm not able to reproduce this on Windows 8.1 with the same 1Password version.

The main program itself does not affect how extension work in browsers, the extension runs in its own process.

How are you opening 1Password in your browser, by pressing Control + \ or by clicking on 1Password icon?

When you try to open the 1Password extension, are you saying it shows up behind the browser window instead of it being on top?

Do you have an application on your PC that manages the movement of your windows?

• carolk123
    carolk123
    Community Member
    Options

HI MikeT - i'm using Mozilla Firefox, & I open 1Password in Mozilla by clicking on the 1Password icon, & all is fine ... the problem is when i try to open the 1Password program in Windows 8 (to add more info, comments, etc) - it opens the first time i click on the icon ... but sometimes if i have closed or minimized the 1Password window, i just can't access (or find?) it. I can't reproduce it right now, i've been careful to leave the 1Password window open on my 2nd screen, but when i close 1Password, it i can't get it back. right now i've closed it & opened it several times, so i'm glad it's working, but i'll try to figure out what else i'm doing to cause it to "disappear".

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @carolk123,

Just a feeling, could it be related to this setting: Minimize 1Password on Copy to Clipboard in the 1Password's preferences? If you try to copy something, 1Password will then minimize itself to your system tray (notification tray) and you have to open 1Password from there.

Try to click on the 1Password icon in the system tray to see if it'd open or right-click on it to select Open 1Password.

Once you get the main program opened, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Security and uncheck the option to minimize 1Password on Copy to Clipboard.

Does this make it better for you?

• carolk123
    carolk123
    Community Member
    Options

hi MikeT again - thanks for following this - minimize 1Password on Copy to Clipboard is unchecked; 1Password seems to be working fine, whether i activate it from the system tray or opening the program ... i'll add to this thread if i figure out what the combination of events are that make it go away.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @carolk123,

Please do, we'd like to know. Maybe see if it happens more often after waking up the computer, that sometime does weird things.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carolk123 The 1Password window could be hidden underneath another window. Next time this happens to you, please press Alt+Tab. This should then bring the 1Password window to the foreground. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.