Latest beta doesn't launch on iOS 9b2

foad
foad
Community Member

Hi folks.

I'm having some weird issues with 1P on the iOS 9 beta. On my iPad Air 2, it loads fairly quickly. There is a weird issue WRT that, and I'll start a different thread. On my 6+, it almost never loads and crashes back to the homescreen. If it does eventually load, it takes at least a minute to load.

I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling. I tried installing the App Store version. I tried upgrading the App Store version. None of those worked.

Is anyone seeing this?

1Password Version: 5.5 (505015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9b2 iPhone
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @foad,

Thanks for letting us know you're having this issue. It sounds similar to what @jxchain reported here with version 5.4.3:

1Password does NOT work on iOS 9 beta 2

In that case 1Password is never fully loading, leaving it unusable. @cjbulow did mention, with an earlier 1Password beta (no devices specified):

1PW v505012 is running fine here in iOS 9, beta 2

Then there's your own iPad Air 2 experience, adding to the variants of 1Password behaviour on the iOS 9 beta.

There's still uncertainty over which bugs will be fixed while iOS 9 development progresses and the changes we'll need to make changes in 1Password to accommodate the iOS 9 changes. I've passed along your report to our developers; thanks again!

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Sorry about that omission; just to clarify, the 1PW 505015 beta is running OK still on the iPhone 6+ (64Gb) here.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

Hey @sjk.

I totally understand about the issues that come up and against dev builds. Just wanted to provide some insight on my end. I'll keep an eye during the iOS betas. They'll probably sort themselves out.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @foad,

We do appreciate it. We'll keep an eye out on iPhone 6+, it is strange it is crashing on your device only but not on other iPhones.

You might want to look at the crash reports and report it to Apple if you can. It is possible it is something specific to your setup.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member

@foad Is your 6+ by chance unlocked?

I have this same problem on iOS 9 beta 2. It goes away if I disable passcode and touch ID. But then 1Password is painful to use (have to enter master password constantly).

Curious if an unlocked device might be the problem. I have many other issues a friend with a 6+ does not.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member

iOS 9 Beta 3 looks to have resolved all issues I was having.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

@zemackdaddy Your tip about turning off all security options did the trick. I did that and then set up 1P. I re-enabled all security within iOS and 1P and everything seems to be working much better. Maybe something got corrupted. All seems well now. Thanks for the tip.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

Well, I spoke too soon. I think it might be an issue with the extension. Loading up 1P seems to work now but as soon as I call up the extension in Safari, things get wonky again. I will try a couple other things. Maybe it is Safari related.

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member

My findings were the same as yours, so I just quite using the extension.

However, iOS 9 beta 3, seems to resolve these issues so far for me.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

Yeah. It seems as though something is getting messed up after first launching the extension. If I don't use the extension at all, it works fine. If I disable TouchID it seems to work but like you mentioned, having to type in the Master Password constantly is tedious.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

After @zemackdaddy mentioned his tip, it gave me something to work with. I am not sure if this is an Apple bug or a 1P bug but it is definitely reproducible consistently now.

This happens on both my 6+ and Air 2 running 9.0b3 with completely clean installs, including removing all 1P traces on iCloud. If the device passcode is enabled and you tap the 1P extension in Safari, it will crash. Afterwards, the 1P app won't launch. It will crash or hang every single time. If I never try using the extension in Safari, it seems as though it will work correctly initially. If I disable the iOS passcode, 1P will immediately load correctly. I have quite a few apps at this point that support Touch ID and Safari extensions and none exhibit this behavior. This also happens with the App Store release version. I am filing a radar with Apple to see if it is something that is on their end but I thought I would post here just in case the awesome Agilebits crew needs anything from me to help figure things out.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

Here is a quick followup. I was wrong. The 6+ is working properly but no luck with the Air 2. It is solely related to the device passcode being enabled. The extension has no impact on it. The extension having issues loading is just a bi-product of 1P not being able to load in the background. If the passcode is enabled, 1P will crash every single time. If I attempt to load Settings.app, that will also crash. If I quit 1P through the task switcher, Settings.app will load properly. This might still be an iOS issue, but seeing as it is actually working on my 6+ leads me to believe it might be 1P.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @foad,

Thanks so much for keeping an eye on this issue for us! Our development team is working on ensuring that 1Password 5 for iOS works smoothly in the new environment of iOS 9, and there are still a few things that need a bit of polish. I've shared this thread with them and we will investigate.

Please let us know if anything changes with the next iOS beta. :)

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

No problem @Megan. Apple is looking into it as well. If you folks would like the crash logs, please let me know and I will send them your way.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Thank you, @foad. If you'd like to send a crash log or three that would be okay, and it's also fine to postpone it for now. We appreciate your offer to further assist with beta testing and what you've already done so far!

This discussion has been closed.