IOS 8.4 - 1P keeps asking for master password

MagicalUnicorn
MagicalUnicorn
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS

Hi there,

I just installed IOS 8.4 yesterday and throughout the day I've recognised that '1Password Pro' keeps asking me for my master password although it's permenantly set to use my pin code. I just thought I'd mention it unless anyone else was having a similar problem since updating. I'm running '1Password Pro' on an iPhone 4S (old Skool) he he :)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ElectricWombat ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password. I can't say that I've noticed a change in 1Password's behaviour since the update to iOS 8.4... So let's see if we can figure out why things are a little bit tangled up for you.

First of all, it's important to note that, even with the PIN code enabled, you will need to re-enter your Master Password after a device reboot. After that, 1Password should respect the lock settings in the Security pane. (I'm assuming you've checked this to make sure that they are as you remember them.

Are you noticing this behaviour in the 1Password app or in the 1Password app extension?

I'd also like it if you could confirm your version number for me. You can find the version on the Settings screen, just below the 'Recommend 1Password' option.

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hey @Megan, thanks for your reply, I would have responded quicker but I hadn't realised my notifications weren't enabled! The version number is 5.4.3 and the problem was definitely with 1P extension (sorry I forgot to clarify that in my initial post).

Thanks for the mention of checking my settings, yes I looked at this straight away because I wondered if the last update had reset them etc; but it was still set to use pin entry as normal.

After the update to IOS 8.4 the issue continued throughout the day (initially) everytime I logged into a site and continued asking for my master password (even if I'd only just logged in moments earlier).

That said; it seems to be behaving more now so I wonder if was an initial glitch after the update? I will stress test it tonight and tomorrow by logging into lots of different sites and see how it performs and report back soon.

Thanks for your reply anyway, very much appreciated! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ElectricWombat,

Thanks for the additional info! I think I know what's happening here, and shouldn't have anything specifically to do with the iOS 8.4 update, other than the fact that installing the update restarts the device. To go into a bit more detail:

In order to use a PIN Code instead of your master password, 1Password stores your master password in the iOS keychain. Restarting the device removes your master password from the iOS keychain, so after the restart, you'll be asked to enter your master password the first time you open the main 1Password app. Doing that will re-add your master password to the iOS keychain, and the PIN Code will be reactivated.

Now, you'll notice I referred to doing that in the "main 1Password app". It works differently with the 1Password extension in Safari. If you restart your device and try to use the 1Password extension before unlocking the main app with your master password, the extension will keep asking for your master password because the PIN Code feature has not yet been re-activated. That's why it started working again after you checked the PIN Code setting in 1Password - because unlocking the main 1Password app with your master password re-activated the PIN Code.

I hope my explanation helps to explain that! It should continue working as expected for you now, but if for some reason the extension starts asking you for the master password when it shouldn't, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :sunglasses:

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hi @Drew_AG,

Agh... That makes complete sense doh! :blush: Thanks for your explanation, it will have definitely been like you said as I had an online shopping day and had to create new accounts (which averted going into the App and using existing logins etc) so I was just purely using the extension.

Well it's good that I understand that now for future reference at least; I just wish I could have worked it out to prevent creating an unnecessary thread lol - but it's all good!

Thanks for your help and support @Drew_AG and @Megan which is very much appreciated (as always) and you have an awesome weekend too! :chuffed:

Best wishes,

ElectricWombat

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ElectricWombat,

I believe we're evaluating our current behaviour because there are some that wonder if the current approach is the the best one. The issues come down to optimal security so something we won't take lightly but personally I'd be happy if unlocking the iOS Extension unlocked the main app as that's how it behaves on the Mac too. I think that's where most of this camp comes from, we're expecting iOS to behave in a similar way to the Mac where unlocking 1Password mini does properly unlock your vault.

So don't be surprised if somewhere down the line you discover we've changed this behaviour. As always it's the fine line between was is safe and what is user friendly and sometimes we have to work at finding that :smile:

Have a great weekend too!

• MagicalUnicorn
    MagicalUnicorn
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your reply and for the insight into the contrast between the functionality on the Mac and IOS; I didn't realise they both worked differently to each other!

I can appreciate that security is the first and foremost when considering the best approach to functionality. I'll be sure to keep my eye on future update details in case this changes!

Many thanks and you have an awesome weekend too! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad that helped. Enjoy your weekend! We're here for you if you have any other questions! :)

• oceantracks
    oceantracks
    Community Member

I am having a huge problem while auditioning the iPhone version of 1Password, which I use on Mac.

It KEEPS asking me for the master password and this is unbelievably irritating. In the time it takes to keep re entering it, I could just type in the password for the site I'm trying to get in. I have AUTO LOCK OFF, and password set to reset in one hour. Still, every where I go in Safari on iPhone, it wants the Master Password. Any help appreciated.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oceantracks,

Thanks for all of the information! I have one more question: do you have 1Password set to unlock with Touch ID or a PIN, or are you using only your Master Password?

• oceantracks
    oceantracks
    Community Member

just Master Password.

• Thanks, @oceantracks. And do you have Touch ID or a PIN set up for the device itself?

1Password can only store the Master Password in the iOS keychain (which is what is required to not have to unlock each time) if the device itself is protected. You may also want to consider setting up Touch ID/PIN access to 1Password (again, requires the device itself be protected): https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/touch-id.html

Please let us know.

Ben

• oceantracks
    oceantracks
    Community Member

At this point I'm so confused I'm about to give up.

Yes my iPhone has BOTH Touch ID and a pin number active and working.
    I read where you needed to open 1Password (the app itself) first and enter your master password, then you could go to Safari and enter sites with no problem, but even when I do that, I am still constantly nagged to enter the MP....

• I'm sorry for the continued trouble, @oceantracks. Please try this for me:

1. In the Settings app for iOS toggle Touch ID off, and then toggle it back on
    2. Reboot your device
    3. Launch 1Password, and unlock it using the Master Password
    4. In 1Password > Settings > Security toggle Touch ID off, and then toggle it back on
    5. Press the home button to return to the home screen
    6. Launch 1Password again, and see if you are prompted to unlock with Touch ID

Please let me know how that turns out.

Thanks!

Ben

• oceantracks
    oceantracks
    Community Member

Ben, in the Settings area there is Touch ID &Passcode, and once there, there is "Turn Passcode Off" but I cannot see a "Turn Touch ID Off" command. Maybe it's late and I'm being thick here...??

• Sorry, I should have been more explicit. The setting to toggle off then back on is iPhone Unlock under the "Use Touch ID for" heading on that page.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.