Feature alignment with Mac version and license

Hello

I've been using 1Password on the Mac for almost two years and now I'm also using Windows a lot so I installed 1Password as one of my essential apps. I have some questions:

1. Will tags be added as in the Mac version (this metadata can't be viewed or updated on the Windows version - any logins created in Windows will have to be edited on the Mac version to add tags)?
  2. Layout - will there be options to change the layout to the Mac layout, the Windows layout is awful?
  3. Can I pay the difference to upgrade my Mac license to a Mac and Windows license (it's a shame you don't have a licensing scheme similar to IntelliJ)?

Thanks for a great product.

Comments

• Logic Bus
    Logic Bus
    Community Member
    I agree about the layout. 1Password on Mac is a beautiful application. 1Password on Windows looks like something out of a freshman Visual Basic class. Not only is it ugly, it's so much different!

1Password Anywhere looks almost identical to the native 1Password app for Mac. The 1Password app for Windows resembles neither.

Yes, in general Mac apps are more aesthetically pleasing than Windows apps. But the two UI should be unified -- if not completely, then significantly more than they are now.

Is 1Password for Mac's UI built on top of Safari? Valve's Steam client appears to package its own copy of Webkit. Maybe 1Password could do something similar.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for your comments, folks...well, except for the "ugly" part, maybe.

Here's the explanation, as provided in Why doesn't 1Password for Windows look like 1Password 3 on my Mac? in the FAQ section of the 1Password for Windows user's guide:

Work on 1Password for Windows was begun many months ago, when 1Password 3 was still in beta development, and the decision was made to base the design and features of 1Password for Windows on the product that was current at that time, 1Password 2. We’ve moved way beyond that in features, already, but the look and organization are still closely matched to 1Password 2.

Please be assured that we plan to introduce many of the features and much of the look of 1Password 3 in future releases of 1Password for Windows.

We’ve already begun that work with the recent addition of an Accounts vault in 1Password for Windows, in which your Account items originally were listed in the Wallet vault.

In other words, 1Password for Windows looks and acts very much like the previous version of 1Password for Mac, and the transition to the current version of 1Password for Mac took many months.

We appreciate your patience with 1Password for Windows.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Anthony T wrote:

3. Can I pay the difference to upgrade my Mac license to a Mac and Windows license (it's a shame you don't have a licensing scheme similar to IntelliJ)?

There isn't an "upgrade" path as such, Anthony; but if you contact us at support@agilewebsolutions.com and mention the e-mail address associated with your 1Password for Mac license, one of us will be happy to help.

I don't know anything about ItelliJ, but we think our licensing policy is pretty liberal. You can read about our Sane Licensing Model™ here and see some examples here.

Thank you for using 1Password, Anthony!
  • Anthony T
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

My first question about the ability to create, read, update and delete tags is my biggest concern as there isn't complete access to the 1Password data model when using the Windows version.

I agree the licensing is good and fits where a person is using one OS at multiple locations. I was lucky until recently to have OS X at home and at work, but I now additionally have two Windows desktops for work. JetBrains -> IntelliJ is an IDE you can install on multiple desktops and OS's so long as only one is in use at a time. I also understand this is a way of funding 1Password development on multiple platforms but the Windows version still feels so beta. I think I got the OS X version before the free beta even existed.

I'll see how I get on with the Windows version for the next month and then contact support if needed.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Anthony T wrote:

My first question about the ability to create, read, update and delete tags is my biggest concern as there isn't complete access to the 1Password data model when using the Windows version.

Tags haven't made it into the 1Password apps for mobile devices, either. In future releases, we hope to extend the best features of 1Password on each platform to 1Password on as many of the other platforms as possible. As you can imagine, that's a big task, especially for a small (though agile!) team.

Thanks again for your patience!
This discussion has been closed.