Can I be hacked? [vault and Master Password are needed for access]

Options
Murce
Murce
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS

I wanted to use this app but comfortable with all the hacking going around with Chinese and government agencies being hacked.
Here goes my question, what happens when your data base gets hacked?? How protected will the consumers be?

Comments

• Murce
    Murce
    Community Member
    Options

Just curious.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Your data is only stored on your own computer(s), unless you use Dropbox or iCloud sync.

Unlike some other password managers, AgileBits does not have any access to your data (which does mean that if you forget your master password, they cannot help you to regain access to your vault). They are not storing your data on their site.

In addition, even if your vault was stolen, the encryption is good enough that a hacker would still be unable to gain access without knowing the master password, password crackers are just too slow.

• ag_kevin
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @Murce .

danco has an excellent response, and the point to emphasize is that AgileBits does not have your master password or your data at any time so even if AgileBits was hacked, your data or password is not there to be taken. And even if you were to sync to Dropbox or iCloud, and a hacker managed to get your vault file, they still would not have your master password required to decrypt your vault since it is never transmitted to Dropbox or iCloud.

To read more about the strength of 1Password's data and the security measures we take, go here: https://support.1password.com/security/

Feel free to reply if you have further questions.

• Murce
    Murce
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time. Be sure to reach out if you need anything else. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.