Problems with login filling and auto-submit [1Click bookmarks are working again with Safari 9]

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
edited October 2015 in 1Password in the Browser
This discussion was created from comments split from: Incompatible with OS X 10.10.4?.

Comments

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

I too am having a number of auto login problems. A number OS web pages don't load, auto submit does not always work and some web sites just will not fill in user name and password. I have all my "favorites" in Safari loaded with 1P web site favicons drag from the list of logins.
    I have the same OS and 1P as you, drobinson48

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaBurner,

I'm sorry you're having trouble filling/submitting your logins with 1Password! It sounds like this is different than the problem described in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread in our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum. I hope you don't mind!

A number OS web pages don't load

Can you please elaborate on this? If websites aren't loading, that sounds like a problem with the sites, or perhaps the browser you're using the view them. But maybe I misunderstood what you meant? It will be helpful if you can give us some more specific details about that.

auto submit does not always work

Does that seem to happen for specific websites? If 1Password fills your username and password but doesn't automatically submit the login form on a site, please open the main 1Password app and find that Login item, then click the Edit button. Look for the setting for the "submit" field, and make sure it isn't set to "Never submit". If it is, change that to "Submit when enabled" or "Always submit" and click Save.

If that's set correctly but auto-submit still won't work for specific Login items, can you please let us know a couple URLs for sites where you're seeing this problem?

some web sites just will not fill in user name and password.

If certain Login items aren't working correctly, please follow these steps to save new Logins for those sites. Do the new Login items work correctly? If not, would you be able to let us know the URLs for some sites where it isn't working for you?

I have all my "favorites" in Safari loaded with 1P web site favicons drag from the list of logins.

It sounds like you're using "1Click Bookmarks" which allow you to bookmark your 1Password Login items directly within your web browser for quick Go & Fill. If so, what happens if you go to the regular URL for that site, click on the 1Password extension in Safari, and select the Login item?

Thanks!

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

First off, I am using the latest Safari 8.0.7 on a Mac Book Pro and yes I use the 1Click bookmarks feature.
    The problems I have had have been with several versions of 1P.
    For instance, 1Click bookmark for the Starbucks login web site will not work at all. After the fill in and submit, it takes me to a Starbucks page and I am not logged in. I use the saved username and password in Safari and manually click the sing in radio button.
    I use the 1Click Bookmark for Amazon and after the fill in, nothing. I click again on the 1Click Bookmark and then it fills in and submits.
    I have run permissions repair and I also use your 1P trouble shooting app to run , permissions, extended attributes and launch services.
    Awhile back I dumped all my 1Click Bookmarks and started over and made new ones and the same problems repeated

I will double click the web site icon in the main 1P window in logins and it opens two web pages and the last window will fill in and auto submit, but only some times.
    Your latest upgrade was supposed to resolve some of these issues that I was having and I read that others on your forum were experiencing the same problems.
    Always submit and Submit When Enabled are always selected where needed. I do not know what the difference is between the two options.maybe you can explain

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @DaBurner! It sounds like there are multiple issues happening here. For example, the 1Password extension doesn't currently work well with the Starbucks website, so it's not just you - this is a known issue. Our developers are looking into this, and although I don't have a timeframe for a solution, I'll add your comments to our internal tracker so our developers are aware you're also having this problem. For now, you'll need to copy & paste your login credentials from 1Password into the Starbucks.com site. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

ref: OPX-744

As for problems with other logins, that might not be a problem with 1Click Bookmarks, specifically. It could be that the actual Login items in 1Password aren't working correctly with those sites. So, instead of trying the 1Click Bookmarks to test that, please manually go to one of the sites (such as Amazon.com), make sure you are on the page with the login form, then click the 1Password extension icon in the browser and choose your Login item for that site. Does it fill the fields correctly? If so, does it submit the form?

I also have a Login item for Amazon.com and auto-submit works correctly for that, so I'm sure we can get it to work for you too. :)

Always submit and Submit When Enabled are always selected where needed. I do not know what the difference is between the two options.maybe you can explain

In the Preferences for 1Password, under the General tab, there's a setting for "Automatically submit logins after filling". That's a "global" setting, but you can change the auto-submit behavior for individual Login items. If a Login is set to "Submit when enabled", auto-submit for that item will only work if the global preference is enabled. If a Login is set to "Always submit", auto-submit for that item will work even if the global preference is disabled.

Let us know how it goes when you try filling login info for sites without using 1Click Bookmarks, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.
    Here is what I have done.
    I have un-checked the "Automatically submit logins after filling" that is in 1P preferences, under "Browser".
    You had indicated this option was under "General", but my version of 1P 5.3.2 has this feature under Browser.
    Changing all my 1P saves to "Always Submit" is now done and it seems to be filling in and logging me into many web sites. The same web sites that were problematic before. Thanks for that.
    Maybe there is a conflict between that preference option and the "submit when enabled" in the actual 1P save item ?

I have also gone to a number of web sites and used the pull down login in 1P mini and it does fill in and submit on some of my problem web sites. This makes me believe that my saved 1P in my Safari favorites may be the culprit.
    With many sites working perfectly with 1P filling in and submitting and some web sites just sitting there and filling in, I want to believe it is a web site problem and not Safari or 1P specifically. Just my guess

With 113 logins saved and being a 1P user for years, it goes without saying that I am hooked on this software app and can not and will not go with out it. So, when it comes up with a bug, it affects my every day life.

Again, I appreciate your help and answering me on the forum, so if others have similar problems they can learn from us

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaBurner,

I'm glad to hear Drew managed to help with your queries and you're quite right, the Automatically submit logins after filling is in the Browser tab and not under General :smile:

If you're still finding issues with certain Login items please do let us know.

I know what you mean as well, I'd be utterly screwed if 1Password didn't work for any reason as I've entrusted it with everything. Between my vaults being available on both my Macs, iOS devices and in Time Machine backups I'm hoping I'm safe :smile:

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Drew_AG-
    Well, I may have spoken too soon, in having this problem solved
    Turned off my computer (MacBook Pro) and started it up today and all 1Click Bookmarks saved in "favorites" in Safari 8.0.7 are not submitting at all.
    Many websites will fill in user name and password and then just sit there. Before most, but not all would submit after a very short delay.
    ALL these same web site fill in and submit perfectly from the actual 1P window of all my logins.

I clicked "always submit after logins filling in" in preferences and sadly that does not resolve this issue
    Like before, I assume that there is a compatibility problem from 1P and Safari, yes ??
    Maybe the next 1P upgrade will address this and fix the problem ?

• hershey
    hershey
    Community Member

And, my 1Clicks have all stopped working. Mine do not fill at all. I have created new logins from Save New Login and then dragged them to the bookmarks bar to create a new 1Click and nothing happens when I click on the 1Click item. The web page is visited, but nothing is filled. I can then click the mini and have it fill and submit. I can also Open and Fill from the main app but 1Clicks just do not work. Yosemite, with 1PW 5.3.

• P2in
    P2in
    Community Member

Ditto to 'hershey's' post.. 1Click have stopped working since I upgraded 10.10.4.
    All 1PW preferences changes suggested do not solve this issue.

1PW Version: 5.3 (530029)
    Extension Version: 4.4.0
    OS Version: OS X 10.10.4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the trouble! Occasionally an update will break some things, so we'll have to investigate what is going wrong here. Thanks for your patience!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hershey & @P2in,

Are you both using Safari by any chance like DaBurner? I suspect you are but confirmation would be useful just so we ensure we're not accidentally bundling your issues in with another one by accident.

It turns out 1-Click Bookmarks are broken in Safari for the moment and it's just a Safari issue as far as we're aware - both Firefox and Chrome seem to be unaffected. I apologise about this. Now clicking on the URL from the main 1Password window works, it is literally limited to 1-Click Bookmarking for reasons beyond my ken. Hopefully the devs can figure this out.

@DaBurner. I apologise it that it took as a while to identify the issue in your case, sometimes it can take a couple of rounds of communication for us to fully understand but we like to think we always get there. Sorry I don't have better news but it is reported.

ref: OPX-980

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Can I assume that the next 1P upgrade will address this issue with Safari 1Click Bookmarks ?
    It is such a useful and very convenient option, I would hate to not have it not work for a long time.
    With allot of Mac users and Safari being their go to browser, this must effect many 1P people

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaBurner,

Can I assume that the next 1P upgrade will address this issue with Safari 1Click Bookmarks ?

No, I would not assume this will be fixed in the next update for 1Password. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will, either. We simply don't know yet. We've only just started to hear about this issue, and if it's specific to Safari, then it sounds like something changed in the recent OS X 10.10.4 & Safari 8.0.7 updates. Therefore it might need to be fixed in Safari. Or maybe we can change something in 1Password to make it work again, but if so, I don't know if that change would be in the main 1Password app or the 1Password browser extension. (I'm also not a developer, so if this is something we can fix from our end, I don't know how much work that would involve.)

Now don't get me wrong, it's possible a fix won't take too long, but I don't want to get your hopes up. We try not to give out timeframes for things like this, as there are too many factors that could affect implementation, and we certainly don't want to promise something that we can't deliver on. We would hate to disappoint our users if we failed to meet a promised timeline for whatever reason. And keep in mind this might be something that needs to be fixed in Safari.

In the meantime, there are multiple workarounds. Switching to a different browser (Chrome or Firefox) should allow you to use 1Click Bookmarks correctly again. If you want to keep using Safari, you can select a Login item from the 1Password extension (if it helps, remember that you can use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut in Safari to open the 1Password extension). Or in the main 1Password app, simply double-click a Login item (or click once on its URL) to open the site in your browser and have the login form filled (we call this "open and fill").

I hope that helps for now, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience! If you have more questions about that, please do let us know. :)

• hershey
    hershey
    Community Member

Yes, I am using Safari. Haven't tried Firefox, yet. I will.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @hershey! It should work correctly for you in Firefox, but if you have problems with that, please let us know.

• hershey
    hershey
    Community Member

I tried FireFox and it works as you describe. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem @hershey, thanks for confirming it still works for you in Firefox! We'll continue investigating the problem in Safari.

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Even more problems with 1Click Bookmarks in favorites in Safari 8.0.7.
    Rather than dump all my 1Click bookmarks I have been using them to at least get me to the specific web site and then use the saved user name and password feature of Safari to then click Login.
    Now the 1Click Bookmarks take me to a page that states, error server can not find address on several sites.
    If I use the login feature directly from the 1P app it still works perfectly.
    This is not the end of the world or am I upset, I just wanted to report the latest in the conflict between 1P and the latest upgrade to
    Safari 8.0.7 and OS 10.10.4
    Ok, Agilbits, the ball is in your court. lol

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Rather than dump all my 1Click bookmarks I have been using them to at least get me to the specific web site and then use the saved user name and password feature of Safari to then click Login.

@DaBurner: It will be more secure and possibly easier to just press ⌘ \ to have 1Password log you in, rather than storing login credentials in the browser itself (which anyone accessing the computer will be able to get to).

This is not the end of the world or am I upset, I just wanted to report the latest in the conflict between 1P and the latest upgrade to Safari 8.0.7 and OS 10.10.4 [...] Ok, Agilbits, the ball is in your court. lol

Indeed. Thanks for your patience. But while you might not be upset, it's still definitely frustrating! I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll do our best to kiss and make up with Safari! :love:

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

brenty-
    I followed your advice and now go to all web sites after I have disabled the auto fill in Safari.
    Then I command - back slash and 1P fills in user name and password and logs in for me. Voilà !
    That is definitely a nice short cut, until this is all resolved.
    Thanks for the tip

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DaBurner: Yes! That's great! You are most welcome. I'm glad that helped, and I appreciate the update. And let's not forget that there was a time when I didn't know what I was missing with ⌘ \ either. I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of it. Cheers! :)

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

One last note:
    Starbucks web site will not work at all with 1P in Safari. I have heard from others that they are having issues as well.
    You'd think with all the money I spend at Starbucks, they could at least let me log in easily, but no. lol
    Currently for me, the Starbucks web site requires me to manually log in and submit. It seems anything automated in the log in process, it then takes me to another Starbucks non-logged in web site page.
    brenty - no the comand-back slash does not work either, but may have known that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaBurner,

We are aware of our inability to log into Starbucks. That one puzzles the heck out of me as I've even gone as far as watching the POST data between a successful log in and a failed one and I'm not seeing any difference. When the right people have time I hope to learn more about what on earth could be the cause there.

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

After upgrading to the new OS 10.11 El Capitan, I found some of my saved 1-click bookmarks are now working.
    I only found this out after I clicked onto a saved 1-click bookmark and it filled in and submitted.
    There are some that still need the manual submitting after filling in, but I am pleased that some work.
    The upgrade to the new OS was worth it for me, so far.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DaBurner,

As you've discovered, 1Click bookmarks are working again with Safari 9 on El Capitan. It's actually Safari 9 that makes the difference because they also work with it on Yosemite. Either way, I'm glad you have them back. :)

I generally prefer to manually submit, especially on certain sites with forms I always want to make confirm have filled correctly (e.g. financial ones that can be prone disruptive changes).

I've been running El Capitan betas for awhile, though on an older, lesser used Mac and hadn't really gotten a full feel for it. Upgraded a newer MacBook Air yesterday that's configured similarly to my primary Mac and got a better sense of the changes since Yosemite. Worth it to me as well, so far. :)

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Well, in the words of The Terminator, "I'll be bock"
    It looks like all of my all of my 1Click bookmarks are back and working. Most started working again after the upgrade to OS 10.11, specifically Safari 9.0 and then after my latest upgrade to the new 1P 5.4, they all seem to be doing what I need.
    Hope you all have the same luck. Thanks again, brenty, sjk, etc.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the 1Click bookmark follow-up, @DaBurner. Happy you're having a high success with them again!

And now this thread seems to have run its course so I'll close it on a high note.

Well, in the words of The Terminator, "I'll be bock"

Please do "be bock" again, starting a new thread, if there's anything else we can help you with. :)

Thanks again, brenty, sjk, etc.

On behalf of all of us, you're most welcome. :chuffed:

Have a wonderful week!

This discussion has been closed.