EncryptionKeys.js issue via Dropbox

Options

Comments

• robinthebuff
    robinthebuff
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to download my passwords from Dropbox but the problem file is: /1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js. The permissions are all set to "Allow." How do I fix this? I was able to download some photos, so Dropbox is working.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Robinthebuff,

Can you explain what is happening with more details. Where are you seeing the errors, on the website or in the program? When did it happen?

• robinthebuff
    robinthebuff
    Community Member
    Options

I open Dropbox and see Apps, Camera Uploads, etc. I click on Apps, 1Password, 1Password.agilekeychain, 1Password (with the Chrome icon). I then get the "A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it." message." Following the link, the problem file is

file:///C:/Users/Rob/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js

I went to the file Properties, Security, Permissions, and all of them were "Allowed."

But it still doesn't work!

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @robinthebuff,

Don't open the file directly on your local drive, that will not work. You can only open 1Password.html within Dropbox.com site in your Chrome. Browsers do not allow local javascript files to open, that's why you're getting an error, it is not a permission issue. To use 1PasswordAnywhere, open Dropbox.com in Chrome, login and then go to Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/ to click on 1Password.html.

Is there a reason you're trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere in Chrome instead of the main 1Password program on your computer or you're not allowed to use 1Password on this specific computer?

• robinthebuff
    robinthebuff
    Community Member
    Options

The reason is I don't know what the "heck" I'm doing. I've been messing around with this for 2 days!

Are you telling me that I should uninstall 1Password 4 from my homepage?

As far as I can see, I AM trying to start it from within Dropbox. (The Dropbox icon on my homepage. Is that incorrect, too?

Since I got an iPad in addition to my pc, I figured it would be good to be able to access things if both were synced. I chose Dropbox because iCloud is not compatible with Windows.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @robinthebuff,

Are you telling me that I should uninstall 1Password 4 from my homepage? As far as I can see, I AM trying to start it from within Dropbox. (The Dropbox icon on my homepage. Is that incorrect, too?

What do you mean by your homepage? Do you mean the desktop on your computer? From the error message you gave, it is referring to opening your 1Password file directly from your hard drive, not on Dropbox's website.

Can you try this for me:

1. Open the start menu on your computer and search for 1Password.exe there, open it once you find it
    2. The 1Password program should now open, does it show a locked view or does it ask where your data file is? Let me know.
  • robinthebuff
    robinthebuff
    Community Member
    Options

I mean the desktop on my computer.When I try to open 1Desktop from the Start menu it asks me if I want to allow it to make changes on my computer. It asks me the same thing when I click on the icon on my computer desktop. When I allow it to make changes, the next screen is the locked Vault. When I unlock it it has no files in it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robinthebuff: It sounds like you've got the 1Password installer in your Start Menu then, as that will need your permission in order to install the app. Running the 1Password app itself won't need special permissions unless Windows is very looked down for some reason.

But more to the point, you seem to be opening the Dropbox folder on your computer using a link on the Desktop. As MikeT mentioned previously, you will not be able to open 1Password from there. You can access your 1Password data on your computer one of two ways:

1. 1Password app: Open the main 1Password app and unlock your vault. Since you mentioned that the vault is empty, it sounds like you may have more than one 1Password vault. In 1Password go to File > Open 1Password Vault and choose your existing 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder.
    2. 1PasswordAnywhere: Go to the Dropbox website, navigate to the 1Password.agilekeychain, and open 1password.html to access your vault on the web.

If you're still having trouble, be sure to include a screenshot in your reply, and let us know exactly which steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening for you. We will get this sorted out for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.