Unlocking [1Password app will not unlock if it is not running]

Options
SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Windows 8.1 & Firefox

Go to site login page. Using extension icon, I unlock 1P with master pw. Unlock icon in win task bar shows unlocked status. But, if I then go to open 1P from win task bar icon, it tells me that it's locked, and I need to enter master pw again. Any ideas on why I have to re-enter pw or why icon shows unlocked but 1P is still locked?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SecretSquirrel: Ah, indeed! When you unlock 1Password in the browser, this is 1Password Helper (which is also shown running in the notification area — neé "System Tray" — as you describe). If you do not have the main 1Password app open, it will still be locked when you open it even if the Helper has already been unlocked. 1Password simply won't unlock while it is not running, no matter which browser you use.

So what you can do to have it work the way it sounds like you'd like it to is to open the main 1Password app and simply minimize it to the notification area, where it will remain running and lock and unlock along with the Helper. I hope this, well...helps! ;)

• MikeT
    Options

:smile: That's a good one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh that is just too awesome! どうも ありがとう ございます! :+1: :lol: :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

For others, Brenty said "thank you" in Japanese and the response was "you're welcome". I thought that might help save the trips for many.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @4everblessed64,

The task bar notification unlock is not enough....the main app itself must be running.

That is correct, the notification tray program is the 1Password Helper to work with your browser extensions, it's not a replacement of the main program or nor are they interlinked like that.

In order to sync the lock status, both programs must be running at the same time.

Well, how do we get the app running on windows startup? If I have to manually add the shortcut to the startup folder, what switch (argument) do I use to make it minimized to system tray?

The main 1Password program does not minimize to the system tray, it sends 1Password Helper to the notification tray only, they're not interlinked like that.

However, you can do this by right-clicking on the shortcut, go to Properties > Shortcut, and set the Run command to start in minimized mode like so in this screenshot:

That should start 1Password minimized for you. Note, this will not if you have Unlock on Secure Desktop turned on, that forces the program to be shown to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@4EverMaAT: Great! But if for some reason Windows won't launch the app on startup, well...I can't imagine why it wouldn't. I've been using that trick for years without issue, so you should be all set. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.