How can I stop 1Password from generating a new page.

Options

When I come to a page that calls for a username and password and I have that username and password stored I click the 1Password icon, go to the login that I need and when I click it, 1Password launches a new page, enters the information and I am in.

My question is.... how can I get 1Password to just enter the username and password on the page that I am on instead of launching a new page and then entering the info.

Thanks....

1Password Version: 4.5.0 575
I am using: Windows 7

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @retiredone3704,

Which browser are you using?

When you were on that login page, did the Login item for that page show up on top of the 1Password menu or did you have to go to the Logins submenu to find the item for the site?

It sounds like 1Password is performing a Go and Fill instead of the regular Fill action. This may happen if the URL in the address bar doesn't match the URL of your saved Login items.

• retiredone3704
    retiredone3704
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Google Chrome. But what I have noticed is that of I do the keyboard shortcut to fill in the login's it works fine. 1Password does what it is suppose to do. But if I use my mouse to go to the icon in my browser, pull it down, go to logins, choose my login info then it generates a new page. Keyboard shortcut, works fine.

Thanks for the speedy help...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @retiredone3704,

I think I understand what is going on here, let's see if I can explain it. When you click on the browser icon you should see something that looks a little like this.

Now if you're on a login page for a site that you have correctly stored in 1Password, then you should also see certain entries in their own section above where it says Search... This happens when the domain of the page you're visiting matches that of URL stored in your Login item. Please note that the protocol HTTP or HTTPS is important. Now if you click on one of the entries above where it says Search... it will attempt to fill in on the current page, much like how ctrl + \ does. If you navigate through the Logins submenu though this will use the default behaviour as is stored in Settings > Open Login In > ... which is also in this helper menu. Now the default setting is New Tab but it can be set to Current Tab. The problem this might have later though is if you're in the middle of composing a message in one tab and you want 1Password to log you into another site, this would result in your current message being discarded as the tab is instructed to load a new page. That's why New Tab is probably the safe option here.

So it should be you can either fill in the current tab using ctrl + \ or by selecting a Login item in those matched to this tab and they should appear above the Search... option in the menu.

Does that help at all?

• retiredone3704
    retiredone3704
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it does help. Thanks for helping me to figure it out.

Rich

• MikeT
    Options

That's great to hear! On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.