Before the free upgrade to 5

Options
Roger42
Roger42
Community Member

Here is what I currently have:

for OS X Yosemite 1 Password 5.3.2 purchased from the Agile Web Store probably as version 4

for IOS 8.x (immediately previous to 8.4) for iPad & iPhone 1 Password 4 (4.1.3).

Reading here and there it seems I need to dump version 5 on the Mac and purchase a new copy for the Mac of 5 from the app store before I can get the free upgrade to 5 in IOS.

Is that correct. Help appreciated!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Roger42,

Thanks for asking about this, as that is not correct. Could you please point me to the text that gave you that assumption, so I can see if perhaps we can clarify it?

From a purchasing/licensing perspective, Mac & iOS are totally separate, so purchasing on one is never related to purchasing on the other.

The upgrade from v4 on iOS to v5 on iOS is always free so long as you are using the same Apple ID you originally purchased v4 with. You can download v5 here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id568903335

The only reason to re-purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store is if you would like to sync via iCloud. As it currently stands Apple only allows applications purchased from the App Store to use their CloudKit sync API for iCloud, which is what 1Password uses. If you want to sync with Dropbox or over WiFi then there wouldn't be any advantage to re-purchasing from the App Store.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.