1Password has hosed by Amex Bank login [Fixed in the 1Password 4.4.1 ext for Firefox]

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have an account at american express bank. When I opened the page 1PW sent some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send some incorrect info which caused the page to reload which caused 1PW to send ...

Until I managed to abort 1PW with the task manager.

Now my account at the bank is locked and I'm going to have to go some kind of h..l to get it reset.

This is bad.

it's firefox on windows 64-bt and I'm on the latest versions of everything.

Can I continue t trust this app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorDan: I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds a bit strange, but there are a few things that could be happening:

• Often, websites are coded in such a way as to actively try to thwart login filling, so that customers have to manually type their passwords rather than using another program to fill them. Obviously, this makes people want to use weaker, easier passwords... :(
    • Additionally, often a site will put restrictions on the password composition, but accept an invalid password (too long, usually), which 1Password then saves, and subsequently it is trying to fill a password that the website does not actually accept...
    • And finally, some websites simply do not like 1Password submitting the login form; so in these cases disabling autosubmit can help.

However, it's impossible to say for certain what the particular issue is in your case without basic information like the URL and the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, which would allow us to do some testing ourselves.

And, of course, you can certainly trust 1Password, as it encrypts your data using your Master Password. And for instance if 1Password has some invalid login information, you can easily give it the correct information to avoid having similar problems in the future, and it will serve you better going forward.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Hi @DoctorDan,

I think I know what the problem is and we're investigating for the cause and will issue a fix ASAP.

Are you opening the Amex site from the main 1Password program or from the 1Password extension, rather than visiting Amex site manually in Firefox? If yes, that's the factor we found in a few reports so far, if you try to open it from 1Password, it would not clear the site from the filling queue after it already did fill. We hope to have a fix out very soon.

The workaround is to visit the site manually until we issue a new update to our Firefox extension or use a different browser.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Yes, all your assumptions about the steps I followed are correct. It does work correctly if I visit the site manually or if I use a different browser (chrome). I also found another site that exhibited the problem, except that they coded theirs to display a different page after the second failed attempt.

• Hi @DoctorDan,

Thanks for confirming this, we will issue a fix as soon as possible. We do apologize for letting this slip through the crack.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

I really appreciate your prompt response.

• Thank you for your understanding, I do appreciate it wasn't a great experience to go through and in addition to having your bank access locked out. Again, we are sorry about that. We'll find a way to prevent this from happening again.

• Hi @DoctorDan,

We've just released 1Password 4.6 for Windows and 1Password 4.4.1 extension for Firefox that should resolved the issues you've reported. Please update to both versions and let me know if it is working better for you.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

so far, so good

• Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully it'll stay like that on the rest of the sites.

This discussion has been closed.