Filling issue

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Tons of problems with iMac.

Comments

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem: 1Password fills in additional information on the URL, thus taking me to the wrong page! I tried some of the solutions mentioned above, to no avail. However, now, 1P won't fill in ANY url when I click on it. It's worse now that it was before! Something's going on with 1P and it needs to be fixed.

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

re above: the url I see in 1P is: www.ufcu.org Here's what 1P fills in: https://www.ufcu.org/search-results?txt=
    why does 1P, all of a sudden, start adding additional words to the URL. I have tried deleting that item in 1P several times, to no avail.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

I've split your posts from the other thread as I can only assume you were reading a different thread and were intending to post there.

Can I ask, is this the sort of thing you're seeing added to the URL?

?onepasswdfill=E5SXIC98JA2C3750P1V2ONS2GWA1OF6Q

If you are, I'm wondering if you have the 1Password Browser Extension installed. If you don't that would explain the behaviour you're seeing.

When you click on a URL from within the main 1Password window it initiates open and fill. We pass the URL to OS X which passes it to your default web browser. How do we inform the extension though that we want to fill this login page with a specific Login item after the page has loaded? we use that parameter that we attach to the URL. Before the browser even starts loading the page the extension, if present, will remove the parameter leaving the browser to load the correct URL. The extension then uses the UUID to identify which Login item to fill with after the page has loaded. If the 1Password Browser Extension is not installed and enabled for any reason it cannot perform this duty and so instead the browser will attempt to load the web page with this additional parameter in place.

Could this explain what you're experiencing at all?

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. No, the example you gave is not what I am seeing. And, I opened Safari and installed the 1P extension and had not problem at all. So, it's confined to Firefox and that one entry (because I can use 1P to open other entries without any problems. Just to be certain, I uninstalled 1p Ext on FF and reinstalled it. Same results.
    When I use 1P (either the main 1P app or the Extension) for www.ufcu.org, it opens it up, fills it in, then....suddenly, the url changes to https://www.ufcu.org/search-results?txt= and the page switches to that url, which, of course, is not what i want.
    It's a real mystery so far.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

Can I ask, what is the full URL as is stored in 1Password? if we can replicate your findings I can ask the devs specific questions.

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for following up on this. As far as I am able to determine, the url in 1P is: www.ufcu.org

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

Thank you. I was able to visit the site and I now have a better understanding of what is happening.

Our submit after filling feature isn't aware of submit or log in buttons, instead we work on the assumption that if we mimic the enter key after filling in the username and password that the site will react in a sensible way. Now I'm not entirely sure why but in Firefox focus shifts to the search bar below the login window (where is says "How can we help you?"). Pressing enter while focus is on that field sends you to https://www.ufcu.org/search-results?txt= which of course results in you not being logged in.

I see two possibilities.

A failed log in sends you to https://ondemand.ufcu.org/hbnet/login/login.aspx?organization=FB366962-6E2E-4c57-91D0-23F36957C653 a simple page dedicated to logging you in. If you create a Login item for UFCU using that page I would expect it to work.

The other solution I can suggest at the moment is to turn off submit after filling for just this single Login item. This will result in both the fields being filled, leaving you to click the Log In button. To do this you would edit the Login from within the main 1Password window. When you do you will see two new options become visible. One of them is titled submit and the default is Submit when enabled. Switching this from the default to Never submit should also resolve the issue of being sent to their search page.

Does one of these suggestions result in a better behaved Login item?

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. that will work it seems! At least it opens to the correct page. However, now 1P does not fill, although I have open and fill turned on. If you can be so kind as to tell me how to resolve that also, I'd appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

followup comment: i was trying to fix this problem by reading on the Forum about it. I saw a comment about holding down the Control (?) key while submitting and it would turn off the submit. I tried that, so maybe I need a way to turn it back on???

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

It might be worth trying to create a new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide. I suggest this as my Login item created in this manner will fill without submitting in both Firefox and Safari. If the page has changed at all since your Login item was first created maybe we're struggling to fill on the new page and new to learn about it (which we do if you save a new Login via the Extension).

I don't believe you can use the ctrl key to modify the submit behaviour, do you still have the URL where you read that? I'd be curious to read what was written.

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. thanks again. You suggestion of putting in the "on demand" login url works fine on the FF extension, but fails to "fill and enter" on the 1P desktop app.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

Can I ask, how does your Login item compare to this test one?

That seems to work, well as far as I can test given I don't have an account. During testing though this Login behaved as expected for both filling and open and fill. Do you notice any differences compared to the one you have that might help discern the difference in behaviour that we're seeing?

• Osote
    Osote
    Community Member
    Options

Bobbie: Mine looks 99% the same (mine doesn't have the https:// in front). But, it goes to the site, fills it in, and enters the information and it opens. Thank you again for your help!! I certainly appreciate the way Agilebits gives excellent support!!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Osote,

Looks I'm arriving a bit late to join this party in progress but it appears to have been an ultimate success. :lol:

To confirm, are open and fill and submit now working as you'd like for the UFCU site when using a Login item with this alternate website value that @littlebobbytables suggested?

https://ondemand.ufcu.org/hbnet/login/login.aspx?organization=FB366962-6E2E-4c57-91D0-23F36957C653

You did mention this difference:

(mine doesn't have the https:// in front)

I recommend adding that to your item, ensuring it will always try opening a secure HTTPS connection.

Thank you again for your help!! I certainly appreciate the way Agilebits gives excellent support!!

You're very welcome, on Adam's behalf, and thanks so much from all of our team for your kind words! :chuffed:

And if you'd like more support for this issue or anything else please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.