How to Correct Dropbox Sync Issues?

Options
andrewdittrich
andrewdittrich
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

I have two Macs and two iOS devices all syncing through Dropbox, only they are not in sync. All device are on latest and greatest versions, Macs both have 1Password from the MAS. Below are the counts:

iPhone: 335 items
iPad: 310 items
iMac: 332 items
MacBook Pro: 330 items

I'm not really sure even what to do here or how to correct but consider me deeply concerned. I'm not getting any errors on any of my devices, and just for fun I created a new login and watched it sync between all 4 devices. Are there diff tools or how do I know what is missing from each? How do I get back in sync and which file do I even start with?

1Password Version: 5.3 MAS
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrewdittrich,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with Dropbox sync! Thanks for letting us know what you've tried. It's very strange that a new item syncs correctly to all 4 devices, but the "All Items" number is different on each one. But if a new item syncs to all devices, that at least tells us Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password on each one, and that they're all syncing with the same data file in Dropbox.

What should help in this case is if you reset Dropbox sync. Before doing that, you should backup your data as a precaution. On each Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup. On your iOS devices, you can follow these steps to backup your data.

When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps to reset Dropbox sync:

On one Mac (either one is fine):

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open your Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the .agilekeychain has been deleted.
    • In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Your other Mac and your iOS devices should stop syncing when they realize the .agilekeychain has been removed from Dropbox, and you'll likely get an error message about that on each one (which is expected). You can follow these steps to re-enable Dropbox sync:

On your other Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

On each iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing.
    • Choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.
    • If you see a Vault Mismatch message, tap More Info and then tap Merge These Vaults Anyway.
    • Enter your master password if prompted.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks!

• andrewdittrich
    andrewdittrich
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you. I will try this tonight when I get home and post back with results.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @andrewdittrich! Whenever you get the chance to do that is fine, just let us know how it works out for you.

• andrewdittrich
    andrewdittrich
    Community Member
    Options

Okay following these steps I was able to reset the sync on all devices and get 332 items on each! Only weird thing was on both my iOS devices I got a message stating "Dropbox has asked us to delay the sync. Resuming shortly." But it eventually cleared on each. The other weird thing for which I would appreciate a response is after I deleted my files from Dropbox, I confirmed it was gone from Dropbox manually, but shortly after the keychain was recreated in the main Dropbox folder. I also now have the Dropbox/1Password folder which also contains a 1Password.agilekeychain as directed in your steps above and that is what all my devices are syncing with. So what do I do with this new 1Password.agilekeychain? Do I delete it? It's very small, only 320kb versus the real one which is severel MBs. Just want to make sure it's nothing important...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrewdittrich,

Great, I'm glad to hear it's all working & matching up on each device now! :)

The error about Dropbox delaying the sync is normal and can occasionally happen when trying to sync more data than normal via Dropbox in a short amount of time. You needed to delete and re-create the .agilekeychain in Dropbox and sync it to/from each device, which can cause something like that. It usually starts syncing properly again after a bit of time, and it sounds like that's what happened.

As for the new 1Password.agilekeychain that you found in the main Dropbox folder, are you sure it wasn't there before? Older versions of 1Password used to create the keychain file in the main Dropbox folder, instead of in the Dropbox/1Password/ folder, so it sounds like something that may have been there for a while. Otherwise I'm not sure what would cause it to suddenly appear there. But it's nothing to worry about, and if 1Password is syncing with Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain on each Mac and iOS device, you can delete the keychain from the main Dropbox folder.

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• andrewdittrich
    andrewdittrich
    Community Member
    Options

It was there before, it got removed when I turned off Dropbox sync on the first Mac, then it was gone, then it got added again. I've been using 1Password since 1P3, so my sync file probably was in the main folder then. I'm thinking maybe one of my other devices added it back while I was in process of cleaning everything up. Good to know it can be deleted. Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andrewdittrich: On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome. I'm glad that helped. You should be all set, but be sure to reach out if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.