Feature request: Google Drive sync support

Options
enniorancati
enniorancati
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Hello Everyone.

I know this question has been made many many times, but still. Any plans to add google drive as a sync method?

I'm sure many people in here they are using with a lot of satisfaction the 1password software and they are, same as me, using dropbox only to sync devices, even if my only cloud system for work is google drive.

I'll use dropbox till when this new feature will be added...hope hope hope fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @enniorancati,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this! As you've noticed, other customers have also requested support for Google Drive in 1Password. We try not to comment much on future plans or features, as there are too many factors that could affect implementation, and we certainly don't want to promise something that we can't deliver on.

I noticed you recently purchased a bundle license for the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password, so I wanted to mention that you can use Google Drive to sync 1Password data between Mac and Windows. In 1Password for Mac, you can use the Folder sync feature to point to a local .agilekeychain file that is synced via Google Drive. On Windows, as long as Google Drive syncs that .agilekeychain to a local folder, you can open that in 1Password for Windows.

We can't guarantee that will work as well as it does with Dropbox sync, but you can certainly try it if you'd like. Just make sure you have backups of your 1Password data before setting that up.

Now, if you're using 1Password on any iOS devices, unfortunately you won't be able to use Google Drive to sync your 1Password data there. The reason it can currently work with 1Password for Mac or Windows is because those versions of 1Password can simply write data to a local folder on the computer, and the cloud sync service takes care of the rest. This doesn't require us to make any changes to 1Password in order to work with those sync services.

But on iOS, because of sandboxing restrictions, it doesn't work the same way. We have to program the 1Password for iOS app to support the API for each cloud sync service it supports. We might be able to do that with Google Drive at some point, but that will involve plenty of work for our developers.

Thanks again for your feedback, we do appreciate it! If you need anything else, just let us know.

• enniorancati
    enniorancati
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew for the answer!

Yes i'v already tried to sync with the folder mode for win-mac data and it worked just fine, but i have also ios version of 1password which i want to update.
    I know the ios version requires more work from you to add the google drive sync functionality, but in the nowadays where people has a lot of these cloud services and many files everywhere, for the ones like me (and from what i found on the internet many others), who want to keep everything organized in one cloud service only, it is painful to keep dropbox running only for 1password. So, long story short, you did a GREAT job with 1password app, please go ahead just a little little bit and give to user the possibility to use google drive as well please!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @enniorancati ,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get Google Drive sync working across your desktop machines. That's a great start! To keep your mobile devices in sync right now, I'd recommend using Wi-Fi sync.

We'll let our team know that Google Drive for mobile devices is on your wish list. ;)

• enniorancati
    enniorancati
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello everyone,

once again i'm here to ask for the google drive sync.
    Please guys you made one of the best app in the past 4-5 years, now do the last thing for us and add this last very demanded feature.

thanks in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @enniorancati,

I've merged the two threads just to keep things neat and to help show the timeline :smile:

Sadly there isn't anything new that I can report. We certainly haven't discounted the idea but neither have we made any progress currently. I realise you would much preferred to hear something better as we would have loved to have replied with. I do apologise that there's little more I can say at the moment :(

ref: OPI-1210

• enniorancati
    enniorancati
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the fast reply. My 2 coworkers wants to use one password as well, but they don't want to make a Dropbox account only because of this. I can't image how many other users are having the same "problem" worldwide. Please give them this basic feature. Have a nice day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! hopefully we can add Google Drive support in a future version. Cheers! :)

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    I just wanted to understand why it wouldn't be recommended to simply place your vault inside a Google drive folder and have that sync across all your macs?
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-folder.html

That's what I currently do, but I've noticed that Drive is ALWAYS syncing 1Password files now.
    I don't know if this reconciliation process exhausts significantly additional bandwidth, battery or space vs using Dropbox, but would love to know the expert opinions and results! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just wanted to understand why it wouldn't be recommended to simply place your vault inside a Google drive folder and have that sync across all your macs?

@amonzur: Great question! AgileBits doesn't support Google Drive officially, as 1Password simply wasn't designed to use it. Now, this is less of an issue on the desktop, since there's a local folder for 1Password to write to, and Google Drive can simply be the destination. The main concern is that 1Password won't know how to deal with any sync conflicts that might arise with various sync services.

I don't know if this reconciliation process exhausts significantly additional bandwidth, battery or space vs using Dropbox, but would love to know the expert opinions and results!

It's funny you mention this, because I actually disabled Google Drive completely about a week ago. I wonder if there's some kind of bug there, because it was maxing out an entire CPU core on my Mac and using more energy than Safari (and that's a big deal for me, because I have a lot of tabs open). Of course, in your case, there may also be some interaction between the way that 1Password writes data and how Google Drive syncs it. However, in my case I don't currently have any 1Password data stored there, so I don't know what was up with that. I just know it cut my battery life in half until I noticed and disabled it! :lol:

I guess the takeaway is that you're free to use Folder Sync with virtually any cloud service, but we currently support Dropbox and iCloud in particular because they both have robust sync APIs across multiple platforms, customer support, and we've tested them extensively with 1Password specifically...so we can wholeheartedly recommend those particular solutions. But we'll continue to explore alternatives such as Google Drive and others going forward. :)

• peschkaj
    peschkaj
    Community Member
    Options

Let me help you out - Google Sync API.

1Password is the only reason I continue to give Dropbox money.

The general feeling I get from AgileBits support staff on this forum is that they say what customers want to hear about Google Drive support. If you have no intention of ever supporting Google Drive, it'd be nice to know so that those of us who don't want to use Dropbox can search for password management software that provides Google Drive support. Since adding emoticons seems to be the way we deliver bad news around here, I'll close with :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The general feeling I get from AgileBits support staff on this forum is that they say what customers want to hear about Google Drive support. If you have no intention of ever supporting Google Drive, it'd be nice to know so that those of us who don't want to use Dropbox can search for password management software that provides Google Drive support. Since adding emoticons seems to be the way we deliver bad news around here, I'll close with :)

@peschkaj: Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. 1Password does not support Google Drive currently, but we haven't ruled out supporting it in the future. It's as simple as that.

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

Whilst I appreciate the responses if I'm being honest, I actually think I agree with @peschkaj, if a competitor or Lastpass move to supporting Google Drive, I would likely jump ship.
    It's a shame as 1Password is a great app, but having to re-think my entire digital storage architecture because of 1Password isn't ideal, and the current way of using 1Password syncing with Google Drive is definitely odd.
    Here's to hoping you intro support for Gdrive soon!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@peschkaj, @amonzur: There are a lot of feature requests, and Google Drive is just one of many, I'm afraid. Not adding any given feature simply because it is requested isn't bad news so much as a lack of good news, plain and simple.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." — Bill Shakespeare

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I know I appreciate at least getting an honest answer rather than being ignored or misled. Hopefully we'll have better news for you in the future, but currently the answer is still "not now".

• peschkaj
    peschkaj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the first honest response about this functionality that I've seen in these forums.

I've visited the other threads. They are disappointing, to say the least. But it's good to know that support for fingerprint authentication on Android, a feature that less than 1% of Android phones have, and most won't have for over a year, is a high priority.

Thanks for the good times, 1Password. It was real.

• aschulle
    aschulle
    Community Member
    Options

Very frustrating that 1password is still not available with sync to google drive.

Any news on this matter?
    Any date in sight?

Just want to know if it's time to switch away or if there is actually some real intention of implementing this very soon.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@aschulle - I'm reasonably sure that @Brenty gave you the answer two posts above your own. 1Password folks never discuss whether or when a new feature will come. But I expect someone from AgileBits will be along shortly to reiterate that.

• aschulle
    aschulle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @hawkmoth . The point of my post was to express that this feature is important to me and many other people. Development priorities are always set by the perception of the managers of what is truly important to add to the bottom revenue line, balancing a fine line of implementing features to attract new customers and retain existing ones.

A post replying professionally to the matter is not going to change the situation or purpose of the post. I appreciate Moderators and Employees engaging with customers like me.
    I would even appreciate it more if you would use your internal communication channels to express that the number of dissatisfied or frustrated paying customers is increasing in regards to the feature request of adding Google Drive as one of the integrated syncing options.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've visited the other threads. They are disappointing, to say the least. But it's good to know that support for fingerprint authentication on Android, a feature that less than 1% of Android phones have, and most won't have for over a year, is a high priority.

@peschkaj: Indeed, and security should be a higher priority than sync services, since it affects all 1Password users, regardless of whether they sync or not.

Just want to know if it's time to switch away or if there is actually some real intention of implementing this very soon.
    I would even appreciate it more if you would use your internal communication channels to express that the number of dissatisfied or frustrated paying customers is increasing in regards to the feature request of adding Google Drive as one of the integrated syncing options.

@aschulle: If 1Password doesn't have the featureset you're looking for, you don't have to buy it. And certainly we don't advertise Google Drive support, since we don't currently offer it. We're always looking at ways to improve 1Password, but this has to be done a little at a time, and Google Drive hasn't made the cut yet.

In the end, it makes a huge difference to us what features people want, but again Google Drive is just one of many requested sync options even. However, we're absolutely more likely to add support for it in the future if requests for it outpace others. But it isn't something that we will add over the span of a matter of days, regardless of requests or complaints, so I don't have anything new to announce since my last few posts.

• Kakarotto
    Kakarotto
    Community Member
    Options

Been using 1P for a longtime now, got our whole team on it too.

We need Gdrive sync now given DB has decided to enable all files to have a public link by default, which is a HUGE security risk for 1P users.

It's actually quite insulting to find out you are not answering your userbase directly with a straight "YES - [X] DATE" or "NO - NEVER".

We pay for the service and expect to have concrete answers as a result, not "maybe when we feel like it".

Can you not comprehend just how DANGEROUS Dropbox has become for its users that aren't paying for it?

Gdrive sync or we're jumping ship and getting everyone else to follow suit.

And man, we are some of your biggest advocates. I've easily got about 50+ people to sign up for 1P over the last year.

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

@Kakarotto I agree, I think the "support" responses have been exceptionally frustrating, particularly in a paid for service, but I think this is more down to @brenty's interpersonal skills more than anything else, as I received good support prior to purchasing. In fact, the support was the reason why I did purchase!

My guess is that 1Password actually have no idea when Google Drive sync is coming, if at all.

For anyone else that's doing what I did, by following this guide to sync their 1Password vault/db using Google Drive, DO NOT DO IT!
    I have to change a number of my passwords across 2 machine's fairly regularly for compliancy reasons and have noticed the following consistent issues;
    1. Syncing takes forever (I'm talking hours), even if no records have been changed on either Mac.
    2. This incurs heavy CPU activity from Google Drive which in turn hurts battery life significantly for me.
    3. This is the biggest point, the records are not reconciled correctly. I do not know why this is, as I always allow the sync to complete. But updated passwords do not always replicate across my machines.

This is pretty disappointing, as it means my only real option is to have dropbox running in the background now on all of my devices.

Fingers crossed this changes, but from the sounds of it, no one at 1Password is working on Google Drive integration at this present moment.

• TheWatkinator
    TheWatkinator
    Community Member
    Options

I really would love to see this feature. You constantly add new features like the new "teams" sync, but I believe that the amount of people that want this feature outweighs most other requested. Pretty pleeeeeeease!

• bdizzle
    bdizzle
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to the sentiment (cc: @aschulle, @peschkaj @enniorancati ) that having GDrive as a smooth sync option is core to any world where multiple devices and OSs is the new standard. Let's make this happen 1P - I've been a user for ~5 years, but starting to look at other options now. Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

amonzur,

I know you're frustrated that we haven't added support for syncing via Google Drive. It's completely understandable. However, we have to ask that you please don't take it out on brenty. He's a good guy who is trying to help. :)

TheWatkinator, bedazzle, et al,

We don't have metrics on the exact number of requests for each feature, but, anecdotally, we see a far greater number of requests for enhanced business/enterprise/family licensing and data sharing. That's the demand 1Password for Teams is intended to address.

Although Google Drive isn't currently at the top of our to-do list, it hasn't found a place on our "to don't" list. ;) As with anything, we have limited resources and have to prioritize those resources. Customer demand, of course, is a huge factor in that prioritization, but it isn't the only one. It's unlikely that we'll see Google Drive sync support in 1Password in the near future. However, we have not ruled it out. We don't have concrete plans to add it soon, as it will require a large coordinated effort across all of the development teams for each platform we support to add it. And at the moment we are firing on all cylinders for 1Password for Teams. It won't be something that'll happen over night, but you can be sure we'll post about it here as soon as we have more to share.

If you have any other questions or concerns in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know — either in this thread or by creating a new thread if it's unrelated to the Google Drive feature request.

We're always standing at the ready. :)

• Seany
    Seany
    Community Member
    Options

Metrics are from your current users. How about those users that turned away or didn't even start trying because of lack of Google Drive support. I would imagine many Android users would fall into that category. So, please, you need to consider this now!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Seany,

I'm not sure that it would be possible to track those metrics, but we are listening. Thank you for your feedback!

• sashak
    sashak
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1Password for many years at home. I love it.

The lack of Gdrive support is keeping our large Dev team at work from using it. We can't use 1Password for Teams because storing the DB in AWS is not allowed by our Sec/Compliance teams. It would be lovely to be able to drop the password safe in our Gdrive account and Devs could sync it from their work machines.

I imagine lots of companies have DevOps and Operation teams that would like to buy 1Password but are not doing so because it lacks Gdrive support for sync.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @sashak,

First of all, thank you for your kind words:

I have been using 1Password for many years at home. I love it.

Feedback like that really means a lot to us, and we appreciate your longtime support!

1Password for Teams is actually a lot more secure than storing anything in a third-party sync service. We've built it in such a way that it makes syncing a thing of the past. Your data is just always at your fingertips wherever you need it — in one of the apps or on the web. The security is built in such a way that even if we stored the database in plain public view, it would still be secure. AWS isn't an issue. Adding an additional third-party sync service would be a huge step down in terms of both security and convenience.

But you don't have to take my word for it. I encourage you to read (and share with your Security/Compliance teams) our 63-page white paper:

1Password for Teams: Security Design white paper (PDF)

There are also some high level concepts explained on the security page of the 1Password for Teams website:

1Password for Teams: Security

As well as what I like to call the CliffsNotes in the 1Password for Teams Admin Guide:

Admin Guide: Security

I already said you don't have to take my word for it, but you don't have to take AgileBits' word for it either. We use periodic third-party assessments of 1Password for Teams to ensure it remains a secure way for you to share all your secrets. You can read about our third-party reviews and the results of their assessments here:

1Password for Teams: Third Party Reviews

We never say never, but I don't expect support for another third-party sync service to be added any time soon since 1Password for Teams is not only far more secure, but it's also more powerful in terms of sharing and syncing without the need of a third-party sync service. It allows you to deploy new vaults to your teammates automatically, invite new members in bulk, set granular access permissions for each teammate on each vault, revoke access to vaults and suspend/delete team members, and recover accounts if your teammates forget their Master Passwords.

That all may appear to be a bigger draw for a larger team (as you described). For home use, iCloud, Dropbox, and Wi-Fi Sync continue to be supported. However, there is no reason that, as a home user, you can't have a Team as well. My wife and I use 1Password for Teams and benefit from its additional security and sharing capabilities. You can even have a Team of one if you just want the extra security benefits.

I apologize if my post has turned into something resembling a sales pitch, but 1Password for Teams is just leaps and bounds better than syncing with a third-party sync service. If you still have any questions or comments after reading the white paper, we are happy to answer them!

• amonzur
    amonzur
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to loop back on this thread for anyone that is in the same position as me.
    Whilst I pay for additional Google storage and would prefer to use it, however as I've stated before, it is not fit for purpose and causes a few issues (detailed in my last post).
    However, a great interim fix, is the release of icloud functionality for everyone in v6!
    I still look forward to G drive support one day, but for now am using icloud. just be sure to lock it down with MFA and a strong password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

However, a great interim fix, is the release of icloud functionality for everyone in v6!

Excellent! That's great that iCloud is working well for you, @amonzur.

And enabling two-step verification accounts is always a good idea. :+1:

• mjeshurun
    mjeshurun
    Community Member
    Options

Just leaving my +1 for Google Drive sync.

This discussion has been closed.