Wi-Fi sync is not working

Options
sbowman1
sbowman1
Community Member

IOS device cannot find the mac to sync with - both are on the same network and wifi sync enabled - setting have been checked on both so the sync should occur

Iphone 6
MacBook Pro

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please can you tell us the exact, detailed error message you get when you try to sync using wifi. By all means post a screen shot here of the error if it's easier.

In the meantime, have you tried rebooting both the MacBook Pro and the iPhone to see if that helps?

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbowman1,

I'm sorry Wi-Fi sync is giving you some trouble here! Are you trying to set up Wi-Fi sync for the first time, or was it already set up between your Mac and iPhone but suddenly stopped working? Do you have the 1Password app open on both your Mac and iPhone? It will also help if you can let us know the answers to Stephen's questions.

Also, can you please confirm which version of 1Password you're using on your iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

• sbowman1
    sbowman1
    Community Member
    Options

The iphone version is 5.4.3

The message is
    Computer not found
    1Password could not find a mac or pc to sync with. Please make sure your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network and is running 1Password app with Wi-Fi sync option enabled.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbowman1,

Thanks for letting us know the version number and error message! It will really help if you can also let us know the answers to the other questions Stephen and I asked. To save you a bit of trouble, here are the questions I'm referring to:

• Have you tried rebooting both the MacBook Pro and the iPhone to see if that helps?
    • Are you trying to set up Wi-Fi sync for the first time, or was it already set up between your Mac and iPhone but suddenly stopped working?
    • Do you have the 1Password app open on both your Mac and iPhone?

Thanks, we do appreciate it!

• sbowman1
    sbowman1
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Yes
    2. The Mac is a new computer. I was able to sync when I originally loaded the software & upgraded to Mac & PC version
    3. Yes

I can't remember when I originally used the sync function between the Mac and PC if I used WiFi or another method of transferring the data.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It can't harm to reboot the router too, though it may well not help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbowman1,

Now I believe the error "Computer not found" is in relation to stale Bonjour information. So the suggestions of rebooting devices was sound advice.

Now Wi-Fi Sync is much like the other approaches in one respect. The idea is you set it up once and then leave it to work automatically. That's fine when it works of course but one thing you can't readily see is which computer an iOS device is linked to. So what I'm wondering is if have have explicitly set up Wi-Fi Sync between your Mac and iOS device. I only ask because you have the Windows machine too where maybe you have used Wi-Fi Sync?

One way to ensure the right devices are trying to communicate is to go down the route of disabling Wi-Fi Sync and setting it up again. this guide is about changing from a cloud based sync service to Wi-Fi but the steps remain the same, you disable the current sync method (which happens to be Wi-Fi) and then enable Wi-Fi.

This will allow you to see a list of the machines that 1Password for iOS can see and more importantly, on the screen where you set the secret you will be able to see the IP address and port number that Bonjour reported to 1Password for iOS. So if you're still having troubles that information may prove informative. I can't remember which but one of them usually looks messed up of Bonjour has thrown a hissy fit (which it can do). I think it's the IP address but of course I can't easily test as Bonjour is behaving for me at the moment.

Hopefully something there will either help us understand what is happening or all of it simply resolves itself. Either way please do let us know how you get along.

• sbowman1
    sbowman1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This last suggestion worked well and is just good information to know.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @sbowman1, I'm glad Wi-Fi Syncing is once again behaving. Should you have any other questions or issues please do post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.