Autofill no longer working. How do I restore? The safari extension shows it is enabled. What next?

Options
henningerd
henningerd
Community Member

Autofill no longer working. How do I restore? The safari extension shows it is enabled. What next? Advice?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• henningerd
    henningerd
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 4.4.2
    Extension Version: 4.4.0
    OS Version: OS X V 10.9.5
    Sync Type: wi fi

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henningerd,

Could you supply a little more detail please. When you say autofill what do you mean? I ask as there are a couple of ways of interacting with 1Password and it might be something specific to the way you usually work with 1Password. Once we're sure we understand what you call autofill we can hopefully advise :smile:

• henningerd
    henningerd
    Community Member
    Options

By autofill I mean by calling up the website by clicking on its link from inside 1 Password. It used to be that it would take me to the desired web site and fill in my user name and password and then open the web site page. All automatic. Now, when I click on its link from inside 1 Password, it takes me to the desired web site and stops. .... Thanks for you response to this!

• copdoc
    copdoc
    Community Member
    Options

How much clearer can the OP be, henningerd? I'm having the exact same problem, and it's rendering 1Password5 a pain the ass to use. So.... what's the fix?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@henningerd: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password does not AutoFill; rather it only fills in login information when you tell it to do so. It may be that your browser was doing this for you previously, however. AutoSubmit, on the other hand, sounds like it is on in 1Password.

If you select a login item from the 1Password extension in your browser, does it fill then? Also, please let me know which browser version you're using. We will get this sorted out for you! :)

@copdoc: You're actually heckling the original poster there! :ohnoes:

It doesn't sound like you're having the same problem, since you're using a much newer version of 1Password. Please uninstall the browser extension and then reinstall it. Then, if you're still having trouble, be sure to let me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using so we can get things working for you. Thanks in advance! :)

• mrw
    mrw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

I am having the same problem with AutoSubmit. It is a very recent occurrence. Perhaps the recent Safari update I installed on 2 July ?

So now I have to fill using the 1Password toolbar icon, rather than have it automatically fill when launching a login page from the 1Password app.

Safari Version: 7.1.7
    1Password Version: 4.4.3
    Extension Version: 4.4.0
    OS Version: OS X V 10.9.5

I have reinstalled the extension, but no change.

I do like being able to 'open & fill' from the 1Password app. Please fix/advise.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrw,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble with that! It turns out there's a known issue with the 1Password extension that causes a Go & Fill problem specifically with 1Password 4 for Mac. However, that's a problem filling the fields on a login form, whereas you said you're having trouble with autosubmit. The terminology can be a bit confusing sometimes, so just to make sure we're on the same page:

• Go & Fill / Open and Fill: When you double-click a Login item (or click the URL of a Login item) in the main 1Password app, it should open that website in your default browser, then fill your username/password in the login form.

• Auto-submit: After it fills your username/password, 1Password should automatically submit that form (similar to pressing Return/Enter, or clicking a 'submit' button).

When you open a Login item from the main 1Password app, what happens next? Does 1Password fail to fill your username/password on the website? Or does it fill them, but doesn't submit the form (so you manually have to press the Return/Enter key, or click a 'submit' button)?

I'm sorry for getting so specific about that - I just wanted to confirm if the problem you're experiencing is part of the known issue, or if this is something else. Thanks in advance!

ref: OPX-1022

• mrw
    mrw
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

Thanks for your attention.

It's the 'Go & Fill / Open & Fill' step that you described that is failing. It opens the website but does not fill the form.

For what it's worth, nor does it seem to 'Auto-submit' that empty form. For which I am thankful, because I can at least use the extension's tool-bar icon to get the form filled.

Not very long ago it would both fill the form and then 'Auto-submit' it. So I don't know what has changed, except to note that there has been a recent Safari update.

So it sounds like my issue matches your known issue.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrw,

Thanks for confirming that! Yes, you're right, that is definitely the known issue I was referring to - Go & Fill is having some trouble with 1Password 4 for Mac and version 4.4.0 of the extension. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! Our developers are working on this, and an update for the extension should be available shortly (version 4.4.1) which addresses some Go & Fill issues - although I don't know if it solves the specific issue you're experiencing. That should update automatically for you in Safari.

If that updated extension doesn't fix the issue, for now you can use the workaround of filling your Logins using the 1Password extension in Safari. To make it easy, you can use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut so you don't even need to click the extension icon. Once the bug has been fixed, you can go back to the regular Go & Fill method if you want.

Alternately, you can go back to using version 4.3.1 of the extension for now. You'll need to disable automatic extension updates in Safari first. To do that, follow these steps:

• In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences and select the Extensions tab.
    • Click on Updates at the bottom of that window, then un-check the option for "Install Updates Automatically".
    • Once you've done that, you can download the extension here: 1Password extension 4.3.1 for Safari
    • Double-click the 1Password-4.3.1.safariextz file you just downloaded.
    • In Safari, click the Install button when prompted to confirm the installation.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully my suggestions here help. Please let us know if you have more questions about that, thanks!

• mrw
    mrw
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

I can report:

The new version 4.4.1 of the extension does not resolve the issue. (It was downloaded by Safari automatically).

Installing version 4.3.1 does resolve the issue.

So I look forward to a fix. In the meantime I have disabled Safari's automatic extension updates, so would appreciate a note to this forum when the fixed version becomes available.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrw,

I'm sorry the 4.4.1 extension update didn't help, but thanks very much for trying that and confirming it's still a problem!

I am glad to hear everything is working again with version 4.3.1. I don't have a timeframe for when to expect a fix for the Go & Fill issue, but we'll certainly do our best to let you know as soon as that happens. Thanks for your patience in the meantime! :)

This discussion has been closed.